Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Bounties have been tried and in the end they didn't solve the problem.

And for the record, I don't know a single trapper who objected even though it meant a lot of wolves got killed by hunters instead of trappers.

The uneducated seem to think this can be solved just by getting lazy trappers off their butts.

I don't know anyone who works harder for their money then a trapper, except perhaps a farmer.

But I do know a number of trappers who went to work on the rigs and stayed because it was the easiest money they had ever made.
I was one of them to a degree.

I didn't totally leave trapping, but I did give up full time trapping in exchange for the easy money of the oilfield.

Maybe the solution is to pay trappers the same wages oilfield workers get.
Then everyone would want to be a trapper, and all trappers would be the hardest working guys on the planet.

Hey, I like that plan. Lets make trappers public employees.
Clearly some folks here already think we are public employees.

There could be trappers unions, trappers pension plans, trappers severance packages! Health benefits for trappers, government subsidized housing for trappers.

We could make trappers into wanna be postal workers.

That ought to work.

But before we do that iam offering SG a free tour of our line, and he has to pull his own weight and trap at least one wolf. There's also a 4 mile strech of trail that needs some serious chainsaw work, its all part of the deal.