Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Something else I've taken on my last couple trips is the XXL Ziplock bags to place the meat and cape in. They seal up tight so you can put them in a creek to cool. Just have to squeeze all the air out.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx
Old 01-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Love this thread guys some amazing info. I'm currently working on gathering all my gear having a tough time deciding what out cloths to go with for warmth I don’t want to hike with any bulky cloths. we will be heading in the 4s sept 16 for 10 days. It’s a tossup between kuiu and Sitka any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM

After last season and getting 2' of snow on the mnt night before opener I wont go with a down jacket! As far as kuiu vs Sitka. Both awesome gear, I have both and if I had to pick I would go with kuiu. I like the guide jacket more cause it covers the bottom of your back better. I like the cut of there clothing and the rain gear is just as good as the gortex. As for thermal wear I really like kuius marino wool. I use it nearly every day for work and hunting. Time you get it here it's not cheap tho. However the optifade camo can't be beat for blending in, which to me is not as important with sheep.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 PM

Older thread, but still very relevant.

Can you guys please comment on my list. Give me suggestions and tell me if there is anything I am missing or should omit. Please tell me if you see anything that can result in big weight savings for little money.

Tent: MEC Tarn 2 - 6 lbs
SB: MEC Aquila down -7 and MEC GO down pillow - 3 lbs 5 oz
Pad: Thermarest Prolite - 17 oz
Cooking: Jet boil zip, 2 fuel cans, mug and titanium spork - 1 lb 13.5 oz
MSR water filter -1 lb 2.5 oz
Rifle: Rem 700 7mm-08 w/ Leupold scope - 7 lbs 1 oz
6 rounds of ammo - 4.8 oz
Pack: don't have a big one yet. Thinking a Osprey Xenith 105L at 5 lbs 11 oz. Hunting specific packs all seem heavier and way more expensive.
Spotter: Redfield 20-60×60 - 2 lbs 4 oz
Tripod: Manfrotto - 5 lbs (definitely need a lighter tripod, thinking Vortex summit, yay or nay?)
RF: Leupold RX-1000i - 9.4 oz
Binos: Redhead Epic - 1lb 4 oz
Knife: Buck Vantage Pro
Rope: 2.2 oz
FA Kit and spare headlamp/GPS batteries - 8.3 oz
2 Vaseline smeared cotton balls and 10 matches in waterproof tube: 0.7 oz
2 lighters and compass: 3.7 oz
Petzl headlamp: 2.8 oz
GPS: 5.7 oz
Game bags: 7.9 oz
Map 1.9oz
Bug spray
Sleeping pad repair kit
Glasses, sunglasses
TP and baby wipes
Deoderant
Adil, tums
Electrical tape
Crocs
Camera
E-reader
Tags
Bear spray
Salt to be cached on scouting trip
2L H20
Food (Mountain house, oatmeal, cliff bars, GORP, beef jerry, fruit bars, Nescafe 3 in 1, herbal tea)
Clothes ( Merino base layer, 2 pair liner socks, 2 pair wool socks, insulated or non insulated mountain hardware pants depending on season, underwear, fleece or down mid layer, goretex shell, HH touqe and gloves.)
Zamberlan Boots
Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post

Can you guys please comment on my list. Give me suggestions and tell me if there is anything I am missing or should omit. Please tell me if you see anything that can result in big weight savings for little money.

Pack: don't have a big one yet. Thinking a Osprey Xenith 105L at 5 lbs 11 oz. Hunting specific packs all seem heavier and way more expensive.
Tripod: Manfrotto - 5 lbs (definitely need a lighter tripod, thinking Vortex summit, yay or nay?)
Map 1.9oz
Bug spray
Sleeping pad repair kit
Glasses, sunglasses
TP and baby wipes
Deoderant
Adil, tums
Electrical tape
Crocs
Camera
E-reader
Tags
Bear spray
2L H20
Food (Mountain house, oatmeal, cliff bars, GORP, beef jerry, fruit bars, Nescafe 3 in 1, herbal tea)
Clothes ( Merino base layer, 2 pair liner socks, 2 pair wool socks, insulated or non insulated mountain hardware pants depending on season, underwear, fleece or down mid layer, goretex shell, HH touqe and gloves.)
Zamberlan Boots
I would leave out the E reader, deodorant, and pillow for sure. For a pillow I just shove any clothes I'm not wearing into the stuff sack of my sleeping bag. also maybe look at a new tent, that thing is heavy! And same with your tripod. I would look at Siriu tripods, as well as the vortex.
Also, if your looking at a pack I think the kuiu is around 3.5 lbs. They are more expensive but sometimes the non hunting packs don't offer a real good system for packing a gun or large pockets for your spotting scope. Just a couple things to think about

Edit : for instant drinks the Starbucks Via is pretty good if coffee is your thing
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM

sillyyak ditch the bear spray, e reader (whatever that is), find a lighter tripod, buy or bum some better glass and a spot me, chuck in a toothbrush and floss, ditch the cotton ball things and graba ziplock full of birch bark. Good to go. have a great hunt and ditch the pillow haha
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM

sillyyak minimum weight on the tarn 2 is 4lb 6oz. If you are packing the pegs you can ditch those with that tent. Consider adding a silitarp w small paracord to your gear list.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
sillyyak ditch the bear spray, e reader (whatever that is), find a lighter tripod, buy or bum some better glass and a spot me, chuck in a toothbrush and floss, ditch the cotton ball things and graba ziplock full of birch bark. Good to go. have a great hunt and ditch the pillow haha
I always used to put clothes in a stuff sack, but it's only 4 oz for the pillow and oh so much better!!

Definitely need a lighter tripod.

E-reader is a kobo mini. I'll weigh it later but I doubt it weighs more than 3 oz. It's to pass time if your stuck in a tent or don't want to sleep right away at night. 1000 books for 3 ounces.

toothbrush is something I forgot

Cottonballs soaked in Vaseline light very easy, stay lit for a long time, take up very little room and weigh very little. I've always had two and some matches in a small water proof tube as an emergency fire source.

Definitely need better glass. Spotter especially.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 PM

Greatest backpack tripod ever http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...FYKVfgod0KMA0A. Remove the center riser and drop a couple more oz. Add a rock bag and it is stable as can be even with a big scope like the Swarovskis.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
sillyyak minimum weight on the tarn 2 is 4lb 6oz. If you are packing the pegs you can ditch those with that tent. Consider adding a silitarp w small paracord to your gear list.
I did weigh it with pegs. My "rope" is paracord. A sil tarp is a good idea for an unplanned bivy.

Thanks for the feedback! Helpful indeed
Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
I would leave out the E reader, deodorant, and pillow for sure. For a pillow I just shove any clothes I'm not wearing into the stuff sack of my sleeping bag. also maybe look at a new tent, that thing is heavy! And same with your tripod. I would look at Siriu tripods, as well as the vortex.
Also, if your looking at a pack I think the kuiu is around 3.5 lbs. They are more expensive but sometimes the non hunting packs don't offer a real good system for packing a gun or large pockets for your spotting scope. Just a couple things to think about

Edit : for instant drinks the Starbucks Via is pretty good if coffee is your thing
Thanks for the feedback!

I drink those Nescafe 3 in 1. I actually really like them, although they don't even really taste like coffee. I'll have to try the Starbucks ones.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 PM

sillyak also consider chucking in a light compressible down jacket or vest. It doesn't weigh hardly anything and makes a world of difference in cool conditions.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
Greatest backpack tripod ever http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...FYKVfgod0KMA0A. Remove the center riser and drop a couple more oz. Add a rock bag and it is stable as can be even with a big scope like the Swarovskis.
Looks good!

Quote:
sillyak also consider chucking in a light compressible down jacket or vest. It doesn't weigh hardly anything and makes a world of difference in cool conditions.
Just got a down jacket suitable as a mid layer. The weight and bulk is certainly nicer than fleece. Going to try it on a scouting trip next week.

As for bear spray I only carry it scouting when I don't take a rifle. It's a one or the other thing for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:14 PM

New to me, not yet tested with use, Stone Glacier sky 7400 with meat bag, might need to sell my Mystery Ranch 6500 in optifade pack now
Old 05-29-2015, 03:52 AM

Sillyak - I don't carry a water filter and never have. In 20 years of hiking, climbing and hunting the mountains I've never been sick. I'm selective about where I get my water from and still pack a few lightweight treatment tabs just in case I'm not excited about the water. Most years I don't use any of them.

Also, vaseline cottonballs are potential lifesavers - try using a striker instead of matches tho. Far more starts and works when it's wet.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:35 AM

Default Tent

Definitely buy a new tent. MSR makes a few decent ones under 3lbs. The pillow also get rid of.

Bi-pod-Take a look at the slik carbon series, best price is bhp out of new york.

Sky 7400 is a good choice for a lightweight(high capacity pack) I also just picked one up in January and love it. Only had 55 lbs in it but it was great. Only thing I don't like is limited pockets.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM

Default great thread

This is a great thread for a guy like myself who desperately wants to get into sheep hunting but has no one to go with or teach me the ropes. I have no problem getting out there on my own and making my way but reading this makes it a little less overwhelming. Thanks
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 AM

More accurate tent weight is 4 lbs 11.7 oz. I had the pegs and a big stack of fly patching material in my 6 lbs figure.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Sheep Gear List

Sillyak - is your list for a solo hunt or with a buddy?
If solo you can get a cheap one man tent (north face storm front $160) that is durable and 3.5 #.
Your sleeping bag is heavy.
Silk compact tripod is 1#6oz $40, but not for 80mm spotters. I use a 65 razor and it's great. The summit weights under 2# and is better for bigger glass
Get better glass if possible.
Leave water filter.
Bring the bear spray and more ammo.
Light weight dry bag or heavy gbag for meat.
Havalon knife, pliers small
A tarp is useful. I use siltarp 1, before that $4 6x8 weighs 15 oz.
Backup headlamp I have this tiny pretzel 1oz.
Your pack choice is good. You will need the volume.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Banned

i think we should sticky this
Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM

A SPOT or equivalent device is a must have.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
A SPOT or equivalent device is a must have.
Who has the best price on a spot, or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:27 PM

I think they are pretty much the same unless you get one of those Cabelas coupons spend $150 and save $20. Never seen them on sale. Annual service plan of $150 US after you buy the unit.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
This is a great thread for a guy like myself who desperately wants to get into sheep hunting but has no one to go with or teach me the ropes. I have no problem getting out there on my own and making my way but reading this makes it a little less overwhelming. Thanks
Gear is important but the most important gear is between your ears. That comes from mileage. Get out for day hikes, scrambles and easy overnights. Learn to move in the mountains and always be thinking about your body - think about rest, hydration, food and weather often. Make a plan and be willing to change it when conditions change.

You'll be amazed at what's possible. All the best out there!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i think we should sticky this
x2
This thread has been really helpful. A lot of exceptional tips.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
You are more than welcome to join me in willmore in july.
Not hunting, doing a little backpacking and scouting. 5 day trip or so.
Havent managed to close the 75 yard gap, so i have been unsuccessful thus far.
Might get you a little more familiar with the country, you will really learn what you do and dont need.
Might also find some good sheep areas...

Edit: i have used a heat seat as a pillow. The waterproof 15$ things from canadian tire.
Switched to a hammock for backpacking trips now, wont need a pillow.
Can pitch it anywhere with trees, packs down to the size of a pepsi king can.
Weighs a pound, paired with a silinylon tarp. 2 pound shelter.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post

Map 1.9oz
Bug spray
Sleeping pad repair kit
Glasses, sunglasses
TP and baby wipes
Deoderant
Adil, tums
Electrical tape
Crocs
Camera
E-reader
Tags
Bear spray
2L H20
Zamberlan Boots
Solid list...if you want to bring the extras guys have suggested taking out, just go to the gym and get a little stronger/faster before the season....cause if you can't handle an extra 5lbs how the heck are you gonna handle a dead sheep lol!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 PM

Cooking systems: open style like Pocket Rocket and a pot, or closed like the Jetboil. Which do you prefer and why?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Open style

Soto micro regulator, snow peaks pot
Smaller, lighter, more compack

✌️
Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Open style

Soto micro regulator, snow peaks pot
Smaller, lighter, more compack

✌️
What are all the pro's for a soto micro over a rocket - lighter weight, built in ignition and also a regulator? Does it run off the same msr fuel canisters and boil just as fast?

Another question for you here too, ever had any issue with the fuel separation and burn time? Would an inverted canister style burner help this? Came across this in doing some reading, just wondering if this is really an issue?