Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2007, 09:37 PM
kanonfodder

Default New "OFFICIAL NHL THREAD"

Well some immature sort decided to get offensive so it looks like we need to start over.

Finally Lowe got rid of ol momentum killer MAB, sent to the Islanders....I hope this is the first of a few more trades that allow us to sneak into the playoffs, and win a few rounds so I don't have to post with a Flames banner....go OIL
Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 AM
BrownBear416

I don't care if they locked the thread or not........Kanon,Crafty and Perch are still going to fly those banner's.:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes .

Kanon... kevin L traded MAB because they have given up on this year's playoff's not because he has more trade's in mind.

I think you three will look great in red.8o 8o 8o
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Jamie Hunt

I think we should jump on the "I hate Van" wagon. Though perhaps I do enjoy the muck Edmonton has put themselves into, at this point we might as well dislike the California golden seals or perhaps the Nordiques. It's kind of like they don’t really matter.
Sad, but true.

Jamie
Old 02-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Tree Guy

You guys have another oil fan to contend with! Sending MAB east is simply a move to free up cap space. Their defence has been weak this season and they need a big gun. That's why mister bergeron is gone. They could have gotten a roll of tape for him and it wouldn't have bothered me! However, if the playoffs look out of sight, I think that Ryan Smyth is gonzo!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 AM
bigbore

Default heh heh

hmmm, my "or not" post got deleted
Old 02-19-2007, 04:23 AM
Craftyhunter

Default Re: heh heh

I don't care what anyone says, THANK GOD Bergeron is gone. Every year we have to have one defenceman that does more harm than good. This year every time there was a bonehead play Bergeron was right smack in the middle. Too bad we couldn't get something for right now. Lowe had better not have given up yet.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 PM
perchfisher90

Default Re: heh heh

lol...yall are all wrong:rollin I actually liked bergeron...sure he made some stupid plays but every one does at one time or another. He was the leading goal scoring defenceman for the oilers...and he had the hardest shot of the team and was the fastest skater in the skills competition. Plus he was a puck moving defenceman...and thats what we needed more of. So clearly Lowe has givin up on this season and is building the team for next year. As for this new guy, no clue at all who he is....hes been in the nhl 5 years and has only played 33 games:\

But believe it or not i still have faith:eek GO OIL!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
fallairfever

Default Re: Thats one deep hole!

Well I have not lost the faith "it aint over till its over!" but the Oil sure have a long way to go to hope to have a peak at the playoffs. 8 points behind minni and 23 games left is a large task. I too think trading MAB is the start of a couple more moves but who is out there that can impact the D right now without giving up the farm. Maybe too little too late for Lowe to pull something off.

I sure hope that they can sign Smyth I would hate to see him in any other uniform

Go Oil Go
If perchy is driving the bandwagon I'm ridin shotgun and if the wagon goes off a cliff this year Im goin with it!!

GO OILERS GO
Old 02-19-2007, 04:59 PM
gonefishin

I agree with perchfisher, Bergeron did make some mistakes.... mostly bad turnovers, but he was a good offensive defensman, and the only one the Oilers had. Sure the rest block alot of shots, but you still need some offence from the blue line to make it anywhere. I figured Nedved would have been the first to go for sure.... but now I'm figuring he's just going to be part of a big package deal..... probably with Smitty or Horcoff.... or maybe even Jason Smith, so they can resign Smitty and give him the "C".
Old 02-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Morbius131

Crafty I agree with you 100%. I have been saying for a LONG time that Bergeron is a waste of cap space, and a spot on the roster. As far as I am concerned, thanks Bergeron, don't let the door catch you on the way out. Yeah he scores once in a while but who is counting the 1, 2 or 3 goals he personally gives up a game and that is not even mentioning the mistakes he makes where the opposition gets a good scoring opportunity that Rollie bails him out on.

The other thing is that Bergeron doesn't make mistake to no name players, he makes them to the best player on the opposition. Three such instances that come to mind is the direct pass to Seleanne, the junk pass behind Hemsky picked up by Naslund and let us not forget the fan and give away to Sakic. Not sure about you, but I would rather not see any of these guys 1 on 1 with Rollie.

See you MAB, not going to miss you!

Morb
Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Okotokian

I think the MAB deal was simply that Lowe thinks he has better players or options, not that he has given up on this year. IF it was the latter, one would expect that he would jettison players, expecially high priced ones, who are entering free agency. Bergeron was the fourth highest paid defenseman (behind Smith, Staios and Tjarnquist), and awfully close to Greene and Haidja in salary as well, so he wasn't a huge cost, and he was signed for LONGER than any defencemen except Staios. If you were giving up, you would dump Tjarnquist, who is making over $600,000 more than Bergeron and is an unrestricted Free agent next year.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
gunslinger

Default breakaway

well you cant blame bergy for allowing an empty net goal to dallas that night when he gave the puck away, CAUSE HE DIDNT SCORE ON IT,,,,was only a matter of time before he was gone boys, last years playoffs and then this year in practice when mctavish told him to get his head out of his arse,, but i thought we would actually get something for our leading defense scorer other than a guy in the russian superleague that doesnt even play in the nhl.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Charmax

:| Holy crap I leave for two days, when I return all heck has broken loose. ANYWAYS back to hockey sorry to hear about the Northern loss tonight :lol . I heard thuo that the Coilers "Lowe" was trying hard to sign Smyth. Glad to see that they are making some moves now rather than wait until the last minute.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Jamie Hunt

Can someone PLEASE tell me why they cant win on the road.
only 7 wins so far.

They have some work to do before the playoffs.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 PM
BrownBear416

Default GRRRR

I agree with you Jamie very frustrating to watch.>: >:
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Tree Guy

Default Re: GRRRR

MAB was more of a liability than an asset. I have hated his guts since he blew Rollie's knee in game one of the final. I agree though, with his offensive up-side, I think that Lowe could have done better. It all has the smell of a big package deal trade that will improve the defense and get Smyth signed. All Smyth has done every season is get better. There is no player in the NHL who is better in front of the net. NONE! Losing him is not an option. He has become a heart-and-soul team guy, like the Steven's, the Yzerman's and the Sackic's, and even the Ignila's.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
kanonfodder

I feel your pain Jamie, neither can the Oil geez 2 points only on this road swing...St Louis in the reaerview mirror and stupin Minny keeps winning.....but things will turn around a kind and benevolent GOD would never allow me to fly a Flames banner on this forumn.......GO OIL
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Tree Guy

Hey Kanonfodder, based on your solid common sense on the black guns thread I just knew that you were smart enough to be an Oilers fan! HaHaHa!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 AM
kanonfodder

LOL Tree yea but we are livn in hostile territory here. Man we need wins in Columbus and Minny bad......I still think we shall see more trades coming this week......
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Okotokian

OK, I'll say it. I wouldn't bet a dime on the Oilers making the playoffs. I think they are done. And I'm an Oiler fan. But even I can read the writing on the wall.

No, I'm not "jumping off the bandwagon". I'll still cheer for them and hope. Just being realistic. Sort of like watching my son play basketball. He's my favourite player and I'll always cheer for him and encourage him, but I know he isn't the best player on the court.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Baulde

Default Whoa bullocks, whoa.

I take off for a week and the thread gets closed down. :eek

Im just stumped why the flames cannot perform on the road. Its just sad. Such a good home record, but dismal away. Its almost as if they come out and say "you know we just won at home, lets just sit this one out"

On the plus side its becoming more of a team game then just iggy and kipper. Kind of has to be since iggy has been ok but really nothing special and kipper has been letting a few weak ones in.

They have to pull a win off tonight or they are going to be within striking distance of being bumped out of a playoff spot.

In other news, happiness is knowing the greasers have a long way to catch up
Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
BrownBear416

Default GRRRRRR...............

I don't even know what to say about that game.

Key's to the Game.

Give away after give away..>:
Gave up the Lead Twice...>:
Kippy was just average..>:
Went for a nap in the third..>:

Coiler's move one point closer>: >: >: >: >:

Is it just be or is anyone else sick of those damn toyota commmercials>: >:

I think the we need to get rid of Playfair...what do you guys think.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Baulde

Default Re: GRRRRRR...............

Quote:
what do you guys think
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 AM
BrownBear416

Default Baulde

I have done that already...my head hurts...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:35 AM
kanonfodder

Default Re: Whoa bullocks, whoa.

Quote:
In other news, happiness is knowing the greasers have a long way to catch up
and in some other news we actually won on the road shutout over Columbus sure it was just the jackets but a win is a win on the road...oh yea a road win fellas that's when your team wins away from home.......:rollin ah just funnin we have a looooong way to go before I get real cocky
Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 AM
perchfisher90

All I have to say about tonight is BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:evil

What a great win by the oil...they sure are lookin sharp, not just this game but the whole road trip...altho at the start of the road the breaks werent coming our way. Roli has been fantastic lately, our deffence is doing the job pretty well...and the offence lines are clicking pretty good. We do have a way to go but we have proovin we can do this, and the oilers sure seem to feed of pressure and must win games. Just like last year, but im gonna say this anyway, this is the start of a long long winning streak (mabey with a loss or 2 here and there). As for the shames...well, just that...SHAMES...hahahaha. Losing to the coyotes!?!? pitiful.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Jamie Hunt

Good Lord what the hell was that?
This team needs a check up from the neck up. I also kinda think Playfair might be the issue. Could we see Sutter back behind the bench? Doesn’t seem like his style though. But still I am sure he will start to feel the pressure from Ken King.

As for you Perch
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
4 points out of ten will only get you one thing
A BETTER DRAFT PICK!
That being said if Calgary doesn’t get things headed in the right direction, you might have some competition on draft day.

That Ottawa game looked nuts! Old time hockey
Jamie
Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 AM
gunner 83

on a separate note, how about that melee in Buffalo!!! Thumbs up for a good old fashioned goalie fight! in case you missed it...FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Jamie Hunt

Did you hear the crowd going nuts?
And americans dont like violence in hockey

Jamie
Old 02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Okotokian

Quote:
But still I am sure he will start to feel the pressure from Ken King.
you think Jamie? I'm not so sure. I certainly have no inside knowledge, but it seems to me Darryl wears the pants in that relationship. Ken's an ex-newspaper editor who seems to tend to selling tickets and slapping corporate backs. Don't get me wrong, he seems as smooth and good as they come at doing that, but never saw him as a "hockey guy". Can't imagine him sitting Darryl down and giving him the gears about the Flames on-ice performance.