Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 07:37 PM

Does it sound dirty if I describe that wood as both gorgeous and well figured?

Colin
Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
It it hasn't been fired in a year, usually a reason. Something newer and better has come along.

Now if we could only do this with wives.....
No, if wives could only do this with shoes

Colin
Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
No, if wives could only do this with shoes

Colin
Clothes in general.

I’ve been thinking of getting rid of some guns but I often think that I couldn’t be bothered with the tire kickers and if I’m gonna give them away I may as well give them to the kids.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 PM

I handed down a couple and sold a couple, currently in the market for another deer rifle, Tikka/Sako most likely. Still in the window shopping phase. Seems funny to have less than a dozen.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM

I have some I haven't shot in a while, then a nice day comes along......Actually crack the safes or the ammo cabinet lots just to look & plan, I guess inventory reduction is a ways away for me.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:32 AM

With me my firearms come and go and as yet has nothing to do with age. My numbers vary. I tend not to keep anything that I do not use on a regular basis.
I find that variety is the spice of life and I indulge myself when I desire something new. In my past life I liked Ljutic trap guns and Perazzi sporting guns but now I enjoy myself just as much with B guns. I only have one firearm that I will never part with in my lifetime. That is a well worn Browning .22 auto. All the rest are just tools and my wife can dispose of them as she pleases when I am gone.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
At some point downsizing will happen but not likely by selling . I have 5 boys so most likely they will just get passed down and kept in the family. All of my current rifles are still interesting to me and are used often.
Will be doing the same with my sons.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Downsizing

I began downsizing many of my old rifles, shotguns, pistols, all my reloading presses, tumbler, trimmers, etc. a number of years back. At the time I was regretting it somewhat.
But, lately I have been creeping up again with my firearms acquisitions. I have been using up the large quantity of hand loads I filled before I sold my presses. And its required me to start purchasing factory loads! The only factory loads I purchased in 35 years were .22 and .22 mag. Hate to have to start from ground zero in reloading again but time will tell.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 PM

Default Reducing Inventory

I have sold quite a few in the past couple of years. It's a shame to see a good firearm collecting dust when someone else would put it to use and enjoy having it as well. There are some that I will keep to be distributed to those in the family that will use them and look after them to be passed on again to their families. As long as I can shoot and reload they will remain in my possession. My wife enjoys shooting as much as I do and we have at least one range day each week as weather permits. All the big bores are gone as the recoil is a lot more noticeable with age and I would rather shoot 60-100 rounds a day from a lighter calibre than 10 rounds from a bone jarring magnum.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:47 AM

I sold some to build a few custom rifles for hunting/shooting. A main hunting rig and another for a backup. I used actions I already had.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Are there any stores in Calgary that will sell on your behalf? Prophet River is a little too far for me.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:41 PM

I have decided to do this for over a year now, but I just can't seem to get the pictures up. I seem to always change my mind. But I will do it this week, for sure!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:57 PM

After a long struggle I sold 9 guns that were collecting dust so far I've only bought 3 new ones I think I'm winning.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caduddin View Post
Are there any stores in Calgary that will sell on your behalf? Prophet River is a little too far for me.
Cabelas, Calgary Shooting Centre, Proline, all have consignment guns for sale.

Not sure if basspro does.

The other store I wont give my money to and don't care what business they offer.

Last edited by Nyksta; 04-05-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:38 PM

I just purchased a Kimber Superamerican 270 Win from Prophet River for my brother in law.Elk hunter was this one of yours? This rifle had one of the nicest wood i have ever seen.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:48 AM

It turns out my firearm stash for my kids and G-kids was only a way for me to collect some very nice guns to pass on to them; my excuse anyway...haha.

I have come to the reality that I am the only one in the family who has any interest in some nice pieces. And any of them inheriting, is only a pipe dream for me.... no one wants them in their homes.

It is a changing world out there and my hunting and shooting interests/pastime isn't shared by other family members....

A pastime, passing by....

So like many others, my inventory is very skinny now, drastically shrinking over the last couple years.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 04-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.