Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Anyone like the 325 wsm caliber?

I shot my Dall sheep this year with my guides browning 325 wsm. My gun (and me) took a bad spill. The 325 wsm flattened that ram! I wish Sako would make one. Does anyone think they will soon? Let me know if you think it's worth buying.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 PM

Default Anyoner like the 325 wsm?

Let me know if you think it's worth owning?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 AM

I load the 325WSM for two different fellas, and they both simply love it!
The rifles are Browings however, don't know if sako will do one.
I also know a guy who shoots one in a browning single shot - same thing, loves the caliber.

Cat
Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 AM

YUP! especially if you like the 8mm bullets.
Cat
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Let me know if you think it's worth owning?
Depends on the gun more than the caliber. Rather have a .338 Win Mag or .338RCM, maybe even a .338 Federal. .325 WSM's probably just fine, but a bit more gun than I'll ever need in this part of the world
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM

Default 325wsm

I've been waiting for this discussion for a bit and have spent the last few nights doing some reading on this calibre.

I was planning on purchasing a 338wm as addition to my current 30-06 but noticed that some of the newer model guns i'm interested in seem to only be chambered for the 325wsm and not the 338wm.

There seems to be a smaller selection of the 8mm bullets compared to the 338 but thats fine with me. I dont need a huge selection. I'm just looking for a gun with a little more punch than my 30-06. I know its all shot placement but I'm still quite excited to get a new toy to play with.

From the reading I've done so far, the 325wsm seems pretty good to me.

Now I just need to hurry up and wait for the new model 70 to come out.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Sako

I think Sako will push the 338 Federal caliber they released last year.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 AM

I like it. In fact once my 270WSM purchase is out of the way, I will be savin pennies for the 325. I like the fact that it is short action, and from what I have read, and heard from those in the know, they perform somewhat close to the 338, but burn less powder per pill, as well as less recoil.

Do I NEED one? probably not, but I want to have one, and I will be rigging it up a bit different then my other rifles, so why not.
My only concern with this calibre, is ammo availability, but I reload, so I will for sure be stockpiling on new brass once I get close to buying it. I say go for it if you want one, plus the more dudes that buy one...........the more popular they will be.......
Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM

One of my hunting partners purchased one and hunted with it last year....

I shot it a few times at the range and have to admit, being a handloader, I got excited about the 8mm possibilities....

But that being said, it is a lot of gun to shoot.....and quite frankly, he couldn't handle the recoil well at all, making the rifle fairly useless in his hands...

In his hands it was a prefect example of not being able to shoot a rifle of that "punch" and he would have been better off shooting something smaller that he could manage....

Otherwise....I liked it! His was a browning White gold medallion....beautiful rifle....I don't own anything larger than my 300WSM, and would seriously consider buying one if I ever wanted to get into anything larger....
Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 AM

There are tons of people these days thinking they either need to re-invent the wheel, or shoot something that has been reinvented.

If you think the .325 "flattened" the sheep better than a host of other cartridges that could easily have done it just as well.....so be it.

But if your asking if its the "end all/be all" cartridge...it aint!

I would throw a bet out there, that in the next 7 yrs, it will be a "has been, that wasnt quite a nothing" cartridge.

IMO there are lots available out there, that qualify as a "sheep blaster" long before the .325 WSM does!

READ .338 Winchester Magnum.....How many folks consider this to be a "sheep gun"??
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
There are tons of people these days thinking they either need to re-invent the wheel, or shoot something that has been reinvented.

If you think the .325 "flattened" the sheep better than a host of other cartridges that could easily have done it just as well.....so be it.

But if your asking if its the "end all/be all" cartridge...it aint!

I would throw a bet out there, that in the next 7 yrs, it will be a "has been, that wasnt quite a nothing" cartridge.

IMO there are lots available out there, that qualify as a "sheep blaster" long before the .325 WSM does!

READ .338 Winchester Magnum.....How many folks consider this to be a "sheep gun"??
Personally, I wouldn't choose either cartridge for a sheep rifle, but then I wouldn't go out to buy a rifle in either caliber for moose either, I've got my own favorites, and those two don't fit in!
For sheep I'd be looking at something in the 6.5 caliber slot - but then, I look at that particular caliber first for almost EVERYTHING!!

Cat
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM

I already have a Sako 270. I might be on a Grizzly, moose, caribo hunt next summer. Just looking for 1 more all around gun for larger game. I like the short action, and I like the gap it fills between a 300 and a 338.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Talking 325

Notice, everyone who has one likes them,those who don't have an opinion.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Notice, everyone who has one likes them,those who don't have an opinion.
Which is one of the reasons boards like this exist!

Maybe, I came across in my post different then what I meant.

I never meant I didnt like the .325, only that had his guide had a .270, 30/06 etc. etc. and he hit it the same, it likely would have been flattened just the same.

I'm just not a big fan of (like Dick says) "gucci" cartridges. I would favor a .338 WM over it & like cat (as far as favorites go), I usually use mine more than I leave it at home.

I have shot 2 of them, and the difference in recoil between the .325 & .338 is hardly much of a difference.

Then there are the "I need a short action" crowd, which IMO is hardly worth mentioning, as the differences in weight are hardly noticeable. Then theres the availability of factory rounds & reloading components, if this thought bothers you at all, then imagine being on your Sheep hunt in the YK & needing a box of .325 WSM ammo, anywhere outside of Whitehorse, your likely hooped.

Like mentioned before, I likely wouldnt grab my .338 (or a .325) for sheep, they both will work handily, with power to spare, but I have others to choose from.

Quote:
I like the gap it fills between a 300 and a 338.
not a huge gap, and the .325 is pretty much ballistically a match to the .338 WM...but hey, who needs an excuse for a new iron? not me. Dont imagine you do either sheep nut.

just my musings.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM

That's all food for thought. Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM

The reason I started looking at the 325wsm is that the particular rifle I'm interested in, isnt offered in a 338wm mag any longer. I dont have any big issue with not owning a 338wm and its balistically similar (not identical I know) enough that it'll meet (and exceede) my needs.

Im kind of excited to have a new whiz-bang calibre. I dont think you can fault anyone for just wanting to have more toys to play and experiment with.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I dont think you can fault anyone for just wanting to have more toys to play and experiment with
Your absolutely right
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Have one in a M70 and love it. I don't find the recoil bad and it is my most accurate sporter rifle, shooting MOA with 220gr Sierra handloads out to the 500yard mark. I've used it on several deer and one Elk and it performed as expected, putting meat in the freezer every time.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I shot my Dall sheep this year with my guides browning 325 wsm. My gun (and me) took a bad spill. The 325 wsm flattened that ram! I wish Sako would make one. Does anyone think they will soon? Let me know if you think it's worth buying.
I own a 30-06, a 270, and a new 325. I shoot custom loads of Accubond 200 grains and I am very satisfied. i recently proved to a fireend just what kind of damage it could do by shooting throug a 10" thick fir tree, and the bullet was a perfect mushroom. I shoot just under 3000' per second, sighted in at 1 1/2' high at 100 yards, using a leupold 4.5x14 scope with compensator. I have shot it many times while dialing in what powder nad grains of powder to use. It is not s hard kicking gun. It shoots no harder then my 30-06. Those who can not handle it can use a limb saver pad and it will protect those who cannot handle the recoil. Of course my belief is...if you can not handle the recoil, why are you shooting big game. I have complete faith of my 325 hitting what I want at 400 plus yards, so a moose at 100 yards is dinner. Bullet placement is always the key, and thats why serious hunters like you are doing your home work. I did mine, and I am very happy. One heads up I will warn those of you who are thinking of buying one, is that Browning has been known to sel some with faulty barrels. My first was faulty, my replacement was great. the difference was the good barrel was made in Japan, the faulty one was from the USA. Look to see which one you have. browning gave me over $400 in Browning grear for my wasted money in sighting in ammo neede to prove the barrel was faulty, only after I threatened to go to the attorney general of my state. I would still buy one though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM

The .303 British likely provided more moose dinners in Canada last week than the 325wsm will provide around the world in the rest of this century!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I already have a Sako 270. I might be on a Grizzly, moose, caribo hunt next summer. Just looking for 1 more all around gun for larger game. I like the short action, and I like the gap it fills between a 300 and a 338.
Ya, not really sure it fills any gap as there really isn't one there and truthfully, there isn't a ton of difference between a .325WSM and a .338WM performance wise. The .325 was some slick American advertising. It's not a .325 cal but an 8mm but it seems Americans will not embrace new metric cartridges so they called it something it's not. Nothing wrong with the cartridge and I'm sure it would do eveything you could ask it to but my prediction is that it will have a pretty short life span in commercial rifles. Not sure why they just didn't call it a .338WSM....something hunters were familiar with. Bullet availability would be my only concern versus a .338 WM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM

I agree with Sheephunter,it was some good advertising.I don't think there are any new calibers that have come out in the last ten years that have made a huge difference in ballistics or filled the gap in any area.Gun makers like the Remingtons and Winchesters have done a good job in re-creating the gun and have done a good job in selling it.Having new calibers like this are just fun to have and play with.I would say the 30-30 made for a lot of dinners as well as the .303.I would go with a cartridge that has good bullet selection and is readily available at a Walmart or Canadian Tire when you are on a hunt somewhere like the Yukon that was previously mentioned.In the 30 cal there is a ton of selection that can flatten anything.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ya, not really sure it fills any gap as there really isn't one there and truthfully, there isn't a ton of difference between a .325WSM and a .338WM performance wise. The .325 was some slick American advertising. It's not a .325 cal but an 8mm but it seems Americans will not embrace new metric cartridges so they called it something it's not. Nothing wrong with the cartridge and I'm sure it would do eveything you could ask it to but my prediction is that it will have a pretty short life span in commercial rifles. Not sure why they just didn't call it a .338WSM....something hunters were familiar with. Bullet availability would be my only concern versus a .338 WM.
Just to clarify, you mean that there is no gap betweenthe .338WM and the .325WSM right? The way you've got it written it almost sounds like you are saying that you dont think there is much difference between the .300WM and the .338WM which is starteling news to me.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Just to clarify, you mean that there is no gap betweenthe .338WM and the .325WSM right? The way you've got it written it almost sounds like you are saying that you dont think there is much difference between the .300WM and the .338WM which is starteling news to me.
Nope, I meant there is no gap between the .300WM and the .338 WM. I'm talking performance.....not thousands of an inch on a caliper.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Nope, I meant there is no gap between the .300WM and the .338 WM. I'm talking performance.....not thousands of an inch on a caliper.
Thats cool, I wont argue that point since I have only fired the .300 at the range and never fired a .338 at all. I guess I just always assumed there had to be some reason that someone would pay so much more for amo and put up with the heavy recoil of a .338. You would really feel just as comfortable taking a cape buffalo with a .300 as a .338?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Thats cool, I wont argue that point since I have only fired the .300 at the range and never fired a .338 at all. I guess I just always assumed there had to be some reason that someone would pay so much more for amo and put up with the heavy recoil of a .338. You would really feel just as comfortable taking a cape buffalo with a .300 as a .338?
Whoa! I never said they performed the same, I said there wasn't a gap....Basically, where the .300 leaves off, the .338 takes over. There is some performance overlap for sure but I never insinuated they are the same, there just ins't a performance gap between them that needs to be filled by another cartridge.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM

The 325WSM was designed to provide 338WM power in a short action rifle. (Winchester claimed that they couldn't get the velocity high enough to bring out the 338WSM.)

If you have a 300WM, or a 338 WM, you don't need a 325 WSM. If you have neither, and want a bigger, more powerful rifle, in a lighter short action, then maybe the 325WSM trips your trigger.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
One of my hunting partners purchased one and hunted with it last year....

I shot it a few times at the range and have to admit, being a handloader, I got excited about the 8mm possibilities....

But that being said, it is a lot of gun to shoot.....and quite frankly, he couldn't handle the recoil well at all, making the rifle fairly useless in his hands...

In his hands it was a prefect example of not being able to shoot a rifle of that "punch" and he would have been better off shooting something smaller that he could manage....

Otherwise....I liked it! His was a browning White gold medallion....beautiful rifle....I don't own anything larger than my 300WSM, and would seriously consider buying one if I ever wanted to get into anything larger....
I'm suprised at the comment concerning recoil - I find mine to be only sligthly more than my 270 Win in a Rem BDL (the 325 is a Browning Composite SS Stalker - 6.5lbs, approx a pound lighter than the 270). I keep seeing people refer to the 325 has having "harsh" or "horrible" recoil; makes me wonder if we're talking about the same cartridge.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 PM

I don't get the short mag thing. A 338 with a 24" tube will way outperform 'most' 325's as Browning puts 22" and 23" tubes on them. I always wanted to build a nice 300 H&H and sit beside a guy bragging up his 300 short and put a few through the chrony. I know the H&H will feed way better. And have some class... even if I don't.
All that being said the 325 is the best short mag made right now IMHO. I wish they would have made it a 338. Probably would have caught on better. I figured one in 375 or 416 would be nice but Ruger fixed that for me.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Bought a Browning A-Bolt White Gold Medallion in 325WSM a couple of months ago and am very pleased with the rifle. I was a bit concerned about the recoil when I bought it but it's really not an issue.