Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Default fishing near gp??

hey im trying to get out and wet a line but i dont know where to start arounf grande prairie. im just gonna be doin some shore casting. does anyone have any sugestions?? thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

It could be slim pickings around G.P. if your looking for lakes. I seen lot of fish caught across the boarding into B.C. at Swan Lake and One Island. Id recomend One Island early spring and fall off the launch. Swan Lake there is a creek that flows into the lake at the boat launch which can produce but check regs because you cant fish the creek. Cast a Berkley Flicker Shad and you will be rewarded.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM

swan lake by Debolt......BIG fish.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM

What are you looking to catch, Quinner? You prefer lake or river fishing? I can tell you a few good places to check out, let me know what you prefer, I prefer the river fishing myself.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM

well iv never river fished so if u could give me some pointers at getting started itd be much aprectiated. i dont care what im catching as long as i get something every once in a while lol . i just misss fishing so i went out and got some new gear. any tips for this alberta fishing noob would be awsome!!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 PM

The Wapiti and Smoky will both produce decent fish from shore, spinners, jigs small spoons will work. Bait is allowed on the Smoky below the HWY 43 bridge minnows on a pickeral rig will produce fish.
Spring lake is all right from shore (try the beaver dams) check with the F&W before heading out as there were Grizzlys around the lake and they had it shut down.

If you need some more info drop me a PM. More then willing to help out.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM

You want some good fishing go to Slave Lake shaw's point has some great wallye fishing its about an hour and a half to two hours from G.P and ive talked to a few people who are catching 20+" walleye's right from the marina its unreal there right now

something a little closer to G.P is Two lakes, Sturgen lake, spring lake hope this helps
Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 AM

thanks alot. im thinkin about takin a tour up to the two lakes to check it out.