Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 AM

is this open to people from saskatchewan or just albertans?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Advice please?

okay, so this is my first post, and i'm doing it because I've read in the "Crown land2 thread how helpful all you guys are.
I hit land here in AB at the end of August, yes another B. foriegner!
Now I have a love of fishing shooting and the great outdoors.
I started off with an albino ferret hunting rabbits with purse nets in the west of Scotland, then went on to shotguns, and finaly rifles.
so i took a couple of weeks to find a house, then wait until all my stuff arrived from Scotland. Jeez I'd spent days cleaning and disinfecting all my gear, clthing, boots etc. I sold my guns 'cause the Customs were to heavy.
figured I'd apply for my tickets and buy new here.
right i'm coming to the point now.
When my rods arrived i went to Canadian tie and bought my licence and WIN card. reading the WIN application I ticked the box for having completed an out of state hunters course, this was due to having in 2003 studied for, sat, and passed the Red deer societies Deer stalkers certificate.
This consisted of written and oral examination as well as firearms safety and an accuracy test on a fallow deer (smaller than any canadian deer i've seen)target at 100yds.
Question is will this be acceptable?
On the plus side 7 brook trout caught and released in Horse Creek west of Cochrane on 28/10, Just inside the season, but a lovely way to finish
Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM

i did when i was 12, (13) now and i got 95% on it. It was really fun and i learned alot from it.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Finnished it in about 6 hours on the weekend and got a 99% on the final. Overal it was realy informative and easy to follow. I can only complain that there were a couple of questions on the quizzes that contradicted the literature or just was not in it. BUt overall it was definately worth it.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Default Course Module's

Hello,

i was wondering if anyone know's how or where you get the Module's for the Online Hunter Education Certification? or do they be sent to you when you sign up for the Coures?

Thanks

Raphael Murphy
Fort McMurray,AB
Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Its all set up on the website, nothing gets downloaded to your computer. You sign in to your account and get workin.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up

Thank's Coltprins
Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Wink CFSC...online ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
No, firearms acquisition is a different issue. You must successfully take the Canadian Firearms Safety course or challenge the exam. Contact AHEIA (web link in original message) for course or exam dates and times (click on the conservation centres).
----------
We're for more then 8 month in Alberta now to living here. We've enjoyed our hiking and fishing tours thru Kanaskis Country since we're settled. My Dad and my Grandpa were hunter in Germany and now I'am learning everything to pass the online huntercourse. I bought also the CFSC Exam to learn and pass it in a timely manner to be well prepeared when the hunting season get started this year. I was wondering if there is any in practice test how to handle the rifle and so on. Appreciate your help!!
Thanks, Markus
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
pixel-shooter

Great to know, my daughter took this 2 years ago, paid $50 if I remember, get a hard copy of book, when she was to write, we phoned and they mailed out the test, once she completed I had to bring it in and they marked it on the spot. My son turns 12 in July so he is chomping at the bit, got to luv technology!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:34 AM

I took the course last time I was at work. Took me about 2 weeks just doing one unit every day or two.
It was very informative, my only complaint would be that you can't print any of the info so are left with no hardcopy.
For some of the modules covered it would be nice to have something to refer back to
S.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:27 AM

Default Let the kids have more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel-shooter View Post
Great to know, my daughter took this 2 years ago, paid $50 if I remember, get a hard copy of book, when she was to write, we phoned and they mailed out the test, once she completed I had to bring it in and they marked it on the spot. My son turns 12 in July so he is chomping at the bit, got to luv technology!
This on line course is great, but why rob your kids, youth what ever of the real experience. Join your local Fish and Game club (Sherwood Park has an awesome club) and as in ours, we send two, maybe three kids to Narrow Lake Conservation Camp (at no cost to the kid) every summer. My Daughter went last summer (going back in July, I hope) and came home with her Hunters course, her Boat operators License, her Firearms certificate and had a heck of a good time doing it in a one week camp atmosphere. Our deal is the parents should be active with the club. They are running two camps this July, 5 to 11 and 19 to 25. And if you want to volunteer to help, it is always appreciated. AHEIA does the same thing with their youth camps. And new this summer July 15,16, 17 is the AFGA BOW course (Become an Outdoor Women) which will be held at Narrow lake as well. I believe this gets the Ladies their Hunter Education course. And I know I have said all this on an earlier post when some people were asking where they can get their kids trained, but it is worth repeating. So Get out there and join any of the organizations that support the Hunters and Fishermen(Fisherladies) and get trained.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Default Great test

My girlfriend just got done taking it on Friday this was a great way to learn lots of time to read it and talk about it with other to give you a better idea about it and a few great little test before the exam to make sure you are learning it and not rushing thought it. If you are thinking about taking it this is by far the way to go
Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Default Hunting Course for Youth

There are some great hunting camp courses for the kids as well.

If I had a new one coming up I would send them there and also volunteer for it.

REM
Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM

I found the course to be laid out fairly well and was easy to follow. Great for the person that has trouble gettin to a course for whatever reason. Don't think the spellcheck was workin when they done it though, heck of a lot of typos! Would recommend it to anyone with xp in the outdoors and naturally leaning to huntin an skinnin in the great white north!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Online Hunter Education Certification

Oh, as for other cl*****, just keep checking parks and wildlife for listings. I have 3 yet to go this year besides the SCI deal. All are away from Houston though. One in Cleveland, one in Newton Co. and one over in Willis will be a bow hunter/hunter ed class. The cl***** are a minimun 2 day course unless you get a deferal or take the class online then take a skill trail/test class. Its all up to the volunteer instructor on the set up. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 PM

my wife took the test last year and aced it as well the test is a no brainer
Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM

As a new member I may be over stepping my bounds but here it goes. As I see it, having an on-line version allows newhunters another option that fits in better with work, travel, school and family. It gets more hunters SOME training and helps close some of the systemic gaps that seem to exist with accountability and the WIN. ITo date I have been finding this course helpful in background information.

Having only an "in person" course as a way to filter out unethical hunters does not seem to be working as they still exist. Unethical peole behave unethically regardless of the parameters, that is their character.One of the issues I think that is underlying is that the HUnter Education Curse equals a competent hunter.

It is one step, but I hope competency comes with supervised experience in the field, mentoring and practice. How many people with no hunting background could do a classroom course and remeber it all in the field? The guys I want to go out with say the learning comes once the paperwork is done. I would think the culture that is cultivated in the field does more to create competent hunters than any course in any fashion.

Just my two sense, hope I didn't offend anyone.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM

My son just completed the on-line hunters ed...Scored 100% on the final...It was super easy and worked great. I highly recommend it!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Ok I am new to the site and have been getting info on starting rifle hunting, however I have been bow hunting for years. I think that the hunter training course is great and remember taking it when I was 12 and had a blast. The online idea is good as long as many have said people are not cheating. But here is my problem with the course. I know a couple people now who have gone in to get there win number to start hunting and fishing and simpily jusst marked the box yes saying they have took the course and a couple weeks later bought the licenace and away they went. So I guess what im saying is if people are worried about cheaters maybe there should be a little more done to make sure the people who are saying they took it acctually have.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Great way to get certified!

I am 12. I started the online course the week after Spring Break and finished the course about a week later with a final score of 96%. The certificate was mailed out on April 19 and I received it today (May 4). It was a fun and easy way to get certified!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up

I just wrote this exam and passed with 96%. I wish the exam would tell me what I got wrong.

Overall it was very helpful and I would recommend it to other new hunters, or people moving into Alberta.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 AM

You'll get more responses if you post your question as a New Thread in this forum.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Default I have to say I respectfully disagree with just about everybody here.

I don't see anyone addressing the importance of teaching people to handle guns safely. Maybe someone can learn how to handle a gun and handle it safely without actually handling a gun but I don't believe it. Learning about it online is just another screen-by-screen tutorial for a computer game.

I see a lot of commentary about how it's good to get more people out in the woods and hunting; well, if they go out without proper respect for the damage firearms can do, or if they don't know how to clear a jammed action, then I for one do not want them in the woods.

Not everyone who gains access to hunting privileges through this on-line course will be mentored by a caring and loving grandparent, father or uncle. One good thing about requiring people to take an inconvenient course in a classroom is that it takes them outside their usual comfort zones and puts them face-to-face with serious instructors. Doing so reinforces the seriousness of what they are trying to do: carry a gun.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM

This sticky should be removed. This course is no longer available.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybob View Post
I don't know about that Kaybob.... ...My wife just completed it a couple of weeks ago and aced it....Her only complaint with doing it was how long you had to wait before you could go on and do the next module....She found that very slow and annoying.
Jim
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybob View Post
Looks available to me. Links are on the AHEIA web site.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM

From the 2010 regulations.

"Notice: As of 2010, the Alberta Hunter Competency Exam is no longer offered. Subject to any exceptions noted in this guide, first-time hunters (adult and youth) must successfully complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course."

I read from this that the online exam is no longer available. Maybe its just the challenge exam.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 AM

I completed this course earlier this week and have to say I agree with just about everything that has been posted about it. It is true that you can take the course in person and for free, at the AHEIA, but I just don't have the ability to parcel 2 evenings AND a whole weekend towards the course. I'm sure that a lot of other people are in the same situation and it is a fantastic thing that I was able to take it online and at my convenience. I too found that the minimum times needed for some modules is far too long, but at the same time I do understand that minimum time requirements must be met. As someone who has very little experience with wildlife and no experience hunting, I found the information very relevant and I learned tonnes of stuff. In no way do I believe that I am ready to hunt on my own, or that this course is a substitute for actual field experience, but I am very happy that I have met the legal requrements and have had some basic knowledge provided for me. As to the issue of cheating, if anybody does do that they are only cheating and ultimately messiong themselves up. When they shoot and kill the wrong species of animal they will wish that they hadn't cheated.

Oh and kaybob, all that is saying is as of 2010, a first time hunter has to take the actual course and then write the exam, and that just studying on your own and challenging the exam is no longer acceptable.

Niksa
Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM

how long doe it take for them to mail me the certificate ??
Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 AM

I finished my course on a Thursday or Friday and had my certificate in hand on Monday. I can't say if everyone will have such a quick turn around but that was just my experience.

Niksa

Last edited by NiksaNovovic; 09-26-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling