Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 PM

Default More information on future hunting in the Castle

interesting wording in the following. They definitely differentiate between the Wildland and Provincial parks, with the provincial park's future hunting opportunities being most vague at this time. First time i have seen "restrictions" in any public documents.

my take is, smoke em while you got em.

How and where will hunting be permitted in the Castle parks?

Like all Wildland Provincial Parks, hunting will continue to be permitted in the Castle Wildland Provincial Park under current regulations. These same regulations will also apply to Castle Provincial Park in the short term, including the 2017 hunting season.

In the longer term, a review will be undertaken to determine wildlife management priorities in the Castle Provincial Park. This review will likely lead to a tailored plan (and may include a wildlife management unit with specific allocations) to meet conservation objectives in the park. While some restrictions may be introduced, hunting will remain an important tool for managing wildlife populations.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/hunting...tle-parks.aspx
Old 04-24-2017, 06:15 PM

The old divide and conquer trick is being put into play.

Allow hunting in 2017, record all complaints against hunters during 2017, decide at the consultation that the 2018 season will not exist.

The government destroys our privileges with baby steps.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-24-2017, 06:29 PM

One can only guess now that ohvs will be out at the end of 2017, it could be easy too slowly pick away at Harvesting and fishing.

Doo Noo.

Maybe they will pick away at it with limited harvest ttime& fishing time restrictions, what ever the GoA decides, it will be less instead of more.

Let's hope for the best in the long hual.

Don
Old 04-24-2017, 09:50 PM

Sure are a lot of grizz out there.... Wonder if they will partake in a feast of granola

We as outdoorsmen will be losing out big time.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned

Default post#1

Your obsevation has some truth.

This is not the first change of what will be.

The first or template was in the district that included drayton valley?

Blue Rapids.

Yes your comment may be true.

My comments are based on the summary ,page 35?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 AM

i can see the park area going to a Kananaskis model with draws and guiding allocations.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The old divide and conquer trick is being put into play.

Allow hunting in 2017, record all complaints against hunters during 2017, decide at the consultation that the 2018 season will not exist.

The government destroys our privileges with baby steps.
For what purpose? What's the end game?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
For what purpose? What's the end game?
right now Y to Y is running the show if you have been following the meetings reported in the quad squad. So what does the American environmental group running the Alberta government environment department really want?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:19 AM

get rid of/greatly restrict hunting in the castle. it was pretty clear with the draft they did not think through how to address hunting as it stands today, with the new park restrictions they want to implement.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Take a look at the eco fascists involved in the Y2Y group. Their ultimate goal is a human activity ban in the area. The low hanging fruit is hunting and OHV. The attack has already begun on the off roaders, in fact I'd say that battle has already been lost. Next will be hunting. Then camping. Excuses will be made to close areas and streams to hiking and fishing, on they march.

Government knows that groups won't support one another, so they pick them off one at a time. Take a look at older threads on the castle area, hunters vs hikers, ohv's vs fisherman, pathetic, in the end we all lose. Just like the forward march against firearms, death by a thousand cuts.

The end game is, whatever the NDP/Alberta Parks bureaucrats decide it is. I assume there are retirement investments that have been made in the area, now all they have to do is stack the deck in their favor.

Remember bureaucrats make careers of stuff like this. They advance their personal/lobbyist agendas slowly when being watched, when they have a sympathetic boss they move more quickly. The writing is on the wall that the NDP are one and done(hopefully) so the agenda will be advancing more quickly over the next couple years.

PS. my tinfoil hat is a bit tight this morning, helps keep the global warming inspired snow off my head.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 04-28-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Take a look at the eco fascists involved in the Y2Y group. Their ultimate goal is a human activity ban in the are
This. Next up, Porcupines, Bob's Creek. They're also pushing hard in the bow valley.

https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...redevelopment/

https://y2y.net/news/events/monitori...around-canmore
Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Imagine what the hunting pressure will be like further east after the foothills/crown zones are no hunting.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
This. Next up, Porcupines, Bob's Creek. They're also pushing hard in the bow valley.

https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...redevelopment/

https://y2y.net/news/events/monitori...around-canmore
I was under the impression that the bighorn wilderness area which is huge was going to be next on the docket. If the ndp is able to stay around for much longer anything west of the trunk road and a few other select areas will be off limits, it sucks having a government in power that only listens to the fringe tree huggers.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Imagine what the hunting pressure will be like further east after the foothills/crown zones are no hunting.
Well said, most of the other WMU's will definitely get more busy(and longer draw times of course)!!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I was under the impression that the bighorn wilderness area which is huge was going to be next on the docket. If the ndp is able to stay around for much longer anything west of the trunk road and a few other select areas will be off limits, it sucks having a government in power that only listens to the fringe tree huggers.
Oh it's in the works too! They're being pretty coy about Bow Valley corridor at the moment too.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

Really sad that we have some that will even align themselves with foreign, extremist environmental groups just because they don't like one user group.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Timely comment.

Shannon was "touring" near rocky mountain house and Hinton this week,,,,,,,
Old 04-29-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Really sad that we have some that will even align themselves with foreign, extremist environmental groups just because they don't like one user group.
Calling people names is not going to help your case. ATVs are a minority use (<15% of Albertans). Making parks is popular and if you think that frustration about quad damage is a fringe view you should expand your social circle a bit.

Governments follow the votes. Will be interesting to see how/if the Castle plan changes after the last consultation but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the feedback supports the government plan.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 AM

Why are you tying this back into quad use? Read the post title. It's clear the government wants anyone they do not approve of out of there/limit them. Granola crunchers and those that string barb wire across legal quad trails in order to injure OHV users welcome. Actions are stronger than words.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Calling people names is not going to help your case. ATVs are a minority use (<15% of Albertans). Making parks is popular and if you think that frustration about quad damage is a fringe view you should expand your social circle a bit.

Governments follow the votes. Will be interesting to see how/if the Castle plan changes after the last consultation but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the feedback supports the government plan.
Not calling names, just identifying certain environmental groups as extremist and I stand by that characterization.

They refuse to listen to any alternate view than theirs, they will accept no compromise (could easily accomodate OHVs in Castle), they resort to activities that put others in danger to advance their agendas.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post

If there was a vote today in which only the users of the Castle Area could vote, you would be suprised at the outcome.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:05 AM

Is it possible that with access restrictions that the hunting improves? I'm thinking about the places I hunt where it's foot access only ... these are the same places where I see the most (and the biggest) game.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Is it possible that with access restrictions that the hunting improves? I'm thinking about the places I hunt where it's foot access only ... these are the same places where I see the most (and the biggest) game.
It is possible. I hunted Bobs creek last fall. I seen very few hunters. I seen tonnes of game. Could hunting pressure have something to do with it??? Also nice and quiet not having motorized vehicles roaring around all afternoon.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Not likely, animals get used to noise. I can't tell you how many times I have seen animals standing on the trails when I've been out riding and lots of time when I've been sitting up high looking for game I see people ride right by game and not even know it. It really doesn't bother the Elk at all. You see people expect to find animals standing everywhere and when they don't it's the OHV's fault. With the other thread going about how far you walk is probably the biggest reason why people don't see game. Once you learn where the game hangs out then that is half the battle. The other thing is the comment about the biggest game in a foot access area is a bunch of bull too, cause different areas have different genetics, feed and minerals. People are lazy and just want to walk down a trail hunt off of trails and not get off the beaten path. Common sense says you will see more game in an area where you can ride because you can cover more ground than you can on foot.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Not likely, animals get used to noise. I can't tell you how many times I have seen animals standing on the trails when I've been out riding and lots of time when I've been sitting up high looking for game I see people ride right by game and not even know it. It really doesn't bother the Elk at all. You see people expect to find animals standing everywhere and when they don't it's the OHV's fault. With the other thread going about how far you walk is probably the biggest reason why people don't see game. Once you learn where the game hangs out then that is half the battle. The other thing is the comment about the biggest game in a foot access area is a bunch of bull too, cause different areas have different genetics, feed and minerals. People are lazy and just want to walk down a trail hunt off of trails and not get off the beaten path. Common sense says you will see more game in an area where you can ride because you can cover more ground than you can on foot.
If this is true then every quad hunter should fill all their tags every year on opening day at 12:15 PM Lol. I call BS
Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
If this is true then every quad hunter should fill all their tags every year on opening day at 12:15 PM Lol. I call BS
If it was not true people on OHV would never see game. We know animals have keen ears.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
It is possible. I hunted Bobs creek last fall. I seen very few hunters. I seen tonnes of game. Could hunting pressure have something to do with it??? Also nice and quiet not having motorized vehicles roaring around all afternoon.
Went to Bob Creek a few times, recently. Did not hear motorized vehicles all afternoon.

But then again, I wasn't 500 yards from the staging area.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Lots of guys still thinking how great it will be with no quads in the castle, and are happy their opportunities will increase. You will have great opportunities on your draw tag or on a guided hunt.(if allowed at at). Enjoy.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 AM

It is a proven fact that elk and grizzly bears avoid motorized travel.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
It is a proven fact that elk and grizzly bears avoid motorized travel.
Not true!! I've had 4 run ins with grizzly bears, my last one was 3 grizzlies at about 4 feet while sitting on my machine, and I've had bull Elk at about 10 yards.