Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 AM

Default Fly fishing in PCR

So a few days ago I was fishing in PCR and using smelts for bait for the walleye. I hate using bait typically but it's the only way ive tried to fish for walleye and figured it would be the only way I would have a fair chance at catching fish there. Just for fun I brought out the fly rod to see what it would be like to land a walleye on one and I had much greater success than using bait. I even landed a pike off the dock with the clouser minnow. I figured everyone else are feeding the fish bait so why not try something different and I had amazing success using a fly (similar to the one below). Anyone else had success using a fly rod in there?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM

I have never tried a fly on PCR but am now going to give it try. What techinque were you using.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

Was there on opening day, lots of fish caught with a rabbit strip zonker. Didn't have any clousers on hand. Fly fishing beats the hell out of rebaiting hooks or removing trebles from those little walters. They got good head shakes, too bad they can't pull any line out
Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Hey cougar I just let the line sink to the bottom then took the slack off every 5 or 10 seconds or so. I put around 3 or feet of 0 tipper and let it hit the bottom till the end of my floating line started sinking. Once I saw the slack line straighten i gave it a tug. Bounce it off the bottom and haul in every 10 seconds or so should do the trick!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Was there on opening day, lots of fish caught with a rabbit strip zonker. Didn't have any clousers on hand. Fly fishing beats the hell out of rebaiting hooks or removing trebles from those little walters. They got good head shakes, too bad they can't pull any line out
True that man...baiting hooks is a pain the balls bro!