Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM

Default About Swan Hills again..

I've been trying to get my son a bear for the last year or so in Swan hills and we've tried house mountain, deer mountain, west of swan towards virginia hills and edith lake with not much luck. We're going to take one last crack at it this weekend. Any suggestions for an area in Swan Hills?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM

Everywhere you have tried holds tons of bears, so I'd just hit one of them again. You could also try goose main rd, which is off Virginia hills. Seen tons of bears off that rd working there.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Everywhere you have tried holds tons of bears, so I'd just hit one of them again. You could also try goose main rd, which is off Virginia hills. Seen tons of bears off that rd working there.
My cousin lives in swan hills and says they have lots of bears including griz so just keep tying you will find one.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 PM

ussualy see more bear in the area around fall then spring.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM

You're not trying hard enough.

Grizz
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Wife and I spent the past weekend there for some scouting around and target shooting. Saw bear **** and tracks everywhere, mostly wolf tracks where we were (took one wolf down when he walked into our campsite in broad daylight with music blaring). Did not actually see any bears, but I wasn't hunting them, just target shooting across the long clear cuts. We did see one set of grizzly tracks that looked about 350-400 lbs. Anyway you've got one weekend left, keep at it!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM

Hot temps = late movement. we are probably past the 'drive around' time of year where bears are out in the open a lot. gotta get in there after em

During the day, check north slopes that are green and shaded, beaver ponds, bogs, etc.

most people are a lot more willing to talk about bear sightings than other game, stop and talk to anyone you meet out there.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Hot temps = late movement. we are probably past the 'drive around' time of year where bears are out in the open a lot. gotta get in there after em

During the day, check north slopes that are green and shaded, beaver ponds, bogs, etc.

most people are a lot more willing to talk about bear sightings than other game, stop and talk to anyone you meet out there.

Easy to get some guidance from the local well operators, I found.

Grizz
Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 AM

We've had good luck in the Blue Ridge area. Lots of areas to access off of the haul road running between Hwy32 and 658. Just be aware of where you are in relation to Carson Pegasus, can be tough knowing when you're in or out of the park so we usually give it a wide berth.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

X2. You're definitely not in a bad area.