Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Default Sage Warrenty

Broke the tip off my Sage fly rod the other day and was looking on the web about their return policy. Anyone ever dealt with sending a rod back to sage? Did it go smooth or was it a hassle? Any ideas on expected timelines? I see it needs to be shipped to the states so I don't imagine that it is going to be all that quick. Thanks for any info.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM

i'd call them. see if you pay for same day shipping back. use fedex or a courier and send it asap maybe you could have it back in a two or three business days. But from what i know Sage is good for it.. do you have to send them the whole entire rod?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM

If you know anyone traveling to the states, my advice would be to send it along with them and have them mail it via USPS. $7 - $10 and 2 - 3 days ( to get there) from pretty much any where down there and $30 + up here!

No issues other then time and money.

Yes, you have to send the entire rod in.

Another option is to send it through an authorized dealer but you still have to wait the 4 - 6 weeks but most dedicated fly shops will give you a loaner ( or at least the ones I deal with)!!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 06-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM

I broke the tip off my Sage rod a number of years ago. I phoned Sage and they had me break off a piece of the tip section that connected to the lower half of my rod. I mailed this 6 inch piece and they sent me back a new tip section. I don't think I paid anything. First step would be to call Sage.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Default Warrenty

Contacted sage. It's 35 bucks to send it to them and they charge 50-60 to send it back to you. So close to $100 in shipping before I get the rod back. Or I can take it to the fishing hole north and they can put on a new tip for 5 dollars and I can spend the other 95 on fly tying material!! Plus I get the rod back right away instead of having to wait. I am also assuming that having the rod 3 inches shorter won't make any difference? Hope I am right Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

I had the same thing happen to
Me 3 years ago by the time it was all said and done it cost me close to 90 bucks. Cheaper to go to a local fly shop to have it fixed maybe cost you 20 bucks and you'll be fishing alot faster( if it's just a minor fix)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 PM

just got one back. 30 and change to ship and a $50 charge for return shipping. I only had to send in the tip section (4 piece). Had it back in 3 weeks and seems to be good as new.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 AM

Sent one in on warranty last fall. As others have stated, about $30 CAD to ship it to them, $50 US for the return shipping and it took 4-5 weeks all told.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 AM

Take your rod to Fish Tales and they will do all the work for you. $55 was the cost of my last repair. Great shop, great folk.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Take your rod to Fish Tales and they will do all the work for you. $55 was the cost of my last repair. Great shop, great folk.
100% right I have sent back easily 10 sage tips over the last 5-6 years thru Fish Tales, it's $55 and you'll have your stick back in 3-4 weeks.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
100% right I have sent back easily 10 sage tips over the last 5-6 years thru Fish Tales, it's $55 and you'll have your stick back in 3-4 weeks.
Wow good to know
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM

I should also state that all Sage needs is the model and serial number and the female ferrule of the broken of the broken section.
You can save big on shipping if you just ship the ferrule in an envelop. To remove the ferrule, take a hacksaw, saw the ferrule about 10cm above the end just a bit, then karate chop the ferrule and it will pop right off.

Of the 10-15 Sage breaks ive had in recent memory i can attribute all except for 1 to user caused breaks. Boat rods take a beating.