Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-16-2016, 12:52 AM
Banned

I had the chance to read and listen to some of that Dwight fella's commentary and it makes me wonder how long that he'll have credibility with anyone. That "Wall of Death" comment by Abercrombie about the 200 snares set at a bait site was pretty good.....lol. I predict that Dwight's campaign of misinformation is going to come back and bite him in the arse if and when some savvy journalist digs a little deeper to find out the truth about trapping.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I had the chance to read and listen to some of that Dwight fella's commentary and it makes me wonder how long that he'll have credibility with anyone. That "Wall of Death" comment by Abercrombie about the 200 snares set at a bait site was pretty good.....lol. I predict that Dwight's campaign of misinformation is going to come back and bite him in the arse if and when some savvy journalist digs a little deeper to find out the truth about trapping.
We can only hope that a journalist would actually be interested in both sides of the story and not blatantly accept D.R. 's loose cannon claims .
Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 AM

OK whoa I got add my 2cents here.... I have worked all over this province for a decade from Waterton to ring border to ft mac. I have seen dozens of lynx many wolves many caribou but only 2 marten never a fisher and never a wolverine. These last 3 are cagy they don't like being seen. Your handle on here is YaHa Tina. Have you ever seen a wolverine up there cause thier there. Please read the wolverine study thread on the main trapping page. Also if you think that 0 trapping will increase the odds of the public seeing some woodland creatures then go to one of the 1/3 of the trap lines that are not trapped and tell me what you see.or go to Banff tell me what you see running around. Please read some of keg rivers posts the most recent few in the beaver trapping under ice thread keg nails it. Again I say it this odd RESPECT thing that seem more elusive than the GULO GULO.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM

The fact that many do not encounter these animals in the wild...is because of the fact that people don't go where they can be seen. To suggest that trapping is robbing the city folks from that experience is laughable, their own inability to get out of the city is the issue.

Case in point my cousin from Australia came here and in 4 days with me he saw in the wild: Moose, elk, both species of deer, bighorns, wolves, coyotes, black bears and grizzly bears....I am sure I forgot something.

Of the animals listed the only one I haven't had encounters with is a wolverine, but I don't blame the trappers or hunters for that.

LC
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Yaha are you anti hunting/trapping/ fishing or just a cat outfitter with his feathers ruffled for some reason? Anti that wants to stir things up or clueless?
If you could tell us where you stand it would make a lot more sense here please
Old 03-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yaha are you anti hunting/trapping/ fishing or just a cat outfitter with his feathers ruffled for some reason? Anti that wants to stir things up or clueless?
If you could tell us where you stand it would make a lot more sense here please
Runs cougars with hounds. Outdoors men in competition with other outdoors men. There's enough to go around, why complain about wanting a bigger piece of the pie?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:24 AM

After reading rahoos posts I would say she is baiting real hard trying to get under peoples skins nobody is that clueless . Besides fish and wildlife will have a field day investigating some of her remarks.
Her last post says all about her that needs to be said.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Pffffffftttt....

Best to go back and read some of what AEP has to say about the fury critters and how valuable they think they are to the average Albertan, alive. There would be no issues developing due to the lack of trapping. And I'd venture to say, a live viewing of a lynx is worth much more to Albertans than what a trapper would get for it's skin in China.

Tradition is a great thing and sustains many arguments against, however the recent greedy trend to ignore past traditions such as freely canoeing a creek (which is how the fur trade got started), or legally trapping for food indicates the tide many be turning or may need to be turned, through legislation.

With the possible exception of Coyotes which are very abundant, Albertans don't get to see Fishers, Marten, Lynx, Wolverine et al and it is possibly due to their seasonal harvests. Making a few dollars off of a natural resource is still taking from all Albertans and they may ultimately say, keep your pitiful royalty we want our furs in the woods for future generations to see alive.

Being verbally aggressive and threatening towards someone in opposition to your weekend/evening hobby does not read very with the educated public. Being defensive and closed off when discussing the topic with fellow outdoorsmen who may also be conservationists devalues them and all Albertans.

Veiled personal attacks, requesting and disclosure of personal information that is protected by law under both federal and provincial governments cannot possibly increase their support for your hobby. And it certainly will not give the non trapping Albertans nor Canadians a warm and fuzzy feeling, either.

The old boys would say to leave it in the woods and the public will never be the wiser to what is actually happening out there. I think the overpowering urge to get the information to the web and viewed these days will lead to a strong public resentment of your trapping, of my trapping.

Now, hunting these fur bearing critters would give all Albertans not only the chance to take one or two home but to see them interacting in their natural environment and some times that's pretty special just as it is.

Gonna need to see that hat....TD
Looks like I guessed right on you. So your saying that trapping is making these animals hard to see...yet you want to hunt them? That is pretty comical. Just get outside, drive north (your gps will help you with directions), when you haven't seen a house for an hour park the vehicle. Get outside the vehicle and walk down a cutline, while you are busy getting lost you will see all of the tracks you desire (maybe not a wolverine, they are fairly rare at lower elevations). You might want to take a book that identifies said tracks, because you clearly will not know one from the other.

Spruce
Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Get outside the vehicle and walk down a cutline, while you are busy getting lost you will see all of the tracks you desire
If this guy does what you’re suggesting he’s going to end up as a bait site himself

Last edited by Chuck_Wagon; 03-18-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:38 PM

Last edited by 6.5swedeforelk; 03-20-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 AM

Do you folks realize that Dwight is still a trapper and holds an RFMA? I'm not sure what that says?!?!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Do you folks realize that Dwight is still a trapper and holds an RFMA? I'm not sure what that says?!?!
Are you sure?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Are you sure?
He owns or is a partner on the line next to the line my son partners on @ Rocky. There have been difficulties.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
He owns or is a partner on the line next to the line my son partners on @ Rocky. There have been difficulties.
I believe Dwayne his brother is the Senior holder. Not suprised there have been difficulties.

It use to be their Dad Carls line.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned

Lol !!!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I believe Dwayne his brother is the Senior holder. Not suprised there have been difficulties.

It use to be their Dad Carls line.
Another wanna be. That figures.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Knock knock
Old 03-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Banned

Default dwight rodtka

209 should get his facts straight before posting.

Anyway the last Dwight's neighbors saw him he was BAITING crows and had a crow call going and blasting them as they came in. Crows were wounded, crying out and flailing all around the bait. Nice guy. Maybe the media could ask him why he baits crows and tortures them..
Old 03-21-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Knock knock
Who's there?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Who's there?

Dwayne
Old 03-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dwayne
Dwayne who?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dwayne who?
You have to think about it that long?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Dwayne who?

Dwayne the tub, I'm DWOWNING!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Dwayne the tub, I'm DWOWNING!!!
Lol. I was really thinking we would get to talk to the brother.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Lol. I was really thinking we would get to talk to the brother.
From another mudder.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
If you don't have a trappers license you cannot trap or snare anything except rabbits!
I surely do like rabbit stew.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Runs cougars with hounds. Outdoors men in competition with other outdoors men. There's enough to go around, why complain about wanting a bigger piece of the pie?
Not necessarily a bigger piece of the pie, but a fair piece of it. I see lines that are not utilized and those critters should be available to a resident willing to put in the effort to get them.

Think we need a squirrel season, quota or open, hmmm.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 AM