Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2021, 09:52 AM

Default Brno ZH-308 7x65R over 12 Gauge

This gun just showed up for me to start playing with. I also has a set of ported 26" 12 gauge barrels that interchange with the rifle/shotgun barrel set. Just waiting to receive the scope base from Tradex so I can scope it to test the groups.

Found loaded Sellier and Bellot out of Tradex for $40/20 and a flat $20 for shipping no matter how many boxes you order, so about the same price as new brass. I have had excellent results shooting Sellier out of a number of rifles so with 5 boxes coming should be a while before I actually have to reload any. Will be very interested to see how this Brno shoots for group as well as how well the 12 gauge barrel is regulated to the rifle barrel for slugs at 50 and 100 yards.

Also plan to shoot some clays with the ported barrels to see how they behave. The shotgun barrels are much lighter than the rifle combo and makes a nice compact 6.5LB shotgun with them on it. With the rifle/shotgun combo but no scope, it weights about 7.75 LBs. Should make a fun grouse/deer combo.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:42 PM

that is one sweet little combo gun, congrats on your purchase. I keep watching aroud here for something like that but havent seen any yet.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:37 PM

If someone is interested, I have a very similar firearm, Brno ZH 204, with a 7x57R over 12 gauge, second set of 12 gauge barrels. Roughly similar condition to Dean's, but the shotgun barrels are not ported.
7x57R ammo is fairly widely available as is the brass, reloaded with same dies as for conventional 7x57 (also known as 7 Mauser and identical to 275 Rigby). I do have dies and brass that could be worked into deal.
Send me a PM. I am in Calgary
Old 02-21-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If someone is interested, I have a very similar firearm, Brno ZH 204, with a 7x57R over 12 gauge, second set of 12 gauge barrels. Roughly similar condition to Dean's, but the shotgun barrels are not ported.
7x57R ammo is fairly widely available as is the brass, reloaded with same dies as for conventional 7x57 (also known as 7 Mauser and identical to 275 Rigby). I do have dies and brass that could be worked into deal.
Send me a PM. I am in Calgary

That would make a great combo gun and the 7x57R is quite a lot easier to find ammo and brass for, plus you save because it uses the inexpensive 7x57 standard dies. I am going to be interested to see if the ported barrels, designed for skeet shooting and upland game, are louder than standard ones. These Brnos are a really well made and robust Combo gun.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:22 PM

Either one of those are a nice combo setup. If you wanted RWS brass, I expect CSC has some ammo there, maybe some brass still, likely not cheap, but, what is these days.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM
Banned

I think i saw 6-8 boxes of norma rimmed ammo, not sure if it was 7x57r or 7x65r on "surplus" table at CSC as well as 7mm blaser brass. Prices were very reasonable. Might be worthy calling them.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I think i saw 6-8 boxes of norma rimmed ammo, not sure if it was 7x57r or 7x65r on "surplus" table at CSC as well as 7mm blaser brass. Prices were very reasonable. Might be worthy calling them.

Thanks for the info. Norma makes very good ammo. If I hadn't already ordered 5 boxes of Sellier and Bellot from Tradex I would definitely be giving them a call.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:11 PM

The slip on scope mount showed up from Tradex. Looks very similar to the one in the picture I posted with the scope mounted. They are made by a Czech company called Kozap, or it is a copy of theirs, and at $125 Tradex is literally half the price of the same mount most other places. Goes on slick as heck with just a small Allan wrench to tighten it in place. Tricky part is to get the scope set far enough back for good eye relief. You want a scope with a min of 3.5" of eye relief and at least 9", better yet 10", from the front bell tube junction to the back of the ocular eye piece. Most Swaro and Zeiss scopes do that easily, north American built scopes tend to be on the tight side for fit. The picture shows what I mean about Leupold being a tight fit as it would be better another inch closer to the shooter. Since I sold off a whole raft of my spare scopes I am going to have to go looking for the right scope for this specific mounting challenge.

Mount came in the same box as the ammo, so 5 boxes of ammo and the mount for 20 bucks all in for shipping. Sure can't kick about Tadex's shipping charges either. Has been a great place to buy unusual stuff for decades.