Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Firearms discharge permit

I see you now need a firearms discharge permit to carry a firearm in the new Castle Provincial Park. Not knowing anything about such a permit I thought it was an April Fools joke but I guess not. So if you are hiking or quadding in the Castle and carry a firearm for bear protection you will need such a permit. If you are planning on hunting zone 400 you will need that permit. I know lots of guys who know nothing about that permit so we have to get the word out before guys start getting in trouble.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 PM

IScreenshot_2017-03-31-12-56-25.jpg

Not to derail you, but this would sort of go with the discharge permit. found this on Alberta parks site under hunting wildland parks. Now cwpp? (Castle wildland provincial park) states no hunting .
Am I confused or reading that wrong? Wrong info on their site?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_ker View Post
IAttachment 132816

Not to derail you, but this would sort of go with the discharge permit. found this on Alberta parks site under hunting wildland parks. Now cwpp? (Castle wildland provincial park) states no hunting .
Am I confused or reading that wrong? Wrong info on their site?
you are correct there is a lot of confusion on what is going on
Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 PM

I've never applied for a discharge permit, but I doubt you'd be able to get one for backpacking/hiking when you're just carrying for predator protection.

I guess you could say you're coyote hunting or something like that.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Well Artie, I made a call to alberta parks office and as we were talking, their site was in the process of being updated. The gal on the phone was saying her computer showed hunting and after refreshing my browser, it changed to show hunting permitted. So disregard my screenshot.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_ker View Post
Well Artie, I made a call to alberta parks office and as we were talking, their site was in the process of being updated. The gal on the phone was saying her computer showed hunting and after refreshing my browser, it changed to show hunting permitted. So disregard my screenshot.
Probably an update they weren't supposed to release yet....
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

the one discharge permit i had to apply for was a major pain. F & w told me to keep calling a number that no one answered. I left multiple voice mails that never got returned. The f & w officers i did speak to offered no help or assistance. Apparently the offices dont like to help other juristictions.

Eventually i took a chance and drove the hour to try and speak to someone in person and they gave me the permit no problem.

It was extremely frustrating.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:17 PM

http://www.mywildalberta.com/hunting...tle-parks.aspx

Hopefully this link works. It has some FAQs about the changes to castle park and a link to get your discharge permit. You just print it off and sign it. Also has a link so the public can put forth there opinions on how hunting should be managed after the 2017 season.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I was think that too. "Ooops, that one slipped!"
Old 04-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Made me choke from laughing. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
http://www.mywildalberta.com/hunting...tle-parks.aspx

Hopefully this link works. It has some FAQs about the changes to castle park and a link to get your discharge permit. You just print it off and sign it. Also has a link so the public can put forth there opinions on how hunting should be managed after the 2017 season.
Thanks for the link!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM

What a freaking joke..I hope everyone that voted ndp is happy
Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Banned

Read piece of paper telling you not to shoot within 183m of campgrounds, print and sign paper.

No special rules for the Wildland Park.

Report what you kill.

Seems reasonable to me. Much less strict than Cooking-Lake Blackfoot.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Banned

I am a proponent of mass non-compliance of this BS. Besides apparently they won't have the staff to enforce 99% of the ridiculousness.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Did anyone notice that the Discharge Permit states that, among other almost reasonable restrictions, that you can't dress your kill without permission from an officer?

This is a tad odd. I am still waiting for the Pincher Creek office to tell me what these restrictions all mean and how I am to obtain permission to dress and skin my animal to pack it out. They sound a bit frustrated in that office - it seems that the decisions made in Edmonton are not discussed with field officers.

My experience with the officers is always great - I sympathize with them trying to answer questions when they haven't been briefed.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
Did anyone notice that the Discharge Permit states that, among other almost reasonable restrictions, that you can't dress your kill without permission from an officer?

This is a tad odd. I am still waiting for the Pincher Creek office to tell me what these restrictions all mean and how I am to obtain permission to dress and skin my animal to pack it out. They sound a bit frustrated in that office - it seems that the decisions made in Edmonton are not discussed with field officers.

My experience with the officers is always great - I sympathize with them trying to answer questions when they haven't been briefed.
It looks like nobody in the government really knows what is going on. They have the power just make up a rule even if it makes no sense
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
It looks like nobody in the government really knows what is going on. They have the power just make up a rule even if it makes no sense
Don't tell us you are just realizing this now
Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Seems to me another angle to deter people from going out there to hunt, Make it such a PIA and the peeps will stop going???
Old 04-05-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:

That is odd. So i guess they are fine with meat spoilage then when somebody shoots an elk at the far end of South Lost Creek and they have to drag a whole carcass out, or go find the fish and feather fuzz and get there blessing to gut the animal.
Ah well by the time they get back to it Yogi and Boo Boo have eaten it all up.

Will the madness end?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:15 PM

After further review of the maps that I finally found, it looks like the park boundaries divide as everything south(Generally) of the North fork of Lost Creek falls in the Wildland Provincial park and follows the base of the mountains all the way south down to Waterton. All sorts of fun new boundaries to learn.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
That is odd. So i guess they are fine with meat spoilage then when somebody shoots an elk at the far end of South Lost Creek and they have to drag a whole carcass out, or go find the fish and feather fuzz and get there blessing to gut the animal.

Will the madness end?

You mean Park Ranger (aka Conservation Officer).. Fish and Wildlife Officers are not involved with this.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Will the madness end?
Quote:
After further review of the maps that I finally found, it looks like the park boundaries divide as everything south(Generally) of the North fork of Lost Creek falls in the Wildland Provincial park and follows the base of the mountains all the way south down to Waterton. All sorts of fun new boundaries to learn.
Note the distinction between the Wildland Park and Provincial Park.

Quote:
Like all Wildland Provincial Parks, hunting will continue to be permitted in the Castle Wildland Provincial Park under current regulations. These same regulations will also apply to Castle Provincial Park in the short term, including the 2017 hunting season.
In the longer term, a review will be undertaken to determine wildlife management priorities in the Castle Provincial Park. This review will likely lead to a tailored plan (and may include a wildlife management unit with specific allocations) to meet conservation objectives in the park. While some restrictions may be introduced, hunting will remain an important tool for managing wildlife populations.
Dressing and hanging game has never been permitted in Provincial Parks, so no change there. In the Wildland Park we are good to go for dressing and hanging game.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Note the distinction between the Wildland Park and Provincial Park.

Dressing and hanging game has never been permitted in Provincial Parks, so no change there. In the Wildland Park we are good to go for dressing and hanging game.

This is not correct. There are few examples as hunting is generally not allowed in Provincial parks, but we could review the old cull hunt in Writing-On Stone or the current Cypress Hills regulations to see that the rules for Castle were written by people that don't know what they are doing.

Unless there is a nefarious intent, the non-hunting staff at Parks writing these new rules are out of their league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
You mean Park Ranger (aka Conservation Officer).. Fish and Wildlife Officers are not involved with this.

And that is a real shame. Parks could use the help.

Legislative screw ups would be noticed before printing.
Having non-hunters do all the work is causing problems.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This is not correct. There are few examples as hunting is generally not allowed in Provincial parks, but we could review the old cull hunt in Writing-On Stone or the current Cypress Hills regulations to see that the rules for Castle were written by people that don't know what they are doing.

Unless there is a nefarious intent, the non-hunting staff at Parks writing these new rules are out of their league.

And that is a real shame. Parks could use the help.

Legislative screw ups would be noticed before printing.
Having non-hunters do all the work is causing problems.
OK. My intent was to make the distinction between the two parks in Castle. Dressing/hanging game in Beaver Mines PP was never an option. Dressing/hanging game in a park where people are camping (at a designated site) is generally not a good idea.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
OK. My intent was to make the distinction between the two parks in Castle. Dressing/hanging game in Beaver Mines PP was never an option. Dressing/hanging game in a park where people are camping (at a designated site) is generally not a good idea.
Parks staff regurgitated regulations that apply for a different framework, parks that do not allow hunting....

Which exemplifies my contention that the Parks staff writing this stuff are incapable of producing a logical document when it comes to hunting.

I'll agree that dressing big game in a campground is not a good idea, but I disagree with the rules against storage of game in campgrounds. As this Park allows hunting, there must be an allowance for hunters to camp and safely store their game in the same place. Do you agree?

Hunting and the harvest should not be required to be hidden as though there is something wrong with it.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Last edited by walking buffalo; 04-06-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Parks staff regurgitated regulations that apply for a different framework, parks that do not allow hunting....

Which exemplifies my contention that the Parks staff writing this stuff are incapable of producing a logical document when it comes to hunting.
That's a Texas-sized 10-4
Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
That's a Texas-sized 10-4
Another good reason to leave it as it is and not make it a park
Old 04-06-2017, 12:26 PM

Its a free discharge permit that you can print yourself or obtain from the fish and wildlife office and sign yourself? The free trial run and the next change will be to cost you money.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Another good reason to leave it as it is and not make it a park
Agreed. Although I see it heading the exact opposite direction unfortunately.

All this interest in the Castle is making me want to explore it some while I still can though.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:

I'll agree that dressing big game in a campground is not a good idea, but I disagree with the rules against storage of game in campgrounds. As this Park allows hunting, there must be an allowance for hunters to camp and safely store their game in the same place. Do you agree?

Hunting and the harvest should not be required to be hidden as though there is something wrong with it.
There is no restriction wrt dressing/hanging game in the Wildland Park. Dressing or hanging game in a provincial park designated campsite is not on, ever. Hanging game in a campsite where people are tenting, rving.....with kids, etc is not good because it will attract grizzlies,black bears, wolves, coyotes, crows, ravens and other stuff that don't mix well with humans. It's got nothing to do with hiding a harvest...........it's about safety.

Personally, I don't see the need for these parks at all. Enforcement was all that was needed.