Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Oh, and 7 days is way too long IMO. Unless you like cutting floating beavers out of the ice.

Spruce
Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM

A 7 day check re under ice snared beaver will be fine IMO. To avoid beaver floating up into the ice use a maximum 10 inch loop with first snare set at least 20 inches below the ice.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 PM

Here's the 2 little beaver stretched one yesterday and put the other one on today. I know there not perfect but I'm having fun learning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

Any rounder than that and you will end up with a condition know as circulightis ! There is no cure!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsask View Post
Here's the 2 little beaver stretched one yesterday and put the other one on today. I know there not perfect but I'm having fun learning.
Just curious but why do have one tacked on the board fur up rather than the normal skin side up?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Haha I know it looks that way. But the picture isn't that clear, and he was on the board for a day and a half, and his skin turned a dark color.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
A 7 day check re under ice snared beaver will be fine IMO. To avoid beaver floating up into the ice use a maximum 10 inch loop with first snare set at least 20 inches below the ice.
I should have been more specific I guess. I was thinking of 330's at the entrances of the lodges where it's deep enough that floating up wouldn't be an issue. I don't want to waste the fur if it's going to slip or get chewed on.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 AM

They will last a long time under the ice..rats are you enemy but they usually chew the ears, feet and nose..you cut those off anyway.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:37 AM

Here is a monster...biggest beaver I have ever shot..90 lbs for sure.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Wow 7mmstw that's probably the biggest beaver I've ever seen pics of. I wouldn't want to carry that one very far.

I ordered a dozen 12 inch Sauvageau's yesterday so they should be showing up in the next couple days. I've had some luck on the snare poles but I've also had good luck on baited conibears. I have yet to have a tripped conibear without something in it but I've definitely had snares knocked down on my poles.

I also ordered a Dexter knife to try out.

rbsask- those beaver look real good for someone still learning.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 PM

I like sauvageau..but Belisle are still my favorite..just take your time setting the savs..yup it was heavy..and probably the furthest I had to carry any of them..up hill, through willows and hazelnut brush..took me awhile and lots of rests..
Old 03-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Is it mostly the safeties you prefer on the Belisle? I've already got a half dozen 11x12 Sauvageau's so I continued with those. I haven't used the Belisle traps.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:56 PM

Yeah safeties..and the springs don't seem to flip around on them, the dog seem latches really well too...have a few savs that the frames are bent on..did you find a deal on them? I have some LDL, Rudy, Sav and Belisle..they all have their merits..
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstwguy View Post
Yeah safeties..and the springs don't seem to flip around on them, the dog seem latches really well too...have a few savs that the frames are bent on..did you find a deal on them? I have some LDL, Rudy, Sav and Belisle..they all have their merits..
I got a small deal on the 12x12. I didn't check around too much though but paid $475dz. I just called up and had them put on the bus. A member here put me in contact with a customer for carcasses so I'll be able to make a few bucks there at least. If it wasn't for coyote money I probably wouldn't have bought them.

I bent a frame last year but I was to blame because I threw a chunk of ice in it to set it off which was a bad idea.

Edit- A quick check on Halfords website shows $575dz so I did ok.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Yeah..caught my thumb in one trying to unset it..thats why I like the Belisle safety..my fault but still. When your all alone the more you can do to prevent yourself from getting hurt the better. FHA is the cheapest place that I found for most traps...I don't even consider Halfords. Are the ones you got double frame?

Last edited by 7mmstwguy; 03-02-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:30 PM

Yes they are double framed. It was one of the reasons I went with the Sauvageau's I like the idea that the dog or trigger never touches fur. The bend was very minimal and I just straightened it out and quit throwing ice in them lol.

I'm not as comfortable with the body grippers so I always use a safety lock. I got bit within a minute of opening the box last year. Got my thumb and top button of my jeans. Thankfully it was only one spring. I got a lesson and it didn't hurt me too bad, scared me more than anything.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM

7mmstw you were right, I checked and they're $40 a dozen cheaper there. I'm not sure how much additional shipping there would be out of Ontario.

After looking at the catalogue I see I probably mistook the trap size. I've already got 11x11 and have 11x12 coming. The new ones should be double frame as well.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Sorry for all the posts in a row guys. I thought I should correct my statement about the trigger on Sauvageau's not touching the fur, it's not true. Only the dog is protected. I was in a hurry posting.

7mmstw- Would you mind describing your chain set up for hanging bodygrips?

Type of chain
How you adjust length
Securing the chain to safety stick

I could figure something out but a few pointers would be helpful, thanks.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Banned

Try Dam Beaver supplies out of Sask
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Banned

I must say fellows, that this is one of the best threads that I have had the pleasure of following. Such a pity that Beavers are not bringing in the dollars that all the hard work should justify.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Try Dam Beaver supplies out of Sask
Yes, that's where I got them. Hopefully I'll see them tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:23 AM

I will have to check on the size of chain..length depends on how deep your sets are. I go through the end loops on the springs with the chain, use a quick link to tie them together. I use 2x2's for the stick..you can wire the chain, fencing staple..The trick is to try and keep the chains close to the same length. That way when you roll the extra chain on your stick to the right depth, the trap stays somewhat level. There are so many other ways to do it as well..homemade H stands out of rebar are another good option..

Last edited by 7mmstwguy; 03-03-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 AM

Thanks 7mm, I actually priced out some material for H Stands yesterday. I will probably build some 5 footers.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM

I use wire across the top of the H-stands to squeeze the top legs together..takes out any floppiness out of the trap once you have in the stand. Be sure to wire the stand to a stick as well...
Old 03-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Well those traps showed up today so I got started on some H stands. Here's the first one. It needs some tweaking on the measurements. You can see the legs are too narrow and is blocking down the trap.

12" Sauvageau H stand

Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM

very nice...I didn't bend mine that fancy..I just welded a couple pieces 2"s long for the springs to sit on , just a straight H
Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Looking good TFNG. That's a very very good first attempt.

For you guys learning to flesh on your knee, a couple of things that I learned.

First, there will be a color difference just at the leather as you are cutting.
Watch for it and use it as your guide for how aggressive to cut.

I start fleshing along one edge, usually close to a front leg hole, then work my way round the perimeter working in towards the center.

Once fleshed, I sew the pelt into a hoop or nail it onto a board and then scrape it with a dull knife to remove any remaining fat, or as much as I can without too much effort.

Back in the sixties we used to also soap the hide and scrape it three of four times to get every last bit of fat. The results was a very nice looking hide, almost white, without a trace of oil, but we got no more for those hides then we did for hides that had simply been fleshed and scraped, so we quit doing the soaping thing.

Another thing I used to do, that I think is still worth doing. Once dried, I would stack the pelts leather to leather with a double layer of paper towel between the leather faces, to absorb any remaining oil. Id could use the towels two or three times before the became too saturated to use again.

One last thought. watch as you are cutting. You should see a color difference and or a consistency difference when you get the depth of cut right. Learn to recognize these and it will help immensely.
I wish there was more I could tell you about this but it's one of those things you have to see to understand. It can not be properly described.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Well those traps showed up today so I got started on some H stands. Here's the first one. It needs some tweaking on the measurements. You can see the legs are too narrow and is blocking down the trap.

12" Sauvageau H stand

What is the purpose of those stands?

LOL, Sorry, I'm old school. I learned to trap before there were conibear traps and had to move on to another career before high tech took over.

When conibears first appeared on the market, no one knew how to use them. We tried one thing, then another till we found a way that worked.
Toward the end of my trapping career there were a few accessories available. Trap setting tools, pans, even a few trap boxes, but nothing like that rig you have.

I can't for the life of me figure out where something like that would help, or what purpose it would serve. I guess my imagination is getting old too. LOL

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Here's one built on 5' of round bar, good for a little less than 4' of water. I've got the measurements figured out now. I'll probably build a few five foot and a few six foot.

7mmstw- I looked at the design you described but I wondered about possible fur damage. They're not bad to bend anyway.

Thanks Keg, I'll post up some pics of the finished product later.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

I caught this guy today in an H Frame set. I decided to pull everything until I get back from holidays.

I didn't spend too much time making my H Frames.....lol.