Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM

Default "I wish I had caught that one"!!!!!!!

So says our intrepid map maker, after a long hard fought and Losing battle with a pike.

Notice the look of excitement on I like Trout's face as he watched the sad climax to that epic battle.
But even tho he lost that battle, JTS1 did manage to get a pike or two thru the ice on Wednesday.

The rest of us, I like Trout, Sandalius and myself also all managed to score , even tho nothing big came out of the ice today.
I like Trouts pike, with cheering section in the background.

Sandalius first pike, caught as soon as he stuck his weiner down the hole! I like trout thinking "Its not fair, we were here longer, wheres my pike!!!

My touque head pike

After slaying monster pike at Clear, we headed over to PCR for some Burbot fishing, all except JTS1 who couldnt catch a burbot today no matter how he tried, even tho the other three of us were sitting in the same shack within 8 feet of him using the same gear and catching burbs fairly regularly. Even Sandalius managed a few, even tho he wouldnt touch them
Probably my highlight of the long day was watching Iliketrout get out of Sandalius's truck on PCR, must have been quite a terrifying drive, since first thing he did was kiss the ground...er...ice. Glad you werent hurt bud, and it was a great way to start off on that lake!
Some decent burbs and some actually decent sized as well as the usual pygmy walleyes to end the night. A 3 species day for Sandalius, Iliketrout and myself. And 2 for JTS1.
http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...Dec%2031%2009/

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 12-31-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM

Great pics Wayne...looks like you guys had a good time out on the ice!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 PM

Darn, wish I could've been there fellas. I could've screamed the fish up the hole. Ask JTS1, it works!!!!

You guys up for a fish this weekend??

Great pics guys, thanks for posting.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 PM

I have to work Sunday, but Saturday is an option.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Darn, wish I could've been there fellas. I could've screamed the fish up the hole. Ask JTS1, it works!!!!

You guys up for a fish this weekend??

Great pics guys, thanks for posting.
LOl it does work , yes. They jump right out of the water and onto your lap. Then the customary thing to do is scream like a little girl.

I really really do wish I had got that Pike in he was "GYNORMIS" as some say huh Steve. ROFL Ohhh Adam you my friend are a great guy to have around.
First he fell out of the truck right on his face. Steve looked over "One min he was there then he was gone... Where did he go Steve says. THEN..... We were showing our new friend Adam how to clean Burbs Steve snuck up behind him. With a grab of the shoulder and a scream "WATCH OUT FOR THERE TEETH" With a scream that would rival Fisherman Guys Adam wet himself a lil I am sure. The rest of the time was spent cut'n each other down and generally having a great time. And yes I am a great cook huh boys. Nutn like a midnight fish fry on the ice.

Once again it was a great time with even better people..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM

good job!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Teeth

I also forgot to mention, I learned a valuable lesson, I thought 30 pound power pro braid would be good enough for pike, and had one bite the hook and bait right off, so I am back to wire leaders for pike. It didnt break the line, the leftover end has clear tooth marks on it.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM

man...I wish I would've known you guys were going! I would've booked off work.

Seems like you had a great day...let me know if anyone is up for Saturday.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:56 PM

Hey Gease the Wease!
We gotta go south in the spring and hook up with Wayne, Jeff and Steve-three great guys-two great fishermen and an awesome hunter!
t
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Looks like a good day boy's,, good to see some pics up.. Thx Wayne..
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Jealous

I'm writing this while STILL at work . Glad someone had a good day in the frigid weather. Were you guys at the north or campground at Clear and did you drive on? Gonna head there on Sunday to see how it is.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Will, we were in the bay off the road, didnt drive on but some people did. It was pretty awesome watching the pike just under our feet check out the baits and sometimes even take them. I had 2 lines down in my tent, pike took the first bait and I missed it, but when Jeff started reeling in my other rod for me to get it out of the way, the pike took that one too, so Jeff handed me the rod back and I hooked it. Guess my pike was partly his too It was a good time, they were hitting a fair bit, we just didnt hook them all.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM

I was just a wing man on that mission The kill goes to you my friend.

Come on down Tony , wife says dont forget the dog. We will do another gathering when the ice comes off. Not to say that there wont be one on the ice soon , Been thinking of doing another lil potluck on the ice.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
Hey Gease the Wease!
We gotta go south in the spring and hook up with Wayne, Jeff and Steve-three great guys-two great fishermen and an awesome hunter!
t
WTH - I catch lots of fish too.....and yes - I don't like touching those slimey ugly burbot

Tony your statement would sound better like this - we need to go south and hook up with Wayne ( the great fisherman and photographer ) Steve ( the great hunter and fisherman ) Jeff ( the good fisherman and social butterfly ) and the other great people down there.

Seriously though it was another great time out on the ice with some great people, lots and lots of laughs at everybody's expence. No major injuries only 2 minor ones, 1 to Adam for falling on his face and 1 to Jeffs pride for only catching 2 species ( out fished again.. huh ).

NOBODY else seen this "GYNORMOUS" pike that Jeff had on his line, and I'm sure that over time, that this " pike " is just gonna get bigger and bigger every time he tells that " fishing story ".

Can't wait til we have a chance to do it all over again
Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 PM

Oh yeah, nice pics Wayne thanks for posting them !!!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 PM

Default Which rod

Did this supposed monster bite on his pink girly man fishing rod that he used when his wife outfished him at our last outing????? Sounds suspicious that he didn't get it up the hole.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalius View Post
WTH - I catch lots of fish too.....and yes - I don't like touching those slimey ugly burbot

Tony your statement would sound better like this - we need to go south and hook up with Wayne ( the great fisherman and photographer ) Steve ( the great hunter and fisherman ) Jeff ( the good fisherman and social butterfly ) and the other great people down there.

Seriously though it was another great time out on the ice with some great people, lots and lots of laughs at everybody's expence. No major injuries only 2 minor ones, 1 to Adam for falling on his face and 1 to Jeffs pride for only catching 2 species ( out fished again.. huh ).

NOBODY else seen this "GYNORMOUS" pike that Jeff had on his line, and I'm sure that over time, that this " pike " is just gonna get bigger and bigger every time he tells that " fishing story ".

Can't wait til we have a chance to do it all over again
Ok ya I may be a social butterfly , And that Pike was a monster I tell ya Darn thing looked like a sub in the water. It was sooo big..... It couldn't be cought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Did this supposed monster bite on his pink girly man fishing rod that he used when his wife out fished him at our last outing????? Sounds suspicious that he didn't get it up the hole.
And as for you MR I thought we were friends. I was just testing it for my wife. Got to make sure its up to standards you know. Nutn but the best for her...... I think we should forget about the rods and gear , just forget all that stuff. And focus on the good time we had ???

Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Next Time

Thats ok it's all about the fun of the day. Next time take the 30lb elevator Chin coulee line, steel leader and the only way he doesn't come up the hole is when he bends the hook. Good to hear there is monsters in there as I have only found the smaller ones in there. Want to give it a go soon as I need a rush of some bigger fish. Those little PCR clones just don't have the same effect on the day....
Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 AM

hey Ken, when you have a Sunday later this month I want to try Clear again, I will have to catch that submarine and get Jeffs hook back for him. The pink rod might have been better luck for him, who knows we were getting tired of showing him our burbot so he would know what one looked like too
Definitely a must do again day.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Default Sunday off

I was supposed to be off this Sunday but one of our guys just headed to Mexico so I have to do a cover shift this week. I will let you know as I am going to try doing a switch as I have not had one off in a while. Makes it tough tough to catch up un the mon-fri working types for fishing. Did you guys get any burbs at Clear. I have not fished for them there before but I have heard there are some bigger ones in their like the pike. Was thinking there or CV my next trip out this week or next.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm going to head there tomorrow for pike in the afternoon and burbs for the evening. Not sure if we'll go to the campground or the north, how much snow was there on the ice in the north. I won't be driving on but don't want to walk through 2 foot drifts.

Anyone out there tomorrow, come say hi, Red Eskimo tent and Red Nissan truck.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Great day on the ice guys, can't wait to get back out there and outfish jts1 again.

Apparently my first purchase of 2010 will be ice cleats!!

Can't make it out this weekend, but next weekend will be spent on the ice!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Adam I just got back from Enchant, yet again, taking a buddy from Calgary fishing next weekend, if you want to meet up somewhere let me know. I have to go pick him up Friday night then Saturday will be on the ice. Didnt catch my usual trout today, but I did see a very nice one, lots of perch as usual, even with the moon and the wind. Lots of snowdrifts too, had to shovel the car out once, and couldnt even get onto the pond this time, the access was 2 feet deep.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
how much snow was there on the ice in the north. I won't be driving on but don't want to walk through 2 foot drifts.
there were some pretty deep drifts along the shore, and after the wind today who knows what it will be like on the ice, might be blown clean or might be drifted waist deep.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds