Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Default St. Hubertus the Hunting God.

Hubert, Patron Saint of Hunters
By ©Mitch Ballard

Jagermeister label showing stag with
cross suspended between antlers.
Some historical scholars estimate the year was 705 A.D. while others claim it was 656. Regardless, St. Hubert, the Patron Saint of Hunters was born in the European city of Maastricht of French nationality. All the scholars agree Hubert died at Fura (the modern city of Tervueren) in the province of Brabanton May 30, 727 A.D.
Hubert was the oldest son of Bertrand, Duke of Aquintaine and grandson of Charibert, King of Toulouse - a descendant of The Great Pharamond.
Hubert was reportedly a great lover of pleasure and his chief passion was the chase, to which he devoted nearly all his time. According to the legend, Hubert was afield the morning of Good Friday (while the faithful were crowding into church) and he was participating in the chase of a deer on horseback with his famous hounds.
The Catholic Encyclopedia states: As he was pursuing a magnificent stag, and in a clearing in the forest, the animal stopped and turned. Hubert wasastounded at perceiving a crucifix suspended between its antlers, while heheard a voice from the figure of Christ say, "Hubert, unless you turn to theLord, and lead a holy life, you shall quickly fall into the abyss of Hell!"
Hubert dismounted immediately from his horse, fell prostrate on the groundand asked, "Lord, what would you have me do?"
He immediately received the reply, "Go and seek Lambert and he will instruct you."
At the time, Lambert was the Bishop of Maastricht, who kindly receivedHubert and became his spiritual advisor. Complicating matters even further,Hubert lost his wife during the childbirth of their first son shortly after hisvision in the woods. Hubert decided to renounce all his honors, titles andmilitary rank. Plus he relinquished his birthright as heir to the Duchy ofAquintaine, giving it to his younger brother Eudon, whom he also made thegodfather of his infant son, Floribert.
Another version of the legend reports Lambert taught Hubert self discipline by forcing him to live alone as a hermit in the Ardennes (the Great French Forest) for a while.
After distributing all his wealth among the poor, Hubert entered upon hisstudies for the priesthood and was soon ordained. Shortly afterward he became one of Lambert's chief associates in the administration of his Diocese. Upon the advice of Lambert, Hubert made a pilgrimage to Rome and during his absence, Lambert was assassinated, but that's another story in itself. At the same hour as the Pope was giving an audience to Hubert, the Pope was distracted by a vision of Lambert's murder and on the spot he appointed Hubert as the new Bishop, replacing Lambert. Hubert returned to become the 31st Bishop of Maastricht (and the first Bishop of Liege) and was eventually described as the "Apostle of the Ardennes."
According to the legend, idolatry still lingered in the Ardennes Forest and"risking his life, Hubert penetrated the remote lurking places of paganism in his pursuit of souls and finally brought about the abolishment of the worship of idols in his neighborhood."
Eventually, Hubert went to dedicate a new church but had another vision, this one of his impending death. He continued anyway, preaching a valedictory sermon and fell sick almost immediately. Within six days, Hubert died while repeating The Lord's Prayer. The Roman Catholic Church has designated his feast day as November 3, appropriately enough since the rut is usually at or near its peak by then.
Hubert reportedly also worked several miracles during his life by exorcisingthose possessed by demons and curing a case of rabies after making the sign of the cross over the victim. Hubert is also the patron saint for archers, forest workers, furriers and trappers, hunters and huntsmen as well as hunting as a profession. He is also the patron saint for mathematicians, machinists, precision instrument makers and smelters along with those stricken with hydrophobia (rabies) and dogs.
In a related topic, bloodhounds (which are well known for their scenting ability and commonly acknowledged as ancestors of many different hunting dog breeds) reportedly originated from a cross between the black hounds of St. Hubert and the white hounds of the House of Talbot - both of which are from the Ardennes. Records from the House of Talbot provide further credence to this theory and tradition indicates many bloodhounds in Europe are still known and registered as the "Ohien de St. Hubert."
Hubert's representation is a stag bearing a cross or crucifix between its antlers: Hence the Master Hunter's (or Jagermeister's) Badge of Honor.
In fact the bottle cap on an imported bottle of Jagermeister herbal liqueur is a duplication of the Master Hunter's badge. The bottle's label also has the same representation of a stag with a shining cross, suspended between the antlers, as the brand's logo. Surrounding the label is a German phrase, which loosely translated means: "This is the hunter's badge of honor, which he protects and wears as his shield, to guard, while in the fine andhonorable profession of hunting; which also honors the Creator and his creations."
Literally translated, Jagermeister means Master Hunter in the German language. The term is applied to those who have rightfully earned therespect of their peers and regular citizens as well. German heritage requires much more of hunters than simply passing an eight-hour safety course before being issued a license. In that country it is a privilege to go afield with a firearm and the sport requires many seasons ofapprenticeship.
Following four years of apprenticeship a hunter is then allowed to take the exam for Jagermeister certification. This distinct traditional heritage is from the country that also brought us the legend of Bambi. You'll recall the bad guys in the original Bambi story were "poachers," not hunters. There is noanti-hunting social agenda in Germany since the sport is highly regulated and steeped in tradition. Hunters are welcomed everywhere.
German hunters also participate in extensive rituals following the death of a big game animal taken while hunting, along with other cultural heritages including a toast to the fallen animal itself. Caveman instincts bond all hunters when they're in the field - no matter what modern civilization has done to each person.
Quite possibly those centuries-old traditions are what has evolved into theNorth American big game hunter's need to participate in some form ofceremony following the kill. Maybe they are unsure of just where or how itstarted, but many hunters (including Native Americans) repeat a prayer, or chant, or simply express their joy with a shout of excitement after the shot isconfirmed and the animal is down.
Anything from smearing the blood of a freshly killed deer on your face (similar to war paint) to saying a brief prayer of thanks to loud whoops, or simply firm handshakes all around pretty much describe the range of activities surrounding a freshly killed deer or elk here in America. It certainly is a rite of passage for a youngster to take their first big game animal and it's an experience they'll never forget.
Regardless, giving thanks to the dead animal, and to God, for the resultingnourishment must be what it's all about. Respect for the fallen, and seeking a blessing for the meat, and honoring the death of one of God's creatures must be the catalyst for these traditions. Of course tagging fresh venison is the object, but preparing for and participating in the hunt is almost as rewarding. Activities surrounding the hunt as well as the camaraderie involved with the "tribe" provide untold pleasure as it creates lasting memories.
It is very inappropriate to desecrate, actually violating the sacredness, of anymounted animal with sunglasses, hats, or cigarettes shoved into a taxidermist's work of art. Humoring people who've never participated in the honor of taking a wild game animal's life is disgusting. Domesticated animals provide suitable protein but they don't enjoy the freedom of the wildness experienced by game animals during their lives in the forests and fields. Our teeth and stomachs convert that deer's living energy into our own and we owe it much deserved respect.
So, if you wish, say a prayer of thanksgiving or ask a blessing of St. Hubertwhen you kill your next deer or elk; just remember to honor the death of thewild animal and utilize the meat with respect. It died so that you might live.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Banned

Awesome Rack,, really enjoyed it,

Respect for our kill and giving thanks to the creater,, couple things that were instilled in me as a youngster and that I really try and instill in my boys and they have recieved it well. Abuse or disrespect for a taken animal is not acepted with me and I make no quams about giving thanks to God for the animal provided.

Good stuff thx..
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Very interesting, thanks for posting that.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Wow. I thought at first glance of the title it was a joke. But after reading it I found it very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM

I was introduced to this a couple years back and have tried to teach my boys the importance of being a respectful sportsmen. Of course we must be respectful to other sportsmen, laws, landowners and to others enjoying the outdoors, but what about the game we take? Seems to me from the tv to print there isnt as much acknowledgment given to the animal. I have no problem giving thanks to God for anything and showing respect for the game I take.

I posted this for all to enjoy and to hopefully get out of it what I did and that was to respect nature and be greatfull for the opportunity to enjoy it as a hunter.

I must also add that my Elk hunting group and I also bring a flask of Jaegermeister with us in the event an animal is taken. We will celebrate with a salute to the animal and to St.Hubertus.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 PM

Not the hunting GOD, but patron saint, as the title of story says. But close to home for me, growing up and hunting in that part of the world.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 PM

Thumbs up

Old Celtic/Gaelic Diety Cernounos {sounded as Keir-Nounos}"The horned One" God of the hunter and hunted both was one of the oldest
The tiny pic is depicting him prob dates back to stone age man and dressing like the animal to get close enough for a kill. the religion is a circle of life theme stating the connection of both hunter and hunted as being interchangable and how the prey lives on as sustenance for the hunter

A group from the States HIP Honour Integrity Purpose they espouse a ritual of thanking the animal and promising its sacrifice will feed the hungry and wont go to waste blessing its spiritual journey including a a ritual offering of tobbaco as per Native beliefs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Moosetalker; 10-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Default St. hubertus society

Sometime in the mid late/90's(i can't remember exactly) the St. hubertus society met for there every two/four year meeting in calgary. the meetings are held in a different location around the world every few years. they floated the bow for a couple of days.

everyone that had a drift boat was hired too guide for the event. i asked the fellow that i guided how he became a member? As it's invite only too become a member.

He was in command of some tanks during the final days of ww2. Patton learned that the germans where holding the few remaining royal lippizon(spelling??) Horses. as Patton was on the sidelines, he sent this fellow and others to rescue them before the Russians got them. he was successful and years later asked to join the society.

cool story, just thought i'ld share.