Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post

Winefredcommander no they don’t but it is a provincial park and you are allowed to ride e bikes there contrary the the comments of them being banned in all parks.
Laws, and the enforcement of said laws, are 2 completely different things...

I think you'll find Dean was right, but hey - you know the answers to your own questions apparently.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:37 PM

Government looking for input.

https://extranet.gov.ab.ca/opinio6//s?s=ebike
Old 06-22-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Laws, and the enforcement of said laws, are 2 completely different things...

I think you'll find Dean was right, but hey - you know the answers to your own questions apparently.

About what part use in provincial parks? I did find it on the respective parks websites. Castle is a go on designated trails. Fish creek a go it’s on the signs at the Access points to the park. I’ve emailed fish and game and the respective pluz areas to confirm for those locations as well, private land seems ok what about straight up crown land in the zones that don’t have ohv restrictions? I have a target location in mind and even if it gives me access to atv trails that’s a huge area I didn’t have access to. Some of you are thinking why just get an atv. Because If I can ride an ebike I gain access to atv trails and I can ride it in the city gaining access to local trails and roadways where no atv’s are allowed. Rules of use as an ohv with the morning closure in the 400 zones won’t effect me I already hunt Friday night to Sunday morning from a backpack by the time I get out there after work on Friday it’s well after 5 and I’m home late after dark Sunday I would be off the bike well before the ohv no ride slot comes into effect.

My other option is to just ride a bicycle there are a lot of bolt on conversion kits I can do in the future or just remove as required. That means I need a trailer and I see there are a lot of kids ones the get converted. I’ll wait to hear from f&g and aep about the specific areas I’m targeting and go from there.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:29 PM

Default E Bike

These are a great way to get into the back country . Both my wife and I have them love them . Check out the SURFACE 604 Boar ! Half the price of what you guys are quoting and Canadian company in BC that are great to deal with . Also thay are 500w disable the throttle and use only pedal assist . Don’t listen to the na sayers there’s way to many out there . Half of them are just to jealous ,cheap or have horses and hate that we don’t have to buy hay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4E887FBD-2EB3-4D17-B37C-97B363B53136.jpg (43.3 KB, 211 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
These are a great way to get into the back country . Both my wife and I have them love them . Check out the SURFACE 604 Boar ! Half the price of what you guys are quoting and Canadian company in BC that are great to deal with . Also thay are 500w disable the throttle and use only pedal assist . Don’t listen to the na sayers there’s way to many out there . Half of them are just to jealous ,cheap or have horses and hate that we don’t have to buy hay
These look great I’m really interested in the boar. I’ve been talking to a few friends who are into mountain biking and converting bikes and they recommended just buying what ever trail bike I want and just converting it when I’m read they are simple installs. Lucky I have heard back from my target areas fish and game office e biking is acceptable in this specific area with only standard transport Canada restrictions great news for me.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 PM

Default Conversion kits

Just know that some ( most )areas don’t allow throttle. I never used mine anyway pedal assist is great . Conversions are all usually throttle assist unfortunately and don’t give the pedal assist that is nice to have . The boar is a specific HD Bike designed by the family that are actually hunters in BC . Toys for boys in Calgary ask for Colin go take one for a test drive . I really like the racks to mount my cooler on front the pania bags carry my decoys and extra gear .P.S. get the 14 amp battery we changed the seats to gramma air adjustable shwin pump ups and added suspension seat posts . Unbelievable difference! Getting old now lol

Last edited by elkchaser; 06-25-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:13 AM

Has anyone looked at the Costco RBSM ebike? seems like a not bad deal at 1350.00
Old 06-26-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-kam View Post
Has anyone looked at the Costco RBSM ebike? seems like a not bad deal at 1350.00
350 watt motor ??...would be OK as a in town commuter...but to small for back country work and range would be a concern as well.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:33 AM

2018 hunt.jpg
love my quietcat and use it as long as ranchers keep giving me permission
Old 06-27-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
These look great I’m really interested in the boar. I’ve been talking to a few friends who are into mountain biking and converting bikes and they recommended just buying what ever trail bike I want and just converting it when I’m read they are simple installs. Lucky I have heard back from my target areas fish and game office e biking is acceptable in this specific area with only standard transport Canada restrictions great news for me.
So just to confirm and to be clear, as long as the bike is a street legal version, 500 Watt max and pedal activated, you can use it in places that don't specifically exclude Ebikes of all types. If it is one of the 1000 Watt specialty jobs you must follow all of the OHV regulations as it is classed as an OHV. Is that an accurate representation of what you were told?

Good news is, even the 500 W versions are a big improvement in pulling hills and weight than a regular pedal bike so if you can find the right Bike you will be good to go. The 604 Boar posted by Elkchaser looks very interesting. Street legal but still built for off road and at a good price. That was not one of the options I found when I was looking.

Post pictures and results once you have had a chance to run it on the trails.you hope you have lots of fun with the new toy, I know I really enjoy mine.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Rad rover 5

I've been looking at this one for a while: https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/ra...AaAhbrEALw_wcB

Primarily for chicken hunting and gettin' into the backcountry. I don't even think of using them in parks except for Castle Park............which has far too many restrictions going on there.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:31 PM

Dean what you posted is accurate to what the officer said. My target area is a pluz and they said as long as it was under 500w pedals assist as per the definitions on transport Canada there are no restrictions on public land.

I have asked about another target zone that has an ohv restriction I suspect it will mirror the other zone as it is also public land but in an email they recommended I call the specific office and talk to the officers there I’ll call Monday.

The boar is really interesting I’m going to have to save a bunch more cash as it’s way above my initial budget for a bike probably won’t be this season don’t want to over stretch my self in this economy.

With how fast there coming out with new smaller lighter technology I bet there will be even more options next year.

Last edited by Dubious; 06-27-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:06 PM

Just to clarify my last post I have not asked about non street legal ebikes with my discussions with f&g or aes as I always intended on a street legal setup for use in the city.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I've been looking at this one for a while: https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/ra...AaAhbrEALw_wcB

Primarily for chicken hunting and gettin' into the backcountry. I don't even think of using them in parks except for Castle Park............which has far too many restrictions going on there.
I’m also looking at this bike. Wife has given the go ahead, but I want to make sure it will be a good fit for hunting.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:09 PM

I find it funny that there are any rules to do with ebikes.
If you allow pedal bikes in a area or park then ebikes should be allowed.
We don't need more bloody rules in our life, and this is one I find stupid.
I don't own a ebike, and probably never will. I have horses, and if someone came riding up on a ebike, I would just wave and say good on them for getting out there.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I find it funny that there are any rules to do with ebikes.
If you allow pedal bikes in a area or park then ebikes should be allowed.
We don't need more bloody rules in our life, and this is one I find stupid.
I don't own a ebike, and probably never will. I have horses, and if someone came riding up on a ebike, I would just wave and say good on them for getting out there.

It’s the unintended consequences they’re worried about. I think if they’re restricted to 500 watts it’s probably not a bad thing. You can really get hoped up bikes that will tear the trails to hell.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Lets see 500-1000 watts, some quads with 500 cc's will not pull out a elk on trailer in muskeg. I just cannot imagine a bicycle with a dinky electrical motor being nothing but a useless toy in the bush.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 AM

Your not going to pull out a whole elk on bike trailer. Idea is to put a quarter or so on trailer and some in a backpack and have some assist in getting it back to truck then go back for more. You can get more meat out faster and easier if you have the right trail to ride on.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Lets see 500-1000 watts, some quads with 500 cc's will not pull out a elk on trailer in muskeg. I just cannot imagine a bicycle with a dinky electrical motor being nothing but a useless toy in the bush.
That is because you are completely unfamiliar with, and have zero knowledge of, the type and style of hunting being discussed on this thread.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM

My brother just bought a $10,000 full suspension Specialized e-bike with the most powerful electric assisting motor on the market. I grew up riding everything on 2 and 4 wheels. Don't be fooled that these e-bikes have anywhere near the capabilities of an OHV. Yes of course they do help but you still gotta put in the work and I was dripping in sweat after riding it around the river valley and back. For the comments about these bikes "ripping up trails" give your head a shake what a load of bs. A horse will make a far larger footprint in the back-country than an e-bike ever will. I have zero issues with anyone using an e-bike for hunting, I think it's a great eco friendly tool that ever so slightly helps the hunter but can also be a hindrance if not fully prepared.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 AM

Been hunting elk/moose/sheep and deer for 60 years in most foothill WMU's in Alberta. Not sure of what type of elk hunting I am not familiar with!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM

IMO getting further back on an Ebike may just create issues with recovering an animal. Recovery with horses can sometimes be problematic enough but how do you do it with an Ebike which has limited mobility and capacity?
Have seen it several times where hunters have ventured beyond a reasonable distance from their vehicle and shot an animal. Few know how to even quarter let alone debone and pack game and end up wasting or damaging their harvest.
Personally I feel backpacking is a safer option as carrying a heavy pack on any bike is precarious at best.
Just my perspective......I'm sure there are many opinions on this subject lol
Old 07-01-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Been hunting elk/moose/sheep and deer for 60 years in most foothill WMU's in Alberta. Not sure of what type of elk hunting I am not familiar with!
You tell that Gorbie BGW!
Old 07-04-2020, 01:37 PM

Default E-bikes

I think a lot of you missed the OP question ??really if you haven’t used one or don’t have one. ? I don’t know why your comments are on here These are not the replacement for a quad by any means . It only to allow you to get a bit further back from the masses. You still have to do all the work of getting a animal out . But it’s a lot more convenient to take 4 small trips on a bike than 4 long trips by foot . You still have to be aware of battery life and how crazy far back and rugged a area you want to push it . I am fortunate that my wife hunts with me as a team half the work or trips . But we don’t want to ever get into a predicament where we are stuck not able to retrieve all our meat so be conservative . It’s common sense people ! Hunt within your ability. Know the rules weather it’s 500w power assist on crown or private land and u are allowed 1000w throttle assist. Don’t believe all the na saying replies figure out what you need can use for your application. The amount of negativity miss information in a lot of post on this forum are truly sad .
Old 07-05-2020, 12:57 PM

I bought a Volt Yukon with panniers, etc, cost me $2,200. Works great. Well built and the range seems good. Did a round trip of 30k, uphill 15k and back mainly on fsr exceptfor the last 3k of single track. I used 60% of the battery.

Now looking for one of those baby carriages to pull behind it and a .means of mounting a scabbard.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I bought a Volt Yukon with panniers, etc, cost me $2,200. Works great. Well built and the range seems good. Did a round trip of 30k, uphill 15k and back mainly on fsr exceptfor the last 3k of single track. I used 60% of the battery.

Now looking for one of those baby carriages to pull behind it and a .means of mounting a scabbard.
Heavy duty single wheel version for off road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmnHuUysxVM

https://bikerumor.com/2018/08/28/bur...y-singletrack/

From my days hunting on non assist bikes, the single wheel trailers pull WAY better off road and in rough terrain.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:09 PM

For a gun carrier that attaches to a bike rack check out the Cogburn Gear Carrier. I have had their pedal bikes.....seems they were a bit ahead of the curve for bike hunting.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the posts on the extras.

Personally I'd encourage hunters to try it. I'm an older outdoorsmen that has never particularly liked the ATV as a hunting tool but wanted some mechanical assistance. The bikes are a simple, quiet ride. An enjoyable experience in of themselves. My son's have them too and whilst it's still new, it's fun riding into our scouting areas to check the cameras.

They go everywhere you'd expect a mountain bike to go, and on the Yukon there is a push assist when it's too steep.

This will our first season but I would have loved to have had one packing out our elk last season. I figure you could do it in three trips deboned.

One thing to note is that the Yukon is heavy and not something you'd want to carry out. Bring basic tools and a emergency tire repair kit.

Would love to see people's pics of their setup.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Um, well for starters "back country" hunting.
You're the same guy that thinks there's no where left in Alberta where your flip phone won't work. You also told us that there's no place left in the province that isn't within 10km of a road.
Remember this thread?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=377390
Old 07-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Banned

I love the idea, but I'm kind of skeptical for winter hunts.

Anyone have any experiences during winter hunts on an Ebike?

If so, how did the Ebike handle deep snow? and what was your set up for it?