Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Administrator

I promised Braggadoe I'd post a few photos from my trapping season so far. maybe a little pic heavy, we'll see. The first photo is of my humble cabin that keeps me warm at night.

This photo is of my dad riding on the musher that's attached to my sled. This allows me to bring along a family member without the hassle of a second snowmobile, gas etc.

Here we put back in a "temporary" bridge to replace the one I lost to the heavy rains we had last summer. This is the only way I can access some of the better marten habitat I have.

Dad poses with a marten.

A bait-thieving ermine that played Russian Roulette with a 120 and lost.

A little frosted around the edges.

Another bait thief that lost.

My son poses with a big male marten.

Here he poses with a triple squirrel catch.

A marten hangs by the stove to unthaw before skinning.

This is what happens when you get sucked off your own trail and into the soft stuff. The work begins when it happens, thankfully it isn't often.

My son with our first lynx of the season taken in a double snare cubby.

Two days later this one showed up on the same trail and in the same cubby.

My son and I with two cats and a marten in the middle.

So far the season has been very enjoyable and we've caught a little fur. Perhaps not as much as I would have hoped to this point, but fur nonetheless. So far 8 marten, 2 lynx, 2 beaver, 2 mink, 13 ermine and 6 squirrels (still have a few in a bag that need tending). Still some time to go yet. Good luck everybody and stay safe out there.

Rob
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunt View Post
Enjoying this thread. Not a trapper now but did a little when I was younger. Keep the stories & pics coming. Thanks
Agreed, Excellent thread, thanks for taking the time to post pics!!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM

Awesome pictures thanks for posting!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Nice to see the boss man ain't just a pretty face. Nice shots rob, like the one with your son. Tell your Pa I wear yellow glasses on the trapline too.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks Brian. Dad swears by those yellow glasses. He says they brighten up the world. That photo with my son and I was tough to get. I had to put down the cat and the marten, hit the shutter button on the camera, run back and grab the cat and marten, sit down and pose within 10 seconds. Took a few attempts before we got a useable one.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM

Hope you had those lynx in a bag with raid before you and junior gave them a bear hug. Has your beard been itchy lately?

Your cabin looks very cool and the deep snow and chimney puffing make it look like home.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

I raid everything at the cabin, learned my lesson years ago with a ermine. In the field is a different story though. So far so good, the only itch I got is to get back out there...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Great pics Rob,everybody's for that matter.

by far the best thread on this form.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
Great pics Rob,everybody's for that matter.

by far the best thread on this form.
I agree ...Outstanding pictures guys...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Rob, that tipped skidoo reminds me off my last run....looked behind me 2 seconds to long...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121229-00554.jpg (88.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Default Rob

Is that the Tundra ACE 600 or the 550. Willing to give your reveiw of the Tundra?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Off to the auction.

Couple months of hard work and 1500+ kms between 357Xp and myself.
Couple Lynx did't make make it, still frozen.

Wall now looks kinda empty, guess that means its time to head out soon and check them Lynx snares.

Love all the pics, I gotta start using a better camera!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0994.jpg (61.4 KB, 260 views)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Rob, that tipped skidoo reminds me off my last run....looked behind me 2 seconds to long...
Ouch! That's what I did too, looked behind me to make sure my son was still there, then ... ooops!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Is that the Tundra ACE 600 or the 550. Willing to give your reveiw of the Tundra?
It's the 550. My only complaint is that it is a bit tippy. Other than that, it pulls like a mule and goes like a damn! Happy so far.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Dr. deaths future gauntlets.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 AM

stellar thread people .. thanks for taking the time to post pix and tell your stories .. some one stated this was the best thread on the site .. well where do i sign .. i have to agree .. thanks
wayne
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM

550 tundras are made to drive, not ride. When folks complain about how tippy they are I have to agree but it's the price for manueverability. You can thread those machines through the trees in 4 feet of snow.

but if you want to just sit on a machine and plow through snow there's lots of other machines for that. For me I'm up on one knee looking at tracks and rarely sit down so the machine suits me. They sure can climb steep hills breaking trail as evidenced by my trail last week. I did get bucked off just as I was about to crest a big hill so i pinned it and dragged myself up over the top, not pretty but I made it.

-30 this morning and off to the line. Hope its warmer in the hills.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM

Brian, i know you have used your 550 on the trapline alot, ever keep track of the fuel it uses? Mpg? I know the 550 can do good on trails but trapping is a class in it's own.
Have been keeping track of my mileage while trapping with tundra R, 280cc and it's at 17mpg and about 13mpg when we get a dump of snow.

Fuel milage is important when you log over 2000km a winter.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 AM

Good thread! I bought a new Skandic with a 20" track, not the "super" wide track. It is four stroke and has high and low range. Good for towing or even a second person on board, the four stroke is quiet, lots of power. I am very happy with this machine so far. As for fuel mileage I haven't checked yet but it seems quite a bit better than my last machine. (Tundra)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Brian, I ride the same way as you, on one knee for the same reasons. But even then I have had it tip. Maybe I should clarify that I only weigh 160-pounds, which is most likely the reason it is a bit tippy for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not constantly tipping over, hardly the case; rather, on occasion, as I'm looking at what's going on around me as opposed to what's in front of me, I've ended up on my side.

As far as fuel consumption, I haven't much to compare it to. My line runs 65 kilometres and I'm pulling about 300 pounds behind me, so I'm probably burning more than most.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM

We use the 550 Tundra long track with 2 up seating, now that is real tippy.
It's a good thing the wife is a real trooper cause we've had some wrecks.
It's the only machine I've had so can't compare it to others.
Doug
Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Tipsy

Is it the new style with pogo struts front or the 2009 and older with A-arms?

Like the fact that newer tundras have a two-up seat, excellent perch for the 'better half' to veiw from, and see what happened to the savings account....

2006-09 RF Tundra has a bit wider ski stance, 39" and the new style are only 32" same as the original Tundra II.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Is it the new style with pogo struts front or the 2009 and older with A-arms?

Like the fact that newer tundras have a two-up seat, excellent perch for the 'better half' to veiw from, and see what happened to the savings account....

2006-09 RF Tundra has a bit wider ski stance, 39" and the new style are only 32" same as the original Tundra II.
dont think its 39", unless ur talkin the 550, will check later
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM

550RF is what i meant, 300 RF tundra is 32", no?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM

I bought the 2013 Skandic SWT with the 4 stroke this year as the 2000 500cc Fan just couldn't cut it with all the deep snow anymore. I have to say once you get used to it, it's a dream machine for the deep stuff. A little heavy on weight and price but it should last for a good 10-15 years so not bad really. I haven't got it stuck yet and hopefully never do. 4 feet of powder is no problem while towing my skimmer with wooden box. I did take off the skimmer on a couple hills to break trail just because I didn't want to spin out but I would say on it's own you'de be hard pressed to get this thing stuck. The mountain riser on the handle bars looks out of place at first but you can ride standing up while breaking trail and not being bent over is a life saver on the back. Just add a little weight by leaning on the running board of which way you want to go and for a big machine it's very easy to handle.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Default Skandics

I own a 2012 600 ace wt and i love the machine, i did have a ski break at the frame which was covered and fixed right away with warrenty, then this year the thing started stalling on me, after 3 trips to the dealership turns out the positve post on the battery and a chunk missing and i believe the wire viberated to it and was telling the computer to shut down. (it would fire right back up again but i trap in the park where i know no other sleds are coming for help so it was a bit uncomfortable) new battery and the thing runs great. My trapping partner runs a 2011 550f skandic wt and it is a nice machine too, both are a little on the tippy side. My machine gets twice the fuel milage of course. All in all i am happy with both of these machines so far even with the couple hiccups(some machines were built on friday afternoons lol)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Epic day to a good season

Had and awsome day on the line the other day, my wife came with me for the first time checking traps this year and what a day. We caught 5 marten and snared our first lynx of the season followed by our second, caught 2 mink, a weasel, then another 3 lynx at a foot hold. The day total was 5 marten 5 lynx 2 mink and a weasel. Now if i could only find a way to outsmart a wolverine who has been playing games with me for 2 seasons now my season would be fufilled! they are smart and even smarter when you educate them lol I will post some pics soon!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM

Here are a few pictures from the season so far. I really need to start carrying the camera around more, and get better at taking pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0890.jpg (54.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0904.jpg (46.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0918.jpg (27.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Nice variety of fur u got there Joe
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM

I have both style the pogo and the A-frame. The A-frame is much more stable but that exposed front end cost me a grand once.

Rob I flip my machine over, don't worry. but that's the trade off for a machine that gets the job done. My next machine will be bigger so perhaps i'll change my opinion.