Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Default fishing near edmonton

I am brand new to the edmonton area I just moved here from Kelowna where I was an avid hunter/fisherman. However, being new to the area i dont even know where to start. Any info/tips on nearby lakes or rivers and what kind of fish they hold would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sheepstalker
Old 05-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Welcome to Edmonton.
The river is a good place to start. There are walleye, pike, suckers, goldeye, whitefish, sturgeon and I am sure a few others I missed. Personally I have not had much luck there , but there are guys on here that do. You can try whitemud park by quesnell bridge, emily murphy park, Laurier park by the zoo, golbar, and under the bridges at the yellowhead across from hermitage park is popular.

There is also a stocked rainbow pond at hermitage park on the east side.

Out of town I have only tried the stocked ponds. Up by morinville thereis Cardiff and the morinville reservoir. And by spruce grove and stoney plain I have tried saure lake ( smaller trout ) and Muir is good for larger rainbows ( however there is a baitban and length restriction.

There are a bunch of other lakes west and south of stoney that I have not tried. The barry Mitchell guide is full of good info if you have not grabbed one yet.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Welcome aboard!

Definitely give the river a couple tries, I pulled 8 pike out of there today!

There are a few spots around town that are fairly easy to access...jts1 made a Google map of a lot of them, so you may want to shoot him a message if he doesn't show up in here on his own

A couple more trout ponds worth checking out would be Chickacoo (right beside Sauer near Spruce Grove) and the Beaumont pond. Chickacoo and Sauer have both recently been stocked so there's a lot of hungry little trout in there right now Not sure about Beaumont.

edit: Duh! Here's the link to the thread with the map http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=31662

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM

http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm

Shoot me a PM sometime, maybe I can show you some decent places. Im always looking for some more people to fish with.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Do you have a boat if so there are a lot of good lakes within two hours of Edmonton. We did a day trip up to Beaver lake today, caght a dozen plus 20 inch+ walley and about forty smallish pike, not bad for 5 hours. let me know if you need more info. Fishhawk
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM

thanks for all the help much appreciated! I head out to the river today had no luck. I am going to try again tomorrow Whitemud creek any good?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 AM

I don't think there is any fish in the creek itself , but where it joins the river should be a decent place to fish .
I have a fishing date with my recently turned 65 father in the morning. He lives about ten minutes from Cardiff so we are going to see how the action is there .
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstalker View Post
thanks for all the help much appreciated! I head out to the river today had no luck. I am going to try again tomorrow Whitemud creek any good?
I've heard both good and bad about that spot. I fished it a couple times last year but didn't have any luck there, but that doesn't always mean a lot.

If you're in the South end of the city, you might want to head out to Beaumont and check out the trout pond there...or even Leduc if that's not too far for you. I know the Leduc pond has recently been stocked. There are also a number of trout lakes up around Spruce Grove/Stony Plain. Check out the link ghostguy6 posted for those

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-24-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstalker View Post
I've had luck there this year, but only really early in the morning...~6:00AM. I've seen a few feeding right at the intersection of Whitemud creep n NSR. Not sure about the actual creek itself. Other than early mornings I havn't had any luck during the day. Past 9:00AM. Although I havn't tried in the evenings there.

Good luck!