Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Pack comparison

I have narrowed my search down to kuiu or stone glacier for my back country bag. Usually hunt days with some one and two night trips in there. Was thinking something around a 5500 for size as I had an exo k2 and liked the size of the bag. I like the fit of both however I like the SG slightly more. So what’s everyone’s opinion? Who has ran these bags before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWODM3 View Post
I have narrowed my search down to kuiu or stone glacier for my back country bag. Usually hunt days with some one and two night trips in there. Was thinking something around a 5500 for size as I had an exo k2 and liked the size of the bag. I like the fit of both however I like the SG slightly more. So what’s everyone’s opinion? Who has ran these bags before?

Did you not like the Exo?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Did you not like the Exo?

Slid down on my ass haha. Could get it so tight that I’d lose circulation in my legs but my frame and back wouldn’t mesh right. Tried it for two years and adjusted any and everything. Just couldn’t fix it. The k3 might be better with the adjustment in the lumbar pad and different waist straps. Liked the bag enough just wasn’t right in my eyes.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:45 AM

I’m familiar with both. I’d, hands down, get the Stone Glacier.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-23-2021, 11:11 AM

SG for sure.

Consider Exo as well
Old 02-23-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’m familiar with both. I’d, hands down, get the Stone Glacier.
X2
I have had both as well...
Old 02-23-2021, 12:02 PM

Eberlestock kite pack. As stand alone or with main frame is my go to.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:09 PM

Since you're into the $1000-ish price point, I'd prioritize trying on something before you buy it. I'm speculating, but the issues you had with your Exo sound like you bought that without doing so? I'm simply pointing out that at this pricepoint you should expect to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. Do whatever you can to get one of these on your back first.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Since you're into the $1000-ish price point, I'd prioritize trying on something before you buy it. I'm speculating, but the issues you had with your Exo sound like you bought that without doing so? I'm simply pointing out that at this pricepoint you should expect to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. Do whatever you can to get one of these on your back first.

Yea I have tried on both the Sg and the kuiu now. Liked both of them. Felt like the sg was a little big nicer fitting but for the price the kuiu is very close behind. The exo was definitely not test fitted before purchasing. I liked it but had it slip when packing weight.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
Eberlestock kite pack. As stand alone or with main frame is my go to.
Eberlestock isn’t even in the same league as the ones he’s considering.

To give some useful input though, I Really like my Kuiu, it is the 7200 model, carries weight really well, and I’ve had some loads in it that were pushing #150. The only thing I don’t like is that being a taller guy, the load lifter straps are a little flat. Not sure if you looked into them at all, but I just got a new kifaru that I’m quite liking.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:46 PM

Get onto youtube and search pack comparisons. A bunch of good videos comparing all the big name packs
Old 02-23-2021, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post

To give some useful input though, I Really like my Kuiu, it is the 7200 model, carries weight really well, and I’ve had some loads in it that were pushing #150. The only thing I don’t like is that being a taller guy, the load lifter straps are a little flat. Not sure if you looked into them at all, but I just got a new kifaru that I’m quite liking.
i dunno, i haven't tried a pack that made a pack out feel good yet, i've tried some that hurt more than others that's about it, the most expensive pack i tried so far was a 'hunter specific brand like many mentioned here' and it hurt me the most so there's that

i'm gonna run a mainframe for a little while and see how that goes under weight, won't know until next season what that may be like, regular gear it's very nice so far using it on all day coyote hunts, as most packs are, i'm not getting impression it will hurt me under weight, so while i can't fully say one way or another on the mainframe loaded yet i will suggest maybe don't throw this off your list yet

i know a 'just one' with a whole ewe in it hurt me somewhat and a kifaru with same is what really killed me, a 280 dollar osprey xenith 88 packed a ewe out better than both of them, you'd do well with an arcterx bora also (the osprey just the working mans version cost wise imo)

having this small mainframe that's not a giant tank feels like it might be a hot ticket so far for the odd pack out when needed, running bat wings on mine and will use a waterproof stuff sack in the middle for the multi-day pack in events, they make two lengths of the main frame, for regular and longer torso peeps, wouldn't rule the mainframe out just yet, i feel like it might be in a different league than most of the eberlestock stuff we have been accustomed to already, i've had a few of their packs, still have an x1 kicking around, not a bad day pack gun/bow but not versatile enough to haul anything with so it's pretty much shelved, the mainframe is just as sweet as a day pack, so long as it doesn't kill me like the kifaru did with a load (which sounds like what happened to the op with the exo) then will be a good workhorse do all set up

i've become leary of the 'hunt specific' packs, the backpacking world has some pretty nice choices also, arcteryx/osprey 80-105 liter stuff with great reputations, even in hunting circles, i'm tired of the saggy squishy stuff so looking forward to a trim real frame to cinch everything up to that feels like a daypack when dayhunting etc.

everything else eberlestock then i would agree, they are well built and tough and of course a little heavier than they need to be because of that, they have one last chance with me with this mainframe
Old 02-23-2021, 05:13 PM

A heavy pack is never going to feel good, at least until you get to take it off. But a well fitting quality pack can be the difference between hunting the next day or being laid up with blisters, hot spots, etc. Having seams or buckles let go can ruin your day pretty quickly as well.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 PM

Rokslide has a pretty good pack showdown.
But they narrow it down to SG & Kuiu lol.
So not much more than you already know.
I run the Kuiu pro system with 7800, 4000 & 1800 bags.
Very happy with this set up.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Eberle can't even design decent loadlifters into their packs.

And it looks like the 'Mainframe' weighs almost 4.5 pounds bare? Way too heavy when you consider there are options that carry weight better, and are almost 2 pounds lighter.

OP, I like the pack I've been using for the last 5-6 years. But if I were to make a switch, I'd go SG.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:17 AM

I personally know of a multiple Kuiu's that have failed in the field (frame snapped). Of course any pack can fail, but that would be a turn off for me from their packs. That being said I do love the other gear Kuiu makes.

I currently run a Stone Glacier although I personally prefer Kifaru slightly more.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:43 AM

Kifaru = Bombproof + Heavyweight Comfort!! Money well spent!!
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM

I have kuiu 7200. Never had any issues and I’ve packed out 15 plus elk or moose with it. Also have done ten day back pack trips with it. I like mine but I don’t have much experience with many other packs.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 PM
Banned

My kuiu pack squeaked all the time
Was annoying
Other than that it was a good pack

Changed to a stone glacier and couldn’t be happier

Mystery ranch was good but heavy

Eberlestock was below the old old Sitka gear packs I had
Old 02-25-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
My kuiu pack squeaked all the time
Was annoying
Other than that it was a good pack

Changed to a stone glacier and couldn’t be happier

Mystery ranch was good but heavy

Eberlestock was below the old old Sitka gear packs I had
Funny you mention this. My Kuiu pro Bino harness squeaks quite a bit too. Must the way they make their strap connections.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:31 AM

Ive used Mystery Ranch and now Kifaru and really like the Kifaru. Just swapped out to their ultralight frame and I like it so far. Adjusts well to me.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Funny you mention this. My Kuiu pro Bino harness squeaks quite a bit too. Must the way they make their strap connections.
My kuiu pack squeaked. I narrowed it down to dust, debris getting between the exposed carbon frame and the articulating hip belt. The way the carbon frame was shaped it would amplify the sound like a guitar. I cleaned it, tried adding graphite, each time the sqeak would disappear for a few days then start up again.

I have an older kuiu bino harness, not the pro, but no squeak in that one.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 AM

My Kuiu pack had the squeak as well, took the frame out and put a wrap of hockey tape over the whole thing, hasn’t made a sound since.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
My Kuiu pack had the squeak as well, took the frame out and put a wrap of hockey tape over the whole thing, hasn’t made a sound since.
A little late for me, but definitely good to know, I never did try that.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:36 PM

I own two Kuiu packs. I would go SG.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 PM

I am quite happy with my Kuiu packs. Have packed some decent weight with no issues. Do not have experience with SG but I think they are both great systems. Don’t think you could go wrong either way. I don’t think I have ever seen SG site put packs on sale though like Kuiu does once in a while.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:33 AM

I've ran a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 for the last three years and I just won a SG Sky 5900 in a raffle this year. I've only used the SG a handful of times when going out for coyotes but here are my thoughts between the two:

The stone glacier seems to be more comfortable. I really like the way it fits me and the way it compresses down is very impressive. It lacks a lot of pockets which makes organizing everything much more difficult. My Kuiu has pockets all over the place which I love so I can keep every 'system' in a different pocket so I know where everything is at all times. You can purchase swing out pockets and spotter pockets for the side though if you wanted. The Kuiu lid is much bigger and has two separate compartments so I can fit more in there, I typically use the lid for high use items or items I will need quickly (that day's food, rain gear, ammo, etc.)

Can't go wrong with either but I'm gonna run the SG this year and see which I end up going with.

It probably comes down to organization vs comfort.

Good luck I imagine you'll be happy either way you end up going.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:52 PM

This might be a long shot, but I am looking for a Used Stone glacier bag and frame not picky but dont want to break the bank either, I cant post in the classifieds yet thats why im posting here. thanks
Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 AM

Default SG

I run a SG Sky Talus 6900 for 5-9 day sheep hunts. Love the pack. A bear had chewed the lumbar pad and I emailed SG about buying a new one the only question they asked was what my address was and sent me a new one for free. Excellent customer service. I will never buy a pack from another brand.... except maybe kifaru
Old 03-06-2021, 11:56 AM

I like the idea of the kifaru. However I have tried on the SG 5900 and I like it. But I am also thinking about the talus 6900. I like the idea of both. I’d use it most times as a day or overnight bag. Kind of a weekend pack. Once and a while I’d like to use it as a week long bag but not sure if it’ll make the cut for size wise.