Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Default how many rounds??

im pretty new at this, im looking at buying a rifle, not sure if i can afford new yet or not, im looking for a used 243 heavy barrel with a woodstock, im just wondering how many rounds can a rifle fire before it starts to get scary and not worth the money?? also looking for pointers on what to look for what buying a used gun, what kind of questions to ask etc etc... and what should the price range be if its used i dont really want to get ripped off
Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 AM

Smile

Take the rifle to the range and see what size of a group is shooting, if it looks like shotgun pattern don't buy it.
If the rifle was used for hunting and not much target shooting a rifle will out live you.Very few hunters will wear out a barrel.

Q.How many rounds can a rifle fire before it starts to get scary and not worth the money?? A.Depends on a caliber i.e .222rem 5000 or so rounds, some hot magnums as low as 1000 or less rounds.

If it is bolt action and you wear out a barrel re-barrel it .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 AM

wow, i didnt think you could get 5000 rounds out of a gun, all of my grandfathers rifles only have about 10 or less rounds out of them each except his .22's
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 AM

Default Rifle

Flat

What do you want to use the rifle for?
Heavy barrel rifles aren't real useful as hunting rifles, so if your goal is to go to the range and target shoot, it would be a good gun for that.
If you want a hunting rifle, go look at a Stevens 200. They come in all the popular calibers from 223 right up to 300 Win mag. They are all great shooters and a real bargain ,always less than $400.00. FS
Old 11-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Flat

What do you want to use the rifle for?
Heavy barrel rifles aren't real useful as hunting rifles, so if your goal is to go to the range and target shoot, it would be a good gun for that.
If you want a hunting rifle, go look at a Stevens 200. They come in all the popular calibers from 223 right up to 300 Win mag. They are all great shooters and a real bargain ,always less than $400.00. FS
no its going to be mostly for hunting, the only time it will be in the range is to set up the scope. i thought the heavy barrel was a better choice, something to do with heat?? i dunno much when it comes to firearms, i have shot a .243 model 70 with a regular barrel and loved the feel of it. i know its a gun that im comfortable with, then later ill probably add to my collection with a 30-06 and so on.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:43 AM

One rifle I have would still break a clay bird at 500 meters after 2,500 rounds, but for its intended use it was worn out.
For a 500 yard hunting rifle it was not......
Cat
Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM

the stevens gun looks pretty good as well as the price tag, just a couple of questions, whats an acutrigger? and they all seem to have synthetic stocks can i buy a wood stock for it?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
the stevens gun looks pretty good as well as the price tag, just a couple of questions, whats an acutrigger? and they all seem to have synthetic stocks can i buy a wood stock for it?
The acutrigger is a type of safety trigger that will will not trip the sear until the part that contacts your finger engages with the second part of the system.
they are adjustable, but i prefer the standard style.
You can get wood stocks for the savages, but i think they are tad more expensive....
Cat
Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 PM

I retired my competition .22 after its 17,000th round. It shot more, but I had receipts to prove the purchase of 17,000 rounds of .22 ammo.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:17 PM

A hunting rifle will inheritly fire alot less rounds over its lifetime than a target rifle and therefore will have a lot longer life. I have a .257 roberts thats been past down through the family and has seen well over 4000 rounds ( i put 3500 myself through it) and still shoots well. Bought a Springfield XD 9mm handgun 1 year ago and have put 8000 rounds through it and to be honest it shoots better now than it ever did.
Heck i even have a 30 year old bench rifle that still can outshoot me and that barrel has seen a ton of use and would compete with it in a heart beat.
Alot of the factors for barrel life come down to the loads you shoot ( hot loads= more stress on a barrel= shorter life) , how that firearm is cared for, and the type of bullets used.
I have a AR-15 in .223 that the barrel will be replaced this winter after 15000 rounds and its still a decent shooter.
I always thought the steven 200 was a cheap gun until my daughter had the chance last year to shoot one.Now one sits in the safe and i will be damed if that rifle was a born shooter right out of the box.
If you go used find a firearm that has a good bore and im sure you will be good for years to come,and to answer your question,i dont think there is a round count that once reached the guns no good anymore.If you go the used route find a gunsmith to take a look at it and if he give his ok you should be good to go. Best of luck and dont worry we all started out with one gun and most end up with more rifles than they can shoot.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

I like the acutrigger alot, it is about the only factory trigger that you can still adjust down to around 3lbs. You can get a savage rifle with a hardwood stock for around the 500 buck mark. For what a savage rifle with a walnut stock costs I would recomend looking at the weatherby vangard in walnut. A better made gun in my opinion, the downside being that they always have a 24 inch barrel rather than a 22 incher in the standard calibers. If you are merely looking for a deer rifle though, as it seems you are, why not go for a marlin 30-30? Well made, inexpecive, and good for deer out to around 200 yards they are my preferred gun to use when I am strictly after deer.