Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Ice Fishing Tip-up Alarms

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with those wireless ice fishing tip up sensors that send a signal to a pager-beeper device in the ice fishing hut to let you know when your flag is up? We have all wondered out of the tent to find that the flag has been up for who knows how long and no fish! Time to fix that!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Don't know about those fancy dancy wireless electronic gizmos...I've always just used a bell...just gotta make sure you're within earshot of it

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Banned

Yep big fan of the bells myself, I've used bells on my tipups for so long that I'm not realy used to watching for the flags anymore and would miss alot of fish if I didnt have them. The ones with two little jingle bells are quite a bit louder than the regular brass ones.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Never tried myself, but apparently the door alarm sensors you can buy at the dollar store can be modified for your use. I'm a bell user as well, not sure I want the whole lake to know that I have a flag.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 AM

i haven't used them but am verycurious about them too, the bell is fine if you have no other noise, if there is more than one of you talking or if you got the radio on its still nice to know if there is a fish on.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM

I don't use a bell or alarm on my tip ups but I do listen for the flag to "pop".
My hearing is still good enough I guess!!

I have used these bite alarms tho for my little rods.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Fishing-Rod-B...item2ea9d6858e

Not exactly like this but I have had one for over 6 years now and it used to work great but now the alarm is losing power.The newer ones I've tried just don't seem to be able to be set up the way the old one could,and just not as good.The old one would respond to even the slightest tug of the line while these other ones need a very good tug.....
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Never tried myself, but apparently the door alarm sensors you can buy at the dollar store can be modified for your use. I'm a bell user as well, not sure I want the whole lake to know that I have a flag.

It wokrs great!!! You just have to take a little extra time to take the little magnet out of the side piece and then glue it to the flag spring, or glue a stirng to the magnet and then drill a little hole in the flag spring and tie the string to it!! We are using the nice little cheap wooden tip-ups that you can get from Canadian Tire for about $8 for 3 of them. Tried it out, but the pike wernt biting, so no BEEP BEEP BEEP!!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM

I have the Frabill alarms with the flashing LEDs and it's pretty damn loud, if you are too far to hear them, then you're breaking the rules