Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Beads on shot guns are there because they have always been there and many have come to expect them. I think that they serve about the same purpose as hood ornaments on carz. If I lost a bead I really would have no need to replace it until I sell the gun. I probably would want to replace it just because the gun looks complete with it.

Last edited by covey ridge; 09-13-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
To answer the OP
They stay on fine. I had one on my old Baikal and shot at lots of pheasants with it.
It didn't fall off (and not many pheasants fell down)

Lots of guys at my club use hi viz beads effectively.
I started breaking clays consistently when I got rid of mine

Some guys shoot with one eye really, really well.
I don't

Try a few different things.
Mostly try spend some time shooting clay, whatever game you choose
Thank you
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Yeah like vent ribs, wide ribs, raised ribs, flat ribs. People shot just as well looking down the old pipe.

And then there is cast on, cast off, drop, adjustable cheek rests/recoil pads all a passing fad.

I guess the AO community will have to decide if every manufacturer, every top end target shooter, the other 99% of shooters and the millions of hunters that enjoy vent ribs and high viz beads (the sights of a shotgun) are right or you and that other fellow.

I am going with the flow but you carry on without me. The last time I heard an argument this ridiculous was when the old guys at the deer camp thought scopes on rifles were a passing fad for us young whippersnappers that couldn't shoot straight.

I didn't say all those things were passing fads, you did! Your making an argument where there isn't one, probably best if we do carry on with out you!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I didn't say all those things were passing fads, you did! Your making an argument where there isn't one, probably best if we do carry on with out you!
No, you said high viz beads were a fad. Funny my first auto loader, an SKB XL900, had one and 40 years later they all have them. Vent ribs, mid beads and high viz sights good hand and hand. Love'em or hate'em they are here to stay.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
No, you said high viz beads were a fad. Funny my first auto loader, an SKB XL900, had one and 40 years later they all have them. Vent ribs, mid beads and high viz sights good hand and hand. Love'em or hate'em they are here to stay.

The topic was high vis sights. Having some guys disagree with you really sets you off doesn't it, have you ever considered anger management classes? And didn't you say you were done here?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The topic was high vis sights. Having some guys disagree with you really sets you off doesn't it, have you ever considered anger management classes? And didn't you say you were done here?
If all you have left is childish insults than I guess I am done here.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Good morning all. Just curious how well these stay on traipsing through the bush if anybody has used them.
Don't bother with them. A simple brass bead is all you need. First time hunting with a new beretta a400, the red holographic site broke off getting out of the truck, filled my limit on pheasant, partridge and sharp tailed grouse without it. Bought a simple brass bead to replace it, never used another holographic site, but I never learned using one. Can't imaging a magnet holding a site would last a second in the field
Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
If all you have left is childish insults than I guess I am done here.

Speaking of childish insults,

Quote "I know you like to project yourself as an expert but lets remember that you have to check your watch to know how old your first real bird dog is. "

I believe these are your words from post #15
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM

Thank you for the replies.

Would in the best interest of the forum to keep it civil, and take any disagreements to PMs. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Speaking of childish insults,

Quote "I know you like to project yourself as an expert but lets remember that you have to check your watch to know how old your first real bird dog is. "

I believe these are your words from post #15
Not to worry, I am not easily offended by such nonsense. Whether or not I owned the dogs, I have been hunting over other people's dogs for many years, and I have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds out of shotguns since the 90s , both hunting, and shooting clay targets. Oddly enough, the people that seem to have the least use for hi vis beads, and for aiming with beads, have also fired hundreds of thousands of rounds wing shooting.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not to worry, I am not easily offended by such nonsense. Whether or not I owned the dogs, I have been hunting over other people's dogs for many years, and I have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds out of shotguns since the 90s , both hunting, and shooting clay targets. Oddly enough, the people that seem to have the least use for hi vis beads, and for aiming with beads, have also fired hundreds of thousands of rounds wing shooting.

I'm not worried and I know you aren't either but this guy started hurling insults as soon as some one disagreed with him and then tried to turn it around on me. He should have just quit while he was ahead.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I have no use for them either as anyone that read the thread instead of grabbing quotes out of context directed at someone else would know.

You yourself stated that you much preferred the slightly raised rib of the Brownings over the flat rib of Beretta. The ventilated ribs aren't vents they are part of a sight to look down and both come standard with high viz. What were you doing looking at them and how could they possible affect your shooting as you stated they did? You also stated that if a gun doesn't shoot where you are looking you just look somewhere else. Without referencing the sights, how do you know where to look? You reference the sight of course and if you only shoot a few rounds a years you would have to continue to do so or buy another shotgun that fit you better. And please explain why competition shooters use these dreaded things and a host of other widgets to aid in shooting. They shoot thousands of rounds a week, they should be able to do it with their eyes closed.

Anyway, my opinion stands. If you only get out a few tines a year (like the vast majority) put the bead on the bird and shoot. If you want to make the commitment, practise for hundreds of rounds and take it to the next level, get a shotgun fitted and get out to a club with someone like elkhunter to mentor you.

I would bet a weeks wages that 90% of "bird hunters" have never patterned their shotguns, have not practised enough or at all, and fire less than a couple of boxes of shells each year. Telling them to instinctively do something that they have never done is not going to produce results.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not worried and I know you aren't either but this guy started hurling insults as soon as some one disagreed with him and then tried to turn it around on me. He should have just quit while he was ahead.
I didn't try to turn anything around on you. I don't even know what you are trying to accomplish other than not minding your own business. You have no argument so you start acting childish and now resort to quoting out of context my comments to someone else. That is just weird and creepy.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
You yourself stated that you much preferred the slightly raised rib of the Brownings over the flat rib of Beretta. The ventilated ribs aren't vents they are part of a sight to look down and both come standard with high viz.
I prefer a sightly raised rib for shooting clays, because it results in me looking a bit further away from the barrel which provides me with a bit better view of the targets. SxS shotguns are no longer common for competitive clays shooting, because they restrict the shooters view of the target more than an O/U or a single barrel gun. As for hi viz beads being standard on guns with higher ribs, my Kreighoff does not have a hi viz bead. In fact even the Kreighoff Pro Sporters with the highest rib do not come with them. If they were really an advantage, why do you suppose that the manufacturer of one of the top competition shotgun lines doesn't make them standard on their competition guns? As for the competition guns that come with them, how many of the better shooters do you suppose use them as sights? Some people do use them as a reference to verify gun mount, then they ignore them, and call for the target. And again, we are talking pre mounted guns, or situations where the origin and path of the target is known in advance ,not hunting situations, where you aren't sure of exactly where the target is coming from, or where it is going. As for the rib, it provides a flat surface to look over, not to look at. And again, it is a reference, not a sight.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I would bet a weeks wages that 90% of "bird hunters" have never patterned their shotguns, have not practised enough or at all, and fire less than a couple of boxes of shells each year. Telling them to instinctively do something that they have never done is not going to produce results.
Maybe this is off topic, but maybe this 90% should be told the same as we often suggest to big game hunters. Don't shoot or hunt till you are reasonably sure of hitting and killing.

" have never patterned their shotguns, have not practised enough or at all, and fire less than a couple of boxes of shells each year.[B]

^^^^^^^^This seems the same as hunting with a rifle that is not sighted.
Unless they are proven, what good are sights? Rifle or shot gun?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 PM

Oddly enough, the people that seem to have the least use for hi vis beads, and for aiming with beads, have also fired hundreds of thousands of rounds wing shooting.[/QUOTE]

100's of thousands of rounds wing shooting?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Oddly enough, the people that seem to have the least use for hi vis beads, and for aiming with beads, have also fired hundreds of thousands of rounds wing shooting.
Quote:
100's of thousands of rounds wing shooting?
Hundreds of thousands of rounds shooting flying targets, the principle is the same whether they are made from pitch or have feathers.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-14-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 PM

To those guys who worry about the magnetic ones falling off (this is based on the assumption you want one - I don't, others may differ)
They have four rare earth magnets in the holder.
If you get a couple of these from Lee Valley and stick them on your fridge, then try to take them off, your doubts will be put to rest.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I didn't try to turn anything around on you. I don't even know what you are trying to accomplish other than not minding your own business. You have no argument so you start acting childish and now resort to quoting out of context my comments to someone else. That is just weird and creepy.

To start with, this is a public forum, if you want people to mind there own business then you shouldn't post yours online.
Secondly, Nothing was taken out of context, your insulting remarks about checking his watch so see how old his first hunting dog is was pretty clear.

Several of us stated why we don't like hi viz sights and you started making insulting comments and called us childish. The thing with public forums is that you are free to post your opinion on anything you like and when some one disagree's with you, your entitled to debate them but your not entitled to start insulting them. That's the way it works.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
To start with, this is a public forum, if you want people to mind there own business then you shouldn't post yours online.
Secondly, Nothing was taken out of context, your insulting remarks about checking his watch so see how old his first hunting dog is was pretty clear.

Several of us stated why we don't like hi viz sights and you started making insulting comments and called us childish. The thing with public forums is that you are free to post your opinion on anything you like and when some one disagree's with you, your entitled to debate them but your not entitled to start insulting them. That's the way it works.
Just let it go. It's the internet for the love of God. Elk and I have been in many dust ups online but it is not a big deal. We are both outdoorsmen passing time between hunts. If we meet at the release sites he would get nothing but my respect and I would expect the same. Move on to another topic, this thread is done.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No kidding.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No kidding.
You need people sticking up for you now?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 PM

I have a hard enough time concentrating on the fuzzy things like the bird to have a hi- viz sight be in clear focus !
Cat
Old 09-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You need people sticking up for you now?
No, but the fact that people on the sidelines that don't know either of us are making such observations, sure seems to bother you.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
No, but the fact that people on the sidelines that don't know either of us are making such observations, sure seems to bother you.
Yeah it does, kinda like a creepy stalker. I don't know which one of us should be bothered though

So today I got a big rooster up right in my face, actually flying slightly towards me at about 10 yards. Waited for him to turn and missed him with both barrels. I was looking at the fiber optic sight and thinking thank God Elkhunter isn't here to witness that.

Nailed the next two so all is well.

Have fun and be safe out there.