Old 03-23-2023, 07:40 PM

Why does it have to be Williams?

They work but definitely not my go to choice for lake trout spoons
Old 03-23-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Why does it have to be Williams?

They work but definitely not my go to choice for lake trout spoons
No real reason other than I prefer Canadian made lures being like Williams and Len Thompson. Have a fair number of LT and was looking to increase my Williams stock. I’m weird like that.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
No real reason other than I prefer Canadian made lures being like Williams and Len Thompson. Have a fair number of LT and was looking to increase my Williams stock. I’m weird like that.
Fair enough

I have caught lakers on all models of Williams. Color wise when it comes to lakers do some research on the effects water depth has on color. Blue, silver, gold, purple, green, chartreuse, yellow, and white in patterns with contrast so they flicker.

My go to patterns pure white, blue/silver, chartreuse contrasted with a dark color or silver/gold or white, and frog style patterns. Different lakes and depths play a roll in my choices. Not my only choices but definitely go to’s

I would also recommend adding the Gibbs fst spoon and blue fox matrix

But really I have caught lakers on a ton of different lures and colors
Old 03-23-2023, 09:01 PM

Haven’t fished for lakers but have caught multiple species in multiple lakes and rivers with the dimple gold Williams
Old 03-23-2023, 09:04 PM

I am reminded of a Pro Tip I once saw on this very subject in an old Field and Stream article... " If the silver one doesnt work... try the gold one!"

My favorite Williams for any number of species: 60 size silver Wabler, replace the treble with a 3/0 siwash, thread on a white 3" Mr Twister. Its best that the jig tail curl the same way as the hook (towards the cocave side), or the lure will sometimes spin, use a little superglue to hold it in place. This color combo shows up well in almost any water conditions without being overly gaudy and unnatural, and is one of my main go-to lures.

Another great Canadian spoon I've discovered are the Deadly Dick spoons, but in much larger sizes than we typically see in AB. I like the regular model in 1 and 2 oz sizes, and the long model in #2 and #3. The long models in particular are impressively versatile, and work equally well jigged deep or cast and retrieved. Havnt used them for Lakers yet though.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-23-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:14 PM

A Williams is a FANTASTIC Laker lure and often out fishes anything else being trolled. It has a very unique wobble, very different compared to a Len Thompson.

And, depending on speed, depth, mood of fish, it can be a Len Thompson day, or a Williams day or even a Coyote day depending on the mood of the Lakers.

Silver, Silver Blue, 5 of Diamonds, Gold Silver 50/50 are my favorites.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:14 PM

Another good color, a little harder to find sometimes, is copper. I've got a couple copper Wablers, dont use them as much as silver/ gold, but when they're hot they are hot.