Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
What is this paid hunting you speak of.

Hunting license fees do not guarantee success, but nobody complains about them.
High fence farm hunts, farmed elk that are prescored end up in high fences and in a catalogue for people to shoot...surprised you are unaware it happens in your province?

LC
Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Banned

In Sask we buy a habitat certificate for a fund to buy lands to allow more hunting opportunities and save habitat. This is mandatory and in addition to all other licences. Cost is $10.79

Tell me what you think about this.

Gov't sets up a program, we'll call it Land owner cooperation fund. Hunters pay $10.00 into this fund in addition to all other licences.

When the land owner grants access to the hunter the land owner copies the hunters license number down and at the end of the season turns it into the gov't and is paid a certain amount.

That way the landowner that is doing everything he can to mitigate wild life damage gets some help, giving hunters access is a benefit to the hunter and land owner.

Those landowners not granting access are left out in the cold.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
High fence farm hunts, farmed elk that are prescored end up in high fences and in a catalogue for people to shoot...surprised you are unaware it happens in your province?

LC
I was aware of those, I thought you meant real hunting.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
In Sask we buy a habitat certificate for a fund to buy lands to allow more hunting opportunities and save habitat. This is mandatory and in addition to all other licences. Cost is $10.79

Tell me what you think about this.

Gov't sets up a program, we'll call it Land owner cooperation fund. Hunters pay $10.00 into this fund in addition to all other licences.

When the land owner grants access to the hunter the land owner copies the hunters license number down and at the end of the season turns it into the gov't and is paid a certain amount.

That way the landowner that is doing everything he can to mitigate wild life damage gets some help, giving hunters access is a benefit to the hunter and land owner.

Those landowners not granting access are left out in the cold.
Might work. I'd rather have 10 tags a my disposal to hand out to I see fit. $10 doesn't go far to fix the damages that might occur. And a 6 month season
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Might work. I'd rather have 10 tags a my disposal to hand out to I see fit. $10 doesn't go far to fix the damages that might occur. And a 6 month season
I am saying each hunter pays $10.00 into the fund. Lets say 10,000 hunters= $100,000.00

$100,000.00 pool to be paid from if you allow access.

If you could prove $1000.00 damage and you provided access to hunters, you are paid out of the fund

Nominal fee for the hunter, landowner encouraged to allow access, hunters provided access.

Everybody happy.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I was aware of those, I thought you meant real hunting.
agree in the real hunting part

LC
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Land preservation is already being done by ACA, Ducks Unlimited, and Buck for Wildlife, from licence dollars. A pay as you go system to the land owner is not needed for hunting opportunities to be given by farmers.

Being a farmer, in rural land, recognizes a relationship with wildlife.

Wildlife belongs to everyone, not just hunters. If a land owner does not want to give access, then fine. Don't complain about crop loss or damage when the free public mechanism for damage control is refused: Hunters.

Any more cheaply veiled excuses for paid access hunting must be challenged. It is an attack on an activity which we have protected by legislation, and promoted by our government as a valid use of a public resources.

The truth be known, farmers will complain about anything for a buck. Farming is a business, and given the massive profits earned over the last few years, interaction with wildlife is just another cost of doing business.

Drewski
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Land preservation is already being done by ACA, Ducks Unlimited, and Buck for Wildlife, from licence dollars. A pay as you go system to the land owner is not needed for hunting opportunities to be given by farmers.

Wildlife belongs to everyone, not just hunters. If a land owner does not want to give access, then fine. Don't complain about crop loss or damage when the free public mechanism for damage control is refused: Hunters.

Any more cheaply veiled excuses for paid access hunting must be challenged. It is an attack on an activity which we have protected by legislation, and promoted by our government as a valid use of a public resources.

The truth be known, farmers will complain about anything for a buck. Farming is a business, and given the massive profits earned over the last few years, interaction with wildlife is just another cost of doing business.

Drewski
Oh oh..... now your in for it.... lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM

Could work. F&w will provide us with fence for our bales which is a start. Two years ago neighbour had his oats swathed and then it snowed. Elk combine come in and cleaned it all up for him. 100% write off. Pretty hard to blame the wildlife for trying to survive. I can blame the people for leaving garbage and making a mess in my field.
Trick around here is to get bales in before the snow. 6" of snow you'd better look out because the elk are coming.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
Do you make these views known to the land owner when you are on his door step asking permission?

My guess is not, he is your best friend and the greatest guy when you are face to face wanting something from him.

Then you come back here and tell everyone what you really think of landowners.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 AM

EXPMLER you really have no say here alberta all you are doing is trolling . why don't you go complain on a sask hunting site?

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
EXPMLER you really have no say here alberta all you are doing is trolling . why don't you go complain on a sask hunting site?
Sask hunters respect landowners. I guess I'll take the same attitude when the truck with Alberta plates pulls into my yard this fall.

I'll tell them some guy in Airdrie told me that out of province hunters have no business here, so go back to Alberta.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I'm sure he don't need defending but he is bringing to the table issues we face in God's country as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I think if the gov't would make it legal they could also put a cap on the fee.
Then how much longer would it be before they started lobbying to remove the cap. Allow landowners to sell their wares to whatever the market will bear. Its kinda like the grain market. Would you really be happy with $10 when you might be able to get $100, i think not. Like i said ,where will it end
Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Back to main theme
Should there be paid hunting? Imo no
Should I as landowner be able to charge access fee? ? Yes

Why?
I don't own the wildlife but I do own the land they're walking on.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Then how much longer would it be before they started lobbying to remove the cap. Allow landowners to sell their wares to whatever the market will bear. Its kinda like the grain market. Would you really be happy with $10 when you might be able to get $100, i think not. Like i said ,where will it end
OK scrap that. Did you see my other proposal? what do you think of that one?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Back to main theme

Why?
Kinda like a rental car.

They won't let you use it for free, but they will let you use it for a fee.

You want access to the car, pay the fee.

Once you pay the fee, use it however you like just don't damage it.

You don't like that deal, buy your own vehicle.

Cant afford a vehicle, take the bus.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
It could happen no doubt but me, myself and I won't compromise my values for a buck. If I like you you're welcome access if I don't then your not welcome.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Some farmers in Alberta already skirt this issue...charging a "parking fee" or "game recovery fee" ... I am sure some folks here have taken these farmers up on it....

LC
Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Kinda like a rental car.

They won't let you use it for free, but they will let you use it for a fee.

You want access to the car, pay the fee.

Once you pay the fee, use it however you like just don't damage it.

You don't like that deal, buy your own vehicle.

Cant afford a vehicle, take the bus.
Pretty much. Hate the friggin ruts in my hay field. Hard enough to control my self. Lol
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 PM

sure if all the farmers want payed hunting fine but no more subsidies from the goverment and no coverage for crop lost do to wildlife

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
sure if all the farmers want payed hunting fine but no more subsidies from the goverment and no coverage for crop lost do to wildlife

no more insurance?.....insurance cpmanies would be unhappy...

LC
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Anyone taking bets on how long before this dead horse gets buried? I think sometime after 6pm tonight
Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Where is this payed hunting coming from? You want me to pay you to hunt? Don't hold your breathe.

Subsidies? What are you talking about? The amount of money my farm brings in probably wouldn't pay your utilities. My company subsidises my farm. You sure don't.

There is not a whole lot of money in a farming operation. It does have its perks like long hours little pay but at least you're your own boss and get to work at home. If you look at the farming demographic there is not a whole lot of new start ups. Why ? Because there is no money in it. Kind of like going to the bar and throwing your bank roll into the video lottery

Last edited by norwestalta; 03-28-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
How much of my paycheck goes to feeding farm subsidies already?
What farm subsidies??
I haven't gotten a buck in farm subsidy in 18 years.

But somehow we farmers are forced to feed the ever increasing numbers of the queens wildlife for free and can't even take a single one as compensation without having to buy a tag like everyone else.

I largely side with Expmler.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Anyone taking bets on how long before this dead horse gets buried? I think sometime after 6pm tonight
??? Explain please wise one.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
What farm subsidies??
I haven't gotten a buck in farm subsidy in 18 years.

But somehow we farmers are forced to feed the ever increasing numbers of the queens wildlife for free and can't even take a single one as compensation without having to buy a tag like everyone else.

I largely side with Expmler.
You bet.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
I like this idea ranch. I don't need ten elk but if I could have the tags and disperse them to people I want to would be a great idea.
PLUS, then you could sell the tags as part of the price for gaining access.....Big bucks!

I lived in Germany for 5 years and all of the hunting there is done on private property where you have to pay to access the land, pay for whatever it is that you harvest, a trophy fee and then more if you want to keep the meat. The end result is that only people that are well off financially can afford to hunt. I would never want to see something like that happen in Canada and I would therefore oppose any calls for going that route.

Either you allow access for hunting or you don't......pretty simple. If you have problem wildlife and you don't allow access to hunters in order to control the problem then why would you complain about the problem if you are doing nothing about it.

If I had beavers causing damage to my land and a trapper volunteered to trap them for me, do you think that I should charge him money to access my land when he's doing me a favour?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
PLUS, then you could sell the tags as part of the price for gaining access.....Big bucks!

I lived in Germany for 5 years and all of the hunting there is done on private property where you have to pay to access the land, pay for whatever it is that you harvest, a trophy fee and then more if you want to keep the meat. The end result is that only people that are well off financially can afford to hunt. I would never want to see something like that happen in Canada and I would therefore oppose any calls for going that route.

Either you allow access for hunting or you don't......pretty simple. If you have problem wildlife and you don't allow access to hunters in order to control the problem then why would you complain about the problem if you are doing nothing about it.

If I had beavers causing damage to my land and a trapper volunteered to trap them for me, do you think that I should charge him money to access my land when he's doing me a favour?
^^^^^^^^^^^Making sense ^^^^^^^^
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Back to main theme

Why?
I asked exmplr if he would be happy if all animals were removed from his property never to return?

He said from a business standpoint yes, but not as a hunter.

So I'm really confused on what a farmer suffering crop damage wants fixed but while playing the field on a potential boon from hunters down the road.

If the animals were removed - high fenced out - and then down the road it became hunky dory to charge for access, would you be cutting the fence in hopes that crop damaging herds return?
Closed Thread