Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Default inflatable boat advice

i currently have a 2004 lund 14ft boat, am toying with the idea of getting an inflatable boat and selling the lund, anyone have insight on which is better, aluminum or inflatable
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 PM

The type of waters you like to fish is paramount in deciding between inflatables vs. aluminum. Big wind can drive an inflatable across a lake in short order, if not at least give you trouble hovering over ledges for school fishing. Inflatables are easy to store, providing you have a mouse proof area/garage. Lots of obvious reasons for either boat,...like i mentioned, it's more to do with preference to where you like to fish, how big of water bodies, and weather.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:25 PM

I have both an 14ft alum and a 12ft inflatable. Wind is really a non issue, both will blow in the wind.

I would rather be in an inflatable in big water or rough water over any aluminum, they are much safer, period.

Weight for a decent 14ft inflatable will be around 200-230lbs to give you an idea if u dont already have a trailer you can use.

I use my inflatable more, but I do more river floats with it. Both can be modded as comfortably as you want to make it or spend money on.

What type of fishing do u do most? Is portability an issue? Whats your budget ect....
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM

well oneofthe reasonsi was interested in it is using it on rivers,i was also interested in being ablle to hit up bigger lakes like minnewanka and lesserslave, im pretty comfortable in the boati have now and have been in boats all my life, but now i have a kid on the way and im looking for something a little more stable, was thinking about buying a bigger boat but i also like fishing maligne and other lakes that are electric only, also figured it would be a little easier on gas with an inflatable in the box of my truck rather than pulling a boat
Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM

bump
Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Default boat

I was toying around with the exact same dillema, i wanted to tow the travel trailer and still be able to go fishing. After looking at a bunch of inflatables i found they weight the same as the aluminums in similar length. The second issue was loading and unloading myself, and i came to the comclusion that for most lakes in alberta that i will fish, either boat is no where to be when the water gets really bad so i opted for a deep wide aluminum, i got the ungava but was also looking at the alaskan series. And as far as loading and transporting i bought/built an automatic boat loader and i love it, i dont have to mess around with i just hit a button and it unloads it from the rack and places in right into the lake, reloading is the same, just bring it up to the truck, hook up the ropes and the loader does the rest. So thats my setup and im very happy with it, not sure if that helps or causes more confusion but thats my two cents.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM

My dad has a 15 ft. aluminum, i have a zebec inflatable. I love my inflatable for obvious reasons, storage, hauling, just all around handy. The reason i'd mentioned in my earlier post about wind, {and believe me neither boat is big enuff for HUGE winds} but at least in the aluminum, you have a wedge {v-bottom} that cuts into the water. Believe me this helps in wind and navigation of the boat. Inflatables simply do not grip the water as they sit directly on the surface. My inflatable actually has somewhat of a V-bottom as far as inflatables are concerned,{inflatable keel} but that said, it still sits on top, catching wind. It can haul way more weight than aluminum, classified for like 6 people, and will not tip...and works super on lakes with cover around them, or even in nomal wind, but i wouldn't take it out to the middle of Ghost Lake in high winds! I only have an electric motor on it...55 lb. thrust. Normal circumstances that's quite sufficient.

Last edited by finsnfeathers; 05-26-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 AM

I have an inflatable and my buddy has the aluminum, we have yet to take out the aluminum this year. I am finding that the inflatable has way more uses and can be put into many more waters than the aluminum. Its way easier to handle and I find them much more stable in the water.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:21 AM

I think you should go with the inflatable. You should probably get rid of your aluminum. Since you picked that up for a pretty good price I would suggest selling it at a very low price. Possibly to someone you work with and have known for years who is also an avid fisherman. I would even go as far to say you should give it away to that same person as a going away present since you won't see him for a few months. Just an idea...
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 PM

maybe if that person wasnt going to afghanistan on a tent recovery mission i might feel inclined to do so