Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Auto Parts

Anyone tried Rockauto.com for parts. Friend suggested I look before buying a blower motor for the heating system on a Toyota van. Best price from a local dealer was $221 and $122 from Rockauto including shipping. Confirmed his experience buying a bunch of front end parts for an SUV at about half the prices available elsewhere. Delivery about a week.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 PM

Ordered at least 5 times from them, they're great. No additional duties or anything. I love the price but also the wide selection when you might want higher quality (or the value options, if that's your bag)

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-19-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Ordered at least 5 times from them, they're great. No additional duties or anything. I love the price but also the wide selection when you might want higher quality (or the value options, if that's your bag)
Yep, local outfit brought in wrong part and I ended up getting it from rock auto, use them when I can.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:53 AM

Rock Auto is great. I don't know where you're located but I can recommend a couple of places that'll match RA's pricing in Edmonton.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 AM

I use RA for pretty much all my parts unless it's something I need right away.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Rock Auto is great. I don't know where you're located but I can recommend a couple of places that'll match RA's pricing in Edmonton.
I am in Edmonton, would love to know of places that match Rock Auto pricing for the same quality of parts. I have bought many thousands of dollars in Auto from Rock over the past 15 years and have NEVER found a place even remotely close to them for pricing here in Canada.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:37 AM

I have bought several AC Delco parts at Rock Auto and saved a lot. Usually my parts are here in three days. Can't beat them.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Auto Parts

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware of this source so partly put it out there so others may give it a try and looks like considerable savings if you can wait a few days.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am in Edmonton, would love to know of places that match Rock Auto pricing for the same quality of parts. I have bought many thousands of dollars in Auto from Rock over the past 15 years and have NEVER found a place even remotely close to them for pricing here in Canada.
Would be interested as well...the only situtation I have found that is somewhat close is to buy under a company account that is heavily discounted. Even then only limited brands are available.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:14 AM

Parts King in Edmonton. Order online and pickup at their warehouse. They are pretty competitive most times with RA after you consider shipping. Not always but worth checking so you don't need to wait. The service is great too. I emailed them and they get back to you right away. I even gave them my cell number and a guy called right away and we figured out what I needed over the phone. Purchased and went and picked up.

https://www.partsking.ca/default.aspx
Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Rock Auto is hard to beat. Quick shipping and no hidden costs. Was quoted $1050 for a Ford Motorcraft A/C compressor locally, RA was $450 with shipping, Expansion Valve, and Drier... all Motorcraft parts.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Which shipping method are you guys using from Rock Auto?

If I use fedex (cheapest fastest method they offer) do you get hit with brokerage fees?
Old 10-20-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Parts King in Edmonton. Order online and pickup at their warehouse. They are pretty competitive most times with RA after you consider shipping. Not always but worth checking so you don't need to wait. The service is great too. I emailed them and they get back to you right away. I even gave them my cell number and a guy called right away and we figured out what I needed over the phone. Purchased and went and picked up.

Wow that is pretty good. Just picked up a blower motor for a fried from WSI on the south side and paid $20 more. Will check out parts king when I need something in a rush.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Which shipping method are you guys using from Rock Auto?

If I use fedex (cheapest fastest method they offer) do you get hit with brokerage fees?
no brokerage fees , thats UPS BS ..
Old 10-20-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
no brokerage fees , thats UPS BS ..
Thanks I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM

I use amazon !Im a prime member and 2 day shipping free. never let me down and there website is way better than rock auto !!!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Thumbs up

I've used Rock Auto 2-3 times albeit when our dollar was close to par. The variety is great for common autos and pricing is hard to beat even with shipping factored in. I do believe that Rock Auto now has a couple Canadian warehouses and you can customize your order to minimize shipping points (or at least you could back when,,,) to minimize shipping charges. I would recommend the USPS option which is slower, but, you won't get stiffed with Courier unexpected brokerage charges.

If you live close to the border, you could have the order drop-shipped and pick it up yourself, potentially saving yourself some coin...

-Willy
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Thumbs up

partsking, thx for that
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I use amazon !Im a prime member and 2 day shipping free. never let me down and there website is way better than rock auto !!!
X2, i use them for alot of auto / truck parts and have great delivery with Prime.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:51 PM

I have bought many parts from them, for example a cfi to mpfi injector conversion for 1998 5.7 vortec truck, and their price for delphi brand piece was half of napas price even with my mechanic’s discount.

Even my mech said to order it, he couldnt touch their price.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 PM

I have been using Partsking for a long time now. Very helpful and great prices...saved a ton.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post

So Beerhunter - tired your suggestion. Power Steering hose - Dodge Dealer $168, NAPA $48, Rock Auto $28.04 CDN incl shipping, exact same make of hose from Parts King $20.27 pickup in the West End of Edmonton. Thanks for the tip, no waiting 4 days to get my truck back on the road. GREAT to have a local place that is competitive. Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM

I have a wholesale parts account with an Edmonton shop and I still use Rockauto sometimes. If I need it in a hurry, I buy it locally. If I am not in a rush, I order from Rockauto.

Had to rebuild the bottom end of an engine. Needed bearings, timing set, oil pump and screen, full gasket set. Saved almost 200 bucks on Rockauto.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Recently ordered upper control arms and ball joints for my f150. Paid $20 for 5-10 day shipping, received my items in 2 business days! Great prices as well.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM

I placed a Rockauto order on Thursday and just got the complete order at my door on Monday. I'll check Parts King for a couple of other items later this week.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Another plug for Rock Auto, great price and fast service. Also get a discount on their already low prices on your next purchase.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 AM

another huge recommendation for rockauto.

i've used them for years for personal vehicles, but just this last month i've opened my own repair garage here in whitehorse. on vehicles that have much more relaxed repair timelines i'm using them almost exclusively.

eg today i priced a head gasket, rear brake and rear pinion seal job on a 2003 Legacy. the local jobber - discount included - was north of $1500. the exact same parts from the exact same manufacturers are coming from rockauto for just under $1000. i'd like to think that competitive part pricing is solid portion of why i was able to secure that job.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
I have been using Partsking for a long time now. Very helpful and great prices...saved a ton.
Same here, they are tough to beat and no waiting around for the Fed/Ex guy.