Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Default critters

UFA also carries sulphur sticks. They look like dynamite stick, even has a fuse you put in. I use them, they work great. I think each stick, after lighting burns and produces 55 cubic meters of sulphur gas. Follow the instructions and ta da...now more underground critters.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Pocket Gophers and Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
SUCCESS - Wow, I'm impressed. Thanks for the help guys. I purchased a couple of "Box Traps" at UFA. They knew of the "black hole" ones but were out, they had two of the aforementioned ones. I followed the instructions and using two traps, four hour laters I had two pocket gophers. You guys are right, the instructions also claim that there are no moles in Alberta or Saskatchewan. .........OK, does this mean I'm a trapper now
I have some univited guests and did not have a clue what they were. So I started searching and found your forum. I will go buy some traps tomorrow and gitrdun.......thank you in advance and will let you know if it worked. Lady on an acreage.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlazyS View Post
UFA also carries sulphur sticks. They look like dynamite stick, even has a fuse you put in. I use them, they work great. I think each stick, after lighting burns and produces 55 cubic meters of sulphur gas. Follow the instructions and ta da...now more underground critters.
Does the sulfer sticks kill them or just drive them away??
Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

The lifespan of a mole does not last as long as this thread, so the original problem has hopefully rid itself , by attrition...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailnut View Post
All I used to do was take a small leghold trap(not sure of the #) remove the dirt until I found the hole, widen it so the trap would fit, put a small piece of plywood over it, and cover back up with the dirt. I made a killing from the neighbors one summer doing this. I had about a half dozen traps set out.
An old dish style hub cap works great, gives more room for the trap.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Default water

Garden hose down the hole works too
Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM

You need this,
http://www.rodenator.com/
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 PM

I had heard of guys taking old light bulbs and breaking them and putting the shards of the bulbs into the holes.Apparently it doesn't take very long for these things to tear up their paws and bleed out.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Cool pocket gophers

an old friend told me to shoot propane down the hole kills em all the time ..but i dont know how he did it ,,good luck
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 AM

I run a flexabvle hose from the exhaust on my atv into the hole. Seal the hole and run the atv for a while. Seems to work fine.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM

My grandpa used a couple of small wind mills. They don't like the vibrations and it drives them away and keeps them away. Atleast that's what he told me.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddwapper View Post
an old friend told me to shoot propane down the hole kills em all the time ..but i dont know how he did it ,,good luck
That is what I do and it works. I just took the end off of the tiger torch & put the hose down hole (after opening it up).
Used to light r up.....but was afraid the Feds would show up looking for whom ever was causing mini earth quakes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM

I have been trapping them for the past 2 weeks....they are in every field we combined this year....never seen so many!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:53 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlazyS View Post
Those work really well, I've used them on gophers, kills em dead in no time
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
SUCCESS - Wow, I'm impressed. Thanks for the help guys. I purchased a couple of "Box Traps" at UFA. They knew of the "black hole" ones but were out, they had two of the aforementioned ones. I followed the instructions and using two traps, four hour laters I had two pocket gophers. You guys are right, the instructions also claim that there are no moles in Alberta or Saskatchewan. .........OK, does this mean I'm a trapper now
Way to go! Yup you a trapper now bud. You can get yursef a coonskin cap n all. LOL

I was visiting my brother-in-law down in Millet several years ago. He took me to a seminar on Pocket Gopher control. There were a small group of scientists researching control methods in the area.
It was very interesting, and some information was hilarious, but the long and the short of what they said they had learned was, poison is not effective, because the varmints like Alfalfa and Alfalfa contains the antidote to the poison, cats are not effective, ext. ext., the only thing they found that actually worked was traps, and the best traps according to those researchers is the trap you are using.
They also told us that they lost a lot of traps to coyotes, seems that when the trap snaps shut on Mr gopher, he screams and if a coyote hears that, by by to trap and gopher.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 AM

This is the best way to remove moles with out any toxins.

Bubble Gum. Yup that stuff you chew. There itty bitty stomachs can't digest the gum and then they get constipated then die.

It's the way we got rid of our moles back when I was in Ontario.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 PM

I used the wood box traps and used a chunk of re bar to probe around the hill and find the tunnel going to the hill and that's where I would set it. Some times they will come from the other side of the hill and make a new mound on top of the trap. I used to trap lots of them in the cattle pasture.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
My uncle swears by this method:
Find a piece of Wrigleys Spearmint gum which is enclosed in tinfoil and white paper (used to be in a green package). Take the white paper off and place the piece of gum in the tinfoil wrapper on top of the mound of black dirt. Within a few days the moles will be gone.
I am not positive on why it works but he swears by it. He tried juicy fruit but with no results, has to be the spearmint.
It works because the moles and shrews cannot digest gum. It works by jamming up their intestinal tract.

Juicey fruit will work, in fact, any mint or fruit gum works as gum is essentially a malleable plastic resin.