Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Banned

Default Barrel bulge??

While cleaning the wife's (new to her) .50 cal TC Hawken, I discovered a small area where the cleaning jag and patch seem to slide easier for about 1/2"approx 7" up from the nipple. I'm guessing that the previous owner must have "two balled" a load or didn't seat the ball firmly onto his powder charge. Her barrel is 28" long. will this bulge have any effect on shooting? And more importantly, is it safe?
Old 02-28-2021, 09:53 PM

Can you measure the bulge on the outside with a vernier? If not , I would not worry too much but I would try and find a load where the ball seats ahead of that area .
Cat
Old 02-28-2021, 11:10 PM

Cat is correct as usual, if you can't feel it on the outside it is nothing to worry about. Lots of BP barrels have loose spots just from being built. If you can feel it on the outside, cut the barrel off, re-thread, re-install breech plug and go from there.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cat is correct as usual, if you can't feel it on the outside it is nothing to worry about. Lots of BP barrels have loose spots just from being built. If you can feel it on the outside, cut the barrel off, re-thread, re-install breech plug and go from there.
I see no external deformation of the barrel at that location, As you mentioned Dean2, maybe its a manufacturing defect when the barrel rifling was cut? I told my better half that I'll test the barrel out at 80 gns of 777 with a round ball or a minie ball before she takes it.