Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2021, 07:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Every one has a Mikey....let'em go first and then determine what you do from there.....hunt....go third cuz Mikey might have wisend up over time...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2021, 07:57 AM

Default You Know the Old EH

" I'd eat the arse hole out of a dead skunk if I was hungry enough " one would be surprised what you will eat when you get really hungry.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:36 AM

Squirrel is great. The idea of eating a stinky coyote is just gross to me. yuk.

Last summer on a group camping trip my son took out about 5 squirrels with his blow gun. Fun times! We skinned them all up and fried the little legs and covered them in franks. Perfect Hot Wings! Everyone tired one and adults and kids alike all though they were delicious if they could get past the idea of it being a squirrel.

Thinking back, I guess it was mostly the kids and dads who ate them, most of the wives passed. But overall they were a big hit!
Old 02-19-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I'm thinking that any member of the squirrel family is edible.
When you think of it, lots of people eat forest squirrels and there can't be a big difference from them, than in our own Richardson Ground Squirrel (prairie gopher)...as they are all grain/grass fed.....

I have never tried them.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
When you think of it, lots of people eat forest squirrels and there can't be a big difference from them, than in our own Richardson Ground Squirrel (prairie gopher)...as they are all grain/grass fed.....

I have never tried them.
A survival instructor once told us that we can eat what the animals eat. Insects, for example, have more protein pound for pound than a good steak. Beetles, Grasshoppers, locusts, even earthworms, provided you cook those worms and insects to destroy any parasites that they may be carrying. I remember watching a video of a tribesman from some jungle in Africa eat a huge grub he just pulled from a rotting log, raw.. numm numm.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post

I have never tried them.

I can drop a thousand or so off on my way back home from down south this spring if you'd like to give it a go.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Squirrel is great. The idea of eating a stinky coyote is just gross to me. yuk.

Last summer on a group camping trip my son took out about 5 squirrels with his blow gun. Fun times! We skinned them all up and fried the little legs and covered them in franks. Perfect Hot Wings! Everyone tired one and adults and kids alike all though they were delicious if they could get past the idea of it being a squirrel.

Thinking back, I guess it was mostly the kids and dads who ate them, most of the wives passed. But overall they were a big hit!

Anyone have a craving for nuts later?
Old 02-19-2021, 09:29 PM

Cougar 1 (have heard it’s really good!) skunk last. I wouldn’t say never but I’d have to be pretty hungry to try and attempt that.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 PM

I have a thing we're if I hunt it I have to at lest try and eat it once.
My top three are--Squirrel, deer, rabbit
My three I'd never eat again unless starving are,
Gopher as #1, coyote, magpie.
Rattle snake is fabulous used be lots by milk River but haven't hunted those in over 20 yrs. So not on list
Had polar bear once at a wild game dinner. Tasted like sardines, that's a hard pass if I ever get offered it again.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
I have a thing we're if I hunt it I have to at lest try and eat it once.
My top three are--Squirrel, deer, rabbit
My three I'd never eat again unless starving are,
Gopher as #1, coyote, magpie.
Rattle snake is fabulous used be lots by milk River but haven't hunted those in over 20 yrs. So not on list
Had polar bear once at a wild game dinner. Tasted like sardines, that's a hard pass if I ever get offered it again.
I’ve always thought about eating gopher...but damn! They stink....bad.
How did it taste? What didn’t you like about it?
Old 02-20-2021, 05:02 AM

I have not tried gopher but some of the locals have. They had a commercial operation of some type and had hired a cook from another country. When he found out they were going shooting gophers, he asked a few questions. To make a long story short, apparently they tasted ok.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Tasted like meat that had sat out 3 days to long on counter in the heat but you cooked it any ways, cause it's meat. Maybe there is a way to cook it. I think I cooked with onions and peppers fried, as that's my go to. I'm open to try again I quess if some one has a decent way to cook em. Gopher hamburger maybe??
Old 02-21-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I can drop a thousand or so off on my way back home from down south this spring if you'd like to give it a go.
I'll pass as I have no shortage, but I will say, thanks for thinking of me........

After a day of shooting them, I just don't have the energy to walk around and pick them up.....or, its a memory thing.... haha....
Cheers,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:53 AM
Gone Hunting

We are so spoiled in this country.

We turn up our noses at so many edible things.

Some won't touch a Sucker, they are good as any fish.
Some won't touch liver, thankfully. We have several pounds of fresh liver in our freezer thanks to one persons dislike for it.
Some won't eat wild mushroom, fine with me. Leaves more for me.

The list is long and the contents delicious.

People pay premium prices for organic, and they buy spinach to eat after walking right through a patch of Lambs Quarters, because some call it pigweed.
Lambs Quarter is high in iron, it's purely organic, it plentiful and delicious.
Best of all it is all around us, in city lots, in urban gardens, in farmland from Texas to High Level and beyond.

Maybe gophers do stink, and so does a Moose. Or a fish. How about Cabbage, or garlic?

Some say cougars stink, I like the smell. And would eat one if I could find one.
But at my age most cougars think I am too old for them.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Default It depends on how hungry.

My son and I ate ants for a week. They taste a bit like Caesar salad. I lost 25 lbs. in a week and you can eat all you want.
You could see through my teenaged son in a stong light.

I think it just depends on what choices you have.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
My son and I ate ants for a week. They taste a bit like Caesar salad. I lost 25 lbs. in a week and you can eat all you want.

Story??
Old 02-21-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Story? X 2

we gotta hear this one

I have eaten ants (voluntarily) twice: green ants in Australia, they only feed on one plant, taste like lime. Carpenter ant eggs from a pine woodpile in my backyard - tasted like five alive. Can see why bears go to the trouble, if I find them again I won’t even need to be hungry to get em.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Oh All right

We were canoeing on the Nahanni in early June, the opening of the river. Unknown to us, the river was higher than it had been in 100 years. You pay a fee, in advance. I think it was $100 to the park rangers for a possible rescue, they will come 2 days after you are overdue. I had always wanted to see the falls and the river since I was at a lecture by Bill Mason, and for me it was now or never. There were no other people on the river that we could team up with.
The first night we camped on an island in the rive a few miles above the falls, and the water was rising all night.
Day 2 we reached the falls from Rabbit kettle lake and walked down the wooden stairs to the little beach below the most spectacular water fall I've ever seen. You can't scout ahead because you are in a canyon with 1000 foot high, I think, vertical cliffs on both sides. The book by Patterson ominously called "The river that Kills" said to stick to the North side of the river. Son was the captain and his fat father was in the bow, we had a spray skirt, a necessity!
When we came around the first turn, there was a huge pyramid shaped standing wave about 15 feet high, we back paddled to slow us down as much as we could, we were shooting along at over 6 knots. I remember the bow slowly rising up the wave and then the fore deck, disappearing into the wave and then we shot through on to the down side, never found my hat.
Day three was supposed to be easier but my courage was gone, and we agreed to portage when we came to the circle 8 rapids, never saw them, water was so high we just blew through them. At Wrigley creek we stopped to have a look at the water in front of us and agreed to take what looked like the "chicken route", it wasn't we hit a wall, went sideways over a bench and lost the canoe. BUT we were both alive and together. Between us we had 2 jack knives, the kind with the serrated blades and one Bic lighter.
That was enough gear to keep 2 of us alive for a week until the helicopter came looking for us.
I won't won't bore you with details of the 5 days, but I learned a lot more about surviving in a sub artic climate than I ever wanted to know. The secret was not a fire so much, we burned all the wood we could find, but heating rocks and using them to keep us alive.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:50 AM

I’ve eaten quite the variety of game over the years. Will only eat fat fall bears of which I suspect have been eating oats, clover or berries and not scavenging. Nor will I eat anything that sustains itself on meat. Just my rule. Personally found muskrat to be alright, but I didn’t collect nor cook it. Found beaver quite stringy. Love squirrels but don’t get the opportunity often.
Cory