Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Default Acadia Valley trophy show

We had my hometown trophy show last weekend which is always a lot of fun, Cowboy Al brought his Caribou which was great see and we had a number of nice trophies show up that I didn't expect. Overall the number of local trophies has dropped over the last few years (CWD - I know I whine about it every year and I will continue to) but it was still pretty good. A couple of the local guys brought some trophies taken several years ago from the area that were awesome. Special thanks to the Medicine Hat guys that came up to the show and helped with the measuring. Here's a few pics: holding the antlers is my niece who is an experienced trapper and great outdoorsgirl!

This particular deer cost me many hours of sleep last fall. I spent a lot of time trying to close the deal on him but it didn't work out for me, however another local guy was lucky enough to get him and I was happy to see it come to the show. He was only 13" inside but grossed over 180". We called him "Fat Tony" because of his super heavy beams and the spot that he called home.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Good stuff Chet, some real nice critters. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Sweet animals!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Default Nice Racks

Chet you a Niawa?

Was raised in Bindloss myself.

Ken

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 PM

good stuff, thanks for sharing! Who had the taxi work?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

How wide is the top buck? am i wrong or is that the huge one on you-tube? looks to be same one. Also whats the score? doesnt look like he will score as high as i first thought 215-220?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks Chad, Aaron and company for a great day. I really enjoyed it. I've went before just to check it out for an hour or two but this time planned it to spend the afternoon / evening. The wild game supper was awesome. I think my personal favorite was the curry cougar, although the braised bear was a pleasant surprise, I'm planning to make a point of making it an annual event on my "must do" list.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM

I especially like the high tined whitetail in the lower middle row and the full mount cougar. Those will look good on someones wall...........

thanks Dad!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Default Message for Chet : 151

Hi Chet, Nice animals, nice to see you guys get together in Acadia Valley. I sure miss hunting 151, I stay near Evhyn Kulyks and hunt the alkalai valley and surrounding areas. Got some nice antelope over the years, some decent mulies, but had fun. Are the mulie #'s coming back, the locals I keep in touch with are seeing more whiteails since the massacre pushing them up out of the river breaks? I saw a few deer last fall, I was helping my friend look for a suffield bull elk, he ended up shooting a 348" with his 2nd broke off and a big chip off his 5th. Hope spring comes quick, gotta get in shape for dall sheep this August. Take Care, Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Chet you a Niawa?
No sir but I know lots of 'em (Niwa)

Quote:
Who had the taxi work?
A mix of different guys. We tried to put all the mounts up on stage that were brought in.

Quote:
How wide is the top buck? am i wrong or is that the huge one on you-tube? looks to be same one. Also whats the score? doesnt look like he will score as high as i first thought 215-220?
I can't remember how wide he is and I'm sure its not on youTube. It was shot several years ago but a local rancher nets 205 NT I believe.

Quote:
Are the mulie #'s coming back, the locals I keep in touch with are seeing more whiteails since the massacre pushing them up out of the river breaks?
I some areas the Mule Deer are doing OK but overall the quality is down from the pre-CWD era. Whitetail numbers are strong in most areas but trophies are fairly scarce since they are not on draw and cover is pretty sparse.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Looks like you had some good quality animals show up.
Thanks for sharing with us Chet.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Sweet pics Chet,thanks!!! I hunt fairly close to AC and is nice to see some of the deer coming from around the area. Lovin that huge typical mulie!!! Hard to tell how long the mains are but looks like he'd be close to the 190 mark? You know the official?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Is that non typical mulie the big wide one on you-tube?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned

It was the first year I attended your show. Had a blast. Great food, great people and lots of laughs. Congrats! Will be back next year. Just a note, that is not the You Tube buck.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpike View Post
Sweet pics Chet,thanks!!! I hunt fairly close to AC and is nice to see some of the deer coming from around the area. Lovin that huge typical mulie!!! Hard to tell how long the mains are but looks like he'd be close to the 190 mark? You know the official?
looks alot like Ryans doesn't it?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 PM

Smile

From one of the team that put on the trophy show and game supper a big thank you to chet and the scoring team from Med Hat, the groups that attended from med hat,Byemor, Burstal,and areas. Thanks to the hunters who brought heads to display and to those that came to support the evening. The money raised will be used to continue our first time hunter programs (bird and deer) and to provide our scholarship . Looking forward to next year.