Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Bear bait trickle/roller barrel

Hello

I'm planning on running a trickle/roller barrel this year. What have you guys found success with? I'm trying to figure out how to construct mine to be the most effective.

I'm thinking about 5-7 feet of slack and two or three one inch holes in the barrel. I'm not sure how to attach the chain to the barrel. I've heard that lots of guys will put a bar on the inside of the barrel and secure the bar to chain/wire, what would be the best way to attach to the bar? Is there something you've used that works better?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2021, 11:47 AM

drill holes and feed chain right through barrel and attach back to itself, chain around tree and attach back to itself. 4 holes big enough for a piece of popcorn to fall out then get to popping
Old 02-27-2021, 03:09 PM

Yup about 5 feet of chain is good and i just drilled a couple holes to run chain through and bolt to itself with a couple bolts. And i just put two holes at bottom a little bit bigger than popcorn kernels that way they have to work at it and they are not just free feeding. I also would put a couple doughnuts in the barrel so if for some reason you let it get low or dry before you got up again it would keep there interest.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:27 PM

We run 1 single hole in our popcorn barrel and oats/grease barrel. 2” was plenty, actually wish it was a touch smaller. Can always add another hole or make bigger.

Use a chain with slack they can roll the barrel around. It often takes our bears around a week to empty the 45gal drums.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:36 PM

Don't overthink it.
People got through WAY more work then is needed.