Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I like to hang deer a week.
Us too. We general get something( moose or deer) on a weekend so the next weekend is cut up day.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 AM

This is what I was told... by someone much smarter than me.

The ageing of meat requires the acidification of interstitial fat between muscle fibers which then tenderizes the meat. Highly marbled animals are those which do best with aging. Cattle have even been selected to increase that marbling. Wild game put most of the their fat on surface to provide insulation as opposed to storing fat between muscle fibers.
Therefor they do no go through that acidification process.

As such, I butcher when convenient.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
we had to debone half a cow moose and the half we deboned was noticeably tougher from not hanging . Any suggestions as to what to do in this case ? leave the loins on bone ?
I have a cooler as well however it is rare that I cut full quarters as I hunt where packing out bone in quarters is not much on an option.
I "drumstick" quarter my large game like elk or moose (remove the hinds from the pelvis and seam out the fronts remove the loins from the bone and remove all other "trim" neck, rib meat. ect into game bags) when I get home I will hang the quarters and remove game bags then vacuum seal the loins using vacuum sealer rolls that you cut to length I will then put the vacuum sealed loins in the cooler to "wet age" on a rack as long as I age the quarters. You can vacuum seal the trim but I find this pointless as it gets ground anyway and try and process the trim ASAP as I find trim hard to store/hang and it sours if left in a game bag too long.

If you are looking for vacuum sealer rolls Cabela's has two sizes 11" wide and 15 inch wide if your sealer can handle the 15 inch they are best for loins from larger moose and the 11 inch work great for elk or smaller moose loins.

For someone interested in "aging" their meat but don't have a cooler vacuum sealing a deer hind quarter or steak and roast cuts then in your fridge might be an option. The biggest issue why you cant age meat in a fridge without a vacuum bag is moisture and air that's where things will start to get funky. So for instance putting a quarter on some sort of tray in your fridge will result in moisture accumulation where the meat and tray touch which will result in some souring in sort order.

I have dry aged beef in my extra fridge for 49 days a few times now and it has worked fantastic but this requires it rack to allow airflow, a fan, a tray of salt below the rack to remove moisture and you must start with a clean and sanitary fridge and not have any outside food contaminants or smell.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 PM

21 days just like beef and at 10 to 13 degrees Celsius and you will have fall of the bone tender. And the little white spots go great with steak sauce. Just kidding. Rule of thumb is the less fat on meat the less hang time. Anymore the 3 is a waste. And Moose very little fat can be done once you get it home.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Had. Oh and went through the various trial and error of big game prep...I basically now debone, gutless method, cut and get to butchers within a few days and have not noticed a difference in quality other than how you get it from the field to home and handle/prep it....leaves/hair/fat/sinew not removed makes for some questionable table fare

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2018, 04:37 PM

Just finished butchering my Mule Deer. It hung for 2 weeks in the shed and the conditions were perfect this year. Depending on the weather, some years only 1 week, some years you have to quarter right away and age in the fridge when it is too warm to hang. Aging is always preferable to not aging. This shouldn't even be a debate. However, if you grind everything up or turn everything into sausage it doesn't require aging. On the other hand if you run the whole frigging thing through the band saw and then wrap your "venison steaks" in freezer paper and no one likes your venison except the dog then this is all lost on you. Just saying.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk View Post

The ageing of meat requires the acidification of interstitial fat between muscle fibers which then tenderizes the meat. Highly marbled animals are those which do best with aging. Cattle have even been selected to increase that marbling. Wild game put most of the their fat on surface to provide insulation as opposed to storing fat between muscle fibers.

This is the correct answer, wild game does not have fat marbled through the meat like a beef, aging wild game has very little value.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This is simply not correct.

As with beef, wild game also experiences rigor mortis, and goes through the same enzymatic process.

Ungulates and beef need at least 48-72 hours before the muscle relax out of rigor mortis.

After that, the aging process is more about controlled rotting.

For sure deer butchered before 72 hours may taste great. However it is an absolute that the meat Will be Much more tender if it has a chance to release from rigor mortis first.
This and... it’s a lot easier to cut the meat once it’s “firmed up”.
Hide off asap, hang 2-3 days is my routine.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
This is the correct answer, wild game does not have fat marbled through the meat like a beef, aging wild game has very little value.
I disagree, but I don’t eat your meat and you don’t eat mine. Do whatever makes you happy.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-24-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I don't bother hanging deer at all anymore. Hanging may tenderize it a bit more but the way you clean, prepare and cook your deer will effect the taste much more than a bit of hanging time.
X2
Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:

It has become SOME what a science. Every now and then Mother Nature throws a curve??

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...09174013001666

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
It has become SOME what a science. Every now and then Mother Nature throws a curve??

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...09174013001666
Soooo, what do you butchers do with your wild game- deer in particular?
Cat
Old 11-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Meat cutters hate it whe you call them butchers. 😊
Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
More vice versa

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Cat I'll PM you when I have more time.. Busy season now.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Danged near every meat cutter I know is a butcher as well .
Cat
Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I disagree, but I don’t eat your meat and you don’t eat mine. Do whatever makes you happy.

LC
x2.. The system(s) I use hunting many may disagree with, but I haven't had a bad deer (knock on wood) yet by doing it the way I do..
Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 PM

In my experiences.. the best table fare has always been animals that were aged the longest... noticeably better in both flavor and tenderness. Regardless of species.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM

I have proven to myself and friends that hanging helps. Ten to 12 days for an elk (in a proper meat cooler) and five to ten days for a deer, depending on the date shot. I hang deer with hide on if possible because it will lose at least a pound a day in moisture if not and then the thick skin formed would have to be trimmed resulting in more loss. I have hung moose for over 20 days and it's always better.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 AM

I always find it funny that many off the people that do not hang their deer for very long are also the people that end up making sausage out of most of their meet. I like shooting a deer with a nice rack as much as the next guy, but for me the real pay off is when I put my venison in front of people and they tell me it is the best they have ever eaten. Many people tell me they can't believe it is venison it is so tender and has zero gamey taste.
I hang my deer 21-28 days and then remove the dry out layer and de-bone everything. From the second I pull the trigger I make sure I treat the animal like it is something I will be putting on my plate sometime.
Too many hunters treat the meat as a bi-product of getting some antlers when it should be the other way around. Hunting is about feeding people, killing is about taking trophies.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post
I always find it funny that many off the people that do not hang their deer for very long are also the people that end up making sausage out of most of their meet. I like shooting a deer with a nice rack as much as the next guy, but for me the real pay off is when I put my venison in front of people and they tell me it is the best they have ever eaten. Many people tell me they can't believe it is venison it is so tender and has zero gamey taste.
I hang my deer 21-28 days and then remove the dry out layer and de-bone everything. From the second I pull the trigger I make sure I treat the animal like it is something I will be putting on my plate sometime.
Too many hunters treat the meat as a bi-product of getting some antlers when it should be the other way around. Hunting is about feeding people, killing is about taking trophies.
Sounds like logic to me.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post

Like fine wine, cheese or beer. Some things need time to make them Better.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-29-2018, 01:15 PM

Never had sausage made before...but I am sure it's good.

I will admit to grinding a fair bit for burger, spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, and whatever else you can think of.
Roasts are popular here too.

Maybe I will let my next buck hang for a while. I am not opposed to some experimenting

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Never had sausage made before...but I am sure it's good.

I will admit to grinding a fair bit for burger, spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, and whatever else you can think of.
Roasts are popular here too.

Maybe I will let my next buck hang for a while. I am not opposed to some experimenting

Here is something you or anyone else can try - hang half and butcher the other half and compare the same animal.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM

I Have had the best results with 1 week
Old 11-30-2018, 11:25 AM

Curious if those that claim that aging does nothing for wild game have ever actually aged their game in the proper conditions before?
Butchers will tell you it makes no difference because they are not in the business of aging meat and quiet frankly don't want to do it.
And the hack job of a guy that hangs his deer in a garage for a few days to a week with fluctuating temperatures opinion holds no water with me.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

Arrow

2 weeks or more.

My meat is better than your meat

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/as...-meat-worth-it
Old 12-02-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I don't bother hanging deer at all anymore. Hanging may tenderize it a bit more but the way you clean, prepare and cook your deer will effect the taste much more than a bit of hanging time.
You are right for the most part. Aging will improve the taste and will firm up the muscle and make cutting easier and more efficient.

The first thing I do is skin the deer ASAP and wash it down inside and out with cold water. This will cool down the meat and clean off a lot of the hair and dirt. Prop the ribs open with a stick and set a fan on it to dry. Low humidity is the key from now on in. After aging for 5-7 days, I then fillet completely the entire animal removing all fat. No bones are left on the meat. This eliminates bone dust on the muscle and greatly improves flavour.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
Here is something you or anyone else can try - hang half and butcher the other half and compare the same animal.
Not a bad idea.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 AM

Typically 3 days for small deer 5 for mature bucks. Don’t let it freeze solid the first night. If the temperature is really warm cut down the hang time if it’s blistering cold can hang a bit longer but it will be a pain to butcher a frozen solid critter. It’s all trial and error really 99% of the hunt is what to do after the critter is down...