Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM

How about we let the investigation go and find out exactly what happened before jumping to conclusions eh Bee?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
How about we let the investigation go and find out exactly what happened before jumping to conclusions eh Bee?
Which conclusion?

I stated that these incidents are avoidable.

If they aren't avoidable, I would suggest that people living within the blast radius of all rail lines think about moving.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

Again,is crude oil that explosive?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

If its in a sealed tank car yes, it's like a pipe bomb. Have you ever thrown a propane tank in a bonfire?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Seems like its our (Canada's ) year for disasters...
Lets just hope this is the end of a bad run.
x2
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Again,is crude oil that explosive?
Quote:
BLEVE (Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion)

There are three characteristics of liquids which are relevant to the discussion of a BLEVE:

If a liquid in a sealed container is boiled, the pressure inside the container increases. As the liquid changes to a gas it expands - this expansion in a vented container would cause the gas and liquid to take up more space. In a sealed container the gas and liquid are not able to take up more space and so the pressure rises. Pressurized vessels containing liquids can reach an equilibrium where the liquid stops boiling and the pressure stops rising. This occurs when no more heat is being added to the system (either because it has reached ambient temperature or has had a heat source removed).
The boiling temperature of a liquid is dependent on pressure - high pressures will yield high boiling temperatures, and low pressures will yield low boiling temperatures. A common simple experiment is to place a cup of water in a vacuum chamber, and then reduce the pressure in the chamber until the water boils. By reducing the pressure the water will boil even at room temperature. This works both ways - if you increase the pressure beyond normal atmospheric pressures you could suppress the boiling of hot water far beyond normal temperatures.
When a liquid boils it turns into a gas. The resulting gas takes up far more space than the liquid did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling...apor_explosion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFq9RoF4eok

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Default Maybe Mulcair and others should wait for the investigation...

Before they use tragedies to take cheap shots at their political opponents.

Some people have no class it seems.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...l-safety-cuts/
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Banned

I guess what I`m wondering is what caused a fire at all?A tank car rupturing should have released the oil but what made it burn initially.I get all about expanding because of the heat of being in a fire.Even if one car did somehow catch fire it would have taken quite some time to develop the heat that blew the others up.Nobody thinks it odd that they crashed,exploded pretty much right away?So quickly that people could not get out of the area?
Strange.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM

You got it Fisherpeak. That's why I say let's not be so quick to pin this on safety regulations.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
You got it Fisherpeak. That's why I say let's not be so quick to pin this on safety regulations.
Probably human error or neglect, maybe something fishy. Not regulations that caused this.

It does bring into question the dangers on our tracks though, there is some pretty vile stuff rolling down the tracks on any given day. I watched 40+ CARS of anyhydrous ammonia roll by the other day.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Probably human error or neglect, maybe something fishy. Not regulations that caused this.

It does bring into question the dangers on our tracks though, there is some pretty vile stuff rolling down the tracks on any given day. I watched 40+ CARS of anyhydrous ammonia roll by the other day.
....and every rail line hits every small/large town on the way.....
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I guess what I`m wondering is what caused a fire at all?A tank car rupturing should have released the oil but what made it burn initially.I get all about expanding because of the heat of being in a fire.Even if one car did somehow catch fire it would have taken quite some time to develop the heat that blew the others up.Nobody thinks it odd that they crashed,exploded pretty much right away?So quickly that people could not get out of the area?
Strange.
They recovered the black box and the tank cars were moving at 101km/hr when they derailed. There would be tons of sparks
Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

Let us watch how the eastern liberal media will make this into an Alberta created tragedy.

P.S. Why was Justin Trudeau at Allison Redford's pancake breakfast yesterday? Should he not be home with his fellow Quebec voters pining against the bad Albertan.

Hmm. More juicy dirt in Alberta.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Let us watch how the eastern liberal media will make this into an Alberta created tragedy.

P.S. Why was Justin Trudeau at Allison Redford's pancake breakfast yesterday? Should he not be home with his fellow Quebec voters pining against the bad Albertan.

don't know why you're surprised?, Redford and Nenshi are both cut from the same cloth....Trudeau is just exploiting it, to all the easterners that have moved here to "better" themselves. and will vote for a Liberal
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

Put down the koolaid. Thats one twisted mind that can link a rail disaster to a province over a thousand miles away . ??? Wow paranoid .
Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Fish-gunner.

What have you heard coming out of the business community in Calgary and even Edmonton?

You obviously know more than me.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fish-gunner.

What have you heard coming out of the business community in Calgary and even Edmonton?

Is this code?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Fish-gunner.

Politicians are opportunists,all of them . Right or left . So seeing them smoose for the camera can hardly be a surprise.
Your suggestion of the rail tragedy being linked in some fashion to AB is where the paranoia comment stems from.
Me & the business community lol surely you jest. Lol.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Politicians are opportunists,all of them . Right or left . So seeing them smoose for the camera can hardly be a surprise.
Your suggestion of the rail tragedy being linked in some fashion to AB is where the paranoia comment stems from.
Me & the business community lol surely you jest. Lol.
out with it gunner.

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?!?!?!?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
out with it gunner.

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?!?!?!?
Im a simple carpenter /garage door guy. On occasion I moon light with some high tech coatings.lol . You know this B.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Banned

oh

OK

Thought you might be a sleeper cell for a minute there.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
oh

OK

Thought you might be a sleeper cell for a minute there.
Lol .you've been at the koolaid too.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

man, just watching the news program about this on the CBC.

horror show

they havent blamed alberta.....yet
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 PM

Did anyone else catch Trudeau telling the CBC that he was "blown away" by the situation in quebec! Oh man!!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
....and every rail line hits every small/large town on the way.....
Very tragic...however your statement needs clarification. The majority of towns came after the railroads. They formed and built up along the rail or in preparation of the railroad coming. The railroads were not built to hit every small/large town on the way.

Railroads were the essential driver for settlers and the colonization of the west. It is still the main avenue for commerce.

If this turns out to be deliberate then someone should go to jail for a long time. If there was a failure in operational processes then some significant changes will be required.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Did anyone else catch Trudeau telling the CBC that he was "blown away" by the situation in quebec! Oh man!!
Yeah,Turdo has an unfortunate way with words doesn't he.

So latest this morning is that there was a fire on that train earlier in the evening,put out by the F.D.90 minutes later it crashed downtown.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Very tragic...however your statement needs clarification. The majority of towns came after the railroads. They formed and built up along the rail or in preparation of the railroad coming. The railroads were not built to hit every small/large town on the way.

Railroads were the essential driver for settlers and the colonization of the west. It is still the main avenue for commerce.

If this turns out to be deliberate then someone should go to jail for a long time. If there was a failure in operational processes then some significant changes will be required.

Exactly. Usually it was first the railroad then the towns. No RR, no town.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

actually the railways started most of the towns , as they built stations where the trains had to stop to reload with water etc. It's a moot point anyway, I was getting at the fact that trains carry dangerous cargo thru' populated areas vs pipelines
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Never let a tragedy go to waist. Nice thread.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Never let a tragedy go to waist. Nice thread.
If you are going to be a dink at least learn how to spell.WASTE is the word you were going for.
Of course it`s terrible and of course people need to talk about it.We want to know why and how and if it can be prevented in future.Snap out of it your ownself.