Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Same old tired argument, "guns cause crime". I own 10 handguns and yet none of them has hurt anyone or been involved in a crime.

You can drive an f1 if it meets motor vehicle laws.

Why not a ban on alcohol, no real need for it.

The point is, I am allowed to wear a helmet when I go outside if I choose to.
....becuase the use and transport of pistols is severely restricted roughly since the 60's where did o state guns cause crime ??? Your making things up again .
Right now law states joe public cant carry a pistol .
I would have little problem with the laws on alckhol and tobacco being changed , would save billions in the long run ..but like firearms ..the industry supports there use what some miss in these threads is I support reasonable restrictive access to all fire arms ..with a personal belife that training shold be to a similar standard. Yet in the AO world one still gets attacked ..the chances of some of us AO folk convincing regular folk this ATC carry is zero , zilch . nada ....when you speak of fear ...who want a gun just to go in the bush ???
Old 12-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I vote "yes" to carry a handgun so chock one up for the good guys/gals.
I guess I`m against it.I have thought long and hard about this,I`d like to carry but ...man...there are guys and gals with short tempers and small brains and I see nothing but grief ahead if everyone could carry.~Specially this time of year,likker,crowds,Boxing Day sales,traffic,sad people,
Carry in the bush is O.K. but on the street ,nope.But how do you get the bush carry without having guys demand street carry?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
....becuase the use and transport of pistols is severely restricted roughly since the 60's where did o state guns cause crime ??? Your making things up again .
I would have little problem with the laws on alckhol and tobacco being changed , would save billions in the long run ..but like firearms ..the industry supports there use what some miss in these threads is I support reasonable restrictive access to all fire arms ..with a personal belife that training shold be to a similar standard. Yet in the AO world one still gets attacked ..the chances of some of us AO folk convincing regular folk this ATC carry is zero , zilch . nada ....when you speak of fear ...who want a gun just to go in the bush ???
The transport and use laws have very little to do with the fact that I am a sane individual that owns handguns. Relaxing those laws would not make me any less responsible or more likely to use them in a crime.

So you would restrict alcohol use the same way handgun use is restricted?

The access laws we have now are not reasonable. I look at ATC as an insurance policy, no one fears that their house will burn down but they still carry insurance just in case it happens.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I guess I`m against it.I have thought long and hard about this,I`d like to carry but ...man...there are guys and gals with short tempers and small brains and I see nothing but grief ahead if everyone could carry.~Specially this time of year,likker,crowds,Boxing Day sales,traffic,sad people,
Carry in the bush is O.K. but on the street ,nope.But how do you get the bush carry without having guys demand street carry?
How do you feel about hunting season when almost everyone you meet has a gun. Do you think any of them has a short temper or a small brain?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Scenario- myself or a family member in a coffee shop or bank some nut holds us hostage,i would give my right _ _ _ if one individual had ccw or ocw and put that person down,just like in parliament,he would be a hero in my book.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Probably the same way that we are allowed to carry loaded long guns in the bush, but not in the street.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
True but there will be certain protocol to follow, achieve in order to have the right to carry etc. No stopping someone from running their car through a school yard full of kids either. Like everything else we will bank on the part of not everyone in our society will escalade their small brain/short temper into acts of violence.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
How do you feel about hunting season when almost everyone you meet has a gun. Do you think any of them has a short temper or a small brain?
Exactly.
How many Boxing Day shopper shootings was there south of the boarder?
There are so many people that are long on speculation and short on logic that CC will be an up hill battle.
I would expect it from the anti gun crowd but I am disappointed by the number of sportsmen here that are against it.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Old 12-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Imagine Saterday night at the local bar.Or a guy who cuts another guy off in traffic or,Gee,some enraged hockey parent when there kid gets a penalty,or any number of Oilers fans sitting behind the bench(OK,that was just a shot)
I`m a hunter,48 seasons and counting.Guys in hunting season are HUNTING.Stuff does happen but very rarely.Usually over a treestand.Random people packing handguns in real life situations can get into big trouble fast.What a guy would normally walk away from can escalate into the OK Corral pretty fast.You know guys like that.We all do.
If I could figure a way to keep handgun carry to just the responsible and less likely to flame out and get all video game on the first guy who p1ssed them off I would be rich.Do you really want everybody to pack a Glock 9?
99.999% of hunters are responsible.They make up a very small section of the general population.Only 2.8% of the pop of Alberta hunts,I trust them.So...only guys who have been hunting for at least 10 years can get a permit to carry.Yup,That ain`t gonna fly.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Exactly.
How many Boxing Day shopper shootings was there south of the boarder?
There are so many people that are long on speculation and short on logic that CC will be an up hill battle.
I would expect it from the anti gun crowd but I am disappointed by the number of sportsmen here that are against it.
Had one in Ontario on Boxing day this year.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
probably the same way that we are allowed to carry loaded long guns in the bush, but not in the street.
lmao
Old 12-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Imagine Saterday night at the local bar.Or a guy who cuts another guy off in traffic or,Gee,some enraged hockey parent when there kid gets a penalty,or any number of Oilers fans sitting behind the bench(OK,that was just a shot)
I`m a hunter,48 seasons and counting.Guys in hunting season are HUNTING.Stuff does happen but very rarely.Usually over a treestand.Random people packing handguns in real life situations can get into big trouble fast.What a guy would normally walk away from can escalate into the OK Corral pretty fast.You know guys like that.We all do.
If I could figure a way to keep handgun carry to just the responsible and less likely to flame out and get all video game on the first guy who p1ssed them off I would be rich.Do you really want everybody to pack a Glock 9?
99.999% of hunters are responsible.They make up a very small section of the general population.Only 2.8% of the pop of Alberta hunts,I trust them.So...only guys who have been hunting for at least 10 years can get a permit to carry.Yup,That ain`t gonna fly.
Handguns don't automatically turn people into asshats !
I have no idea where you think that this happens , as in your example of a hockey game - that is nothing but paranoia on your part, and the fact that you mention a Glock proves it.
"Glock" is the word that the antis love to use when spouting off about this stuff and I have no idea why, the ganged things are the ugliest, most uncomfortable hand guns Ii have ever shot!
I think if you do a bit of research you will find that open carry states have very little of what you imagine, actually going on.
HOWEVER, this thread was not about open public carry, it is about carrying hand guns while hunting, and just because people have a hand gun does not make them "crazy shoot everyone that pizzes them off" nuts!
This thread is so full of false statements and paranoid thinking it's time for me to quit looking at it.
C'ya
Cat
Old 12-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Had one in Ontario on Boxing day this year.
That was gang related and not caused by a hot headed shopper.
If caught in the middle of that would you feel safer knowing that you have not got the choice to CC?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
That was gang related and not caused by a hot headed shopper.
If caught in the middle of that would you feel safer knowing that you have not got the choice to CC?
Exactly, and it just proves that our ridiculous gun laws do nothing but leave law abiding citizens defenseless against gun wielding criminals.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly, and it just proves that our ridiculous gun laws do nothing but leave law abiding citizens defenseless against gun wielding criminals.
Well,it ain`t never going to happen that we can carry.And by the way,when is the last time you felt the need to pull a gun on a man?We have a pretty safe country here.You are allowed to pack a defender pump 12 gauge almost everywhere you know.Do that.Scary as hell too.Bad guys won`t even look twice at you.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM

We are all comfortable with allowing police to carry hand guns.
Why are so many people afraid of allowing themselves, friends and family to carry?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well,it ain`t never going to happen that we can carry.And by the way,when is the last time you felt the need to pull a gun on a man?We have a pretty safe country here.You are allowed to pack a defender pump 12 gauge almost everywhere you know.Do that.Scary as hell too.Bad guys won`t even look twice at you.
I love this attitude of the closet anti-pistol folks. "It ain't gonna happen so don't bother." A lot said we'd never get rid of the registry so don't bother trying as well.

If we don't try it's guaranteed to not happen, but if we do fight for it, who knows?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
A defender is not practical for wilderness, open carry.
That's what this thread is about.
Registered trappers can get a permit resident trappers can't.
I carry a mares leg but I can't carry my Blackhawk.
Where is the logic in that?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Never been in a car accident, still wear a seatbelt.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
We are all comfortable with allowing police to carry hand guns.
Why are so many people afraid of allowing themselves, friends and family to carry?
If more people actually watched the RCMP or the sheriffs practice and qualify with their handguns, they might not be so comfortable with these people carrying handguns.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
A defender is not practical for wilderness, open carry.
That's what this thread is about.
Registered trappers can get a permit resident trappers can't.
I carry a mares leg but I can't carry my Blackhawk.
Where is the logic in that?
How about this for illogical. I live on a farm, nearest neighbor is 3 miles away.

I can't shoot my handguns anywhere on my property, but instead must transport them to town to go to the range.

I can use my BAR to shoot coyotes, but not my AR.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
I do, why should I have to?
Why do people wet there pants when they see a pistol? Fishguner, can you explain?
Pppppppppppppp. Ppppppppppp pppppppppppp pppistols scare mmmmmmmeeeee. .?
We shouldn't have to.

Just mentioning the option for those who might be unaware.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If more people actually watched the RCMP or the sheriffs practice and qualify with their handguns, they might not be so comfortable with these people carrying handguns.
True in some cases. I've seen some pretty poor displays of taking a person down and getting under control also.
I'm all in favour of proper training and recertification.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
How about this for illogical. I live on a farm, nearest neighbor is 3 miles away.

I can't shoot my handguns anywhere on my property, but instead must transport them to town to go to the range.

You could go into Boxing Day rage on that 3 mile trip to town. LOL
It would be safer if you could stay at home and shoot.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

Just goes to prove the SHEER STUPIDITY of our gun laws and our fear mongering, vote begging government!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Let me respond to this post in a manner you might feel more comfortable with.
Glag blug AO huytr nugga bzzzzt clik blarg grang droog barvelbit gloopy!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Just goes to prove the SHEER STUPIDITY of our gun laws and our fear mongering, vote begging government!
That and the irrational fear of guns the general public who support those laws suffer from, a few of which are among us.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
And the Bazinga of the year award goes to____.
Well played.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post