Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM

Default |Columbia River

Wondering if anybody has fished the columbia through Fairmont before,down with the wife and kids for a week and I only brought my spinner gear.Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
Wondering if anybody has fished the columbia through Fairmont before,down with the wife and kids for a week and I only brought my spinner gear.Thanks in advance.
Ive fished it farther into the bc interior, and when I was spinncasting I found that the best thing to use hands down was crocodiles. rainbow coloured, or gold or silver. hopefully you can hook into a nice rainbow! =) Those trout sure give great fights
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM

That section of the Columbia is not what it used to be. There are some dollies in there, and the odd trout. I have only ever caught white fish out of the stretch near Fairmont.

Try the Kootenay river a little further south. Bigger water, more and bigger fish.

Good luck and have fun! I was out there over the weekend golfing, and the weather was AMAZING!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Im also interested in this.. didnt catch any last year.. any good advise on lures for the section near fairmont? Also, does anyone know if you cant float the river on a raft ?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM

we drove past it and fished it for 15mins and hooked into a decent rainbow chromee
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM

there's some nice rainbows around the golf course and Abit further down by the airport small dry flies worked good and alot of whites in the deep runs
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM

kinda a noob question.. but how would you suggest to tie dry flies on a spinner rod?
thx
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horton213 View Post
kinda a noob question.. but how would you suggest to tie dry flies on a spinner rod?
thx
You can get some of those clear floats with a plug in each end that allow some water and some air in it. The water gives you some weight to cast it and the air floats it. Adjust the amount of water as needed. Tie the dry fly 18" to 24" below that. Works for nymphing as well. Be sure to use some tippet or other decent fine line to the fly. Try to get the fly to float down drag free. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM

thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horton213 View Post
thx
youd get one of those bobers that lay flat and twist ti on and leave about 2 feet over and tie it on from there so you can cast and yt still use dryflies