Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Smile Which GPS is best?

I want to buy my husband a GPS/ tracking devise for when he goes out sheep hunting. I have no idea where to start.
What do you guys think of the Garmin Rino 520HCx? or the SPOT satellite GPS Messanger? Does anyone have one of these? If there are other good ones out there I'd like to hear about them.
Please help me out with this. I want him to like it and use it.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM

I have 3 gps.

My fav out of the bunch for what you're looking for is a Garmin gpsmap 60csx.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatwife! View Post
I want to buy my husband a GPS/ tracking devise for when he goes out sheep hunting. I have no idea where to start.
What do you guys think of the Garmin Rino 520HCx? or the SPOT satellite GPS Messanger? Does anyone have one of these? If there are other good ones out there I'd like to hear about them.
Please help me out with this. I want him to like it and use it.

Thanks so much.
Does the 520HCX send? We use SPOT at work but have seperate handhelds. 60CSX. Check in every 2 hours.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 04-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM

I've been impressed with anything that is Garmin that I've used.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-16-2011, 08:52 PM

I have owned 3 Garmins now and really liked them all.
I am tossing around the idea right now of getting one of the new touch screen hand helds (probably an Orgeon) and adding the Bushmap card to it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I have owned 3 Garmins now and really liked them all.
I am tossing around the idea right now of getting one of the new touch screen hand helds (probably an Orgeon) and adding the Bushmap card to it.
Heard they are not very good in cold weather Rocky. I put in miles upon miles of roads in this winter with a 60CSX, -32 covered in snow now if I only had Oiltrax. hehehe

I still use a compass though. Deflect roads now for Cariboo.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 PM

i use a Garmin, but the one that gets me home, is the winner in my books
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustayah View Post
I have 3 gps.

My fav out of the bunch for what you're looking for is a Garmin gpsmap 60csx.
Best one out there! Put bush maps on it and your good to go!!

Batteries last about 10-20hrs "depending on what your doing" and has all the features you will need.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 PM

I think the lady is a little confused here. SPOT is strictly an emergency aid transmitter. No field GPS function, other than you can send one way location message to someone's computer. If you want to be a Real Good wife, buy him one of each.

Grizz
Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM

Be careful: isn't Spot the emergency one where if you get lost then you press the button and search and rescue comes looking for you?

If you forget about that, and press the button; or you accidentally press the button, then they send out the helicopter or search and rescue and YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL THE RESCUE EXPENSES !

Get him a GPS such as the map 60 CSX: but he has to keep studying the instruction manual until he knows how to use the unit, and knows how to track himself into the wilderness , and then track himself back out following the gps screen way-points.

I like my electronic compass and altimeter on my 60 csx, but am too damn lazy and dumb to read the manual and understand how to use it for tracking.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 PM

If I were buying a new GPS today i'd be taking a hard look at the new Garmin 62st. It's pricey but a generational jump from the 60csx

I currently have a Garmin eTrex Legend hcx and it's a great unit.

A SPOT isn't a GPS for navigation, it's a GPS tracking and rescue system. It doesn't tell the user where they are but can tell other people which a regular GPS cannot.

So the bottom line is they do different things and carrying both is a good idea.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 PM

I think Spot has a new gps out that is a gps and can 1 way text, and can send help.... But I like my garmin 62st, its the new 60 and has all the maps on it, works really good, and it has birds eye, for a fee
Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 PM

I have a Magellan though, I find it's a real pain to use their software and I have had a few incidents where my waypoints have been spotaneously erased.

I personally wouldn't recommend a Magellan.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 PM

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=219
Here's a link to the new spot with gps, n texting I don't know much about it, I went with the gamin instead of the new spot because Im getting a Satilight phone, and think the garmin has a better gps system
Old 04-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Heard they are not very good in cold weather Rocky.
Good to know. I wonder what the issue is? My Nuvi touch screen woks fine in -40.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-17-2011, 01:49 AM

I have the Garmin Oregon and its fine in cold weather. The batteries don't last long but i always carry extras with me. Never had to go through an extra set of batteries in 1 day and that's having the unit on all day. If you're out for a week in -30 then yes it can become a pain battery wise but i have absolutely no issue with the GPS itself in cold weather.

I would highly recommend a Garmin and add on the topo maps or backroad mapbook.

But never leave home without a compass and paper maps!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I think the lady is a little confused here. SPOT is strictly an emergency aid transmitter. No field GPS function, other than you can send one way location message to someone's computer. If you want to be a Real Good wife, buy him one of each.

Grizz
Its the DeLorme that has both.I have not used it.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=219

Love my Garmin Map 76 cs but wish that I had the larger screen that the Oregon has.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Rinos

I think the Rino 520HCX is one that has a built in 2 way radio. If your hubby is hunting with others that has this feature then when out together they can set them to send GPS coordinates to each other. Good idea when you have game down. Call your buddy & he can use his unit to find you. I don't know for sure if all the rinos { 120,130 520}are compatible. Maybe someone else knows for sure. I currently have a 130 on the buy , sell forum.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM

We use them and all Rino models communicate both voice and GPS data with each other. They also communicate voice to all other FRS or GMRS radios. Position transmitting is very valuable but you do need another Rino to send to.

They are great units that perform as advertised. They do not transmit through mountains but do very well from high ground or along canyons. They have different power evels depending on the model, and the american 520/530 models have more output power (5 watts). Technically illegal to use here but I think you can get a license. I turn mine down to the legal 2 watts and have the extra in reserve for emergencies.

GPS portion works very well but you need decent topo maps installed ($100 unless you have them already). I would get the 530 over the 520 for the extra $50, JMHO.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:42 PM

I have the Garmin Colorado 400T. Best GPS ive used, super user friendly its color screen and "3d" display capable.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Oregon 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Good to know. I wonder what the issue is? My Nuvi touch screen woks fine in -40.
I have used my Oregon 550 (touch screen) now for two winters trapping, and cougar hunting. I haven't had any problems in the cold with it.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
I have used my Oregon 550 (touch screen) now for two winters trapping, and cougar hunting. I haven't had any problems in the cold with it.
You may have just made up my mind for me Sir (400 series though...don't want the camera).

I had the opprotunity to be around one a year or so ago.....the same 550 you have......amazing and that was without the applicable card for the area. I was very much impressed with it.

Do you just store it in your interior?
Have you used it at -40?
How long do you have until the screen becomes an issue at these temps?

In my experience...screens act slowly and do some pretty weird things. My main concern would be that I would be relying on a touch screen as opposed to buttons. Any info that you could share would be very much appreciatted.

tm
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
You may have just made up my mind for me Sir (400 series though...don't want the camera).

I had the opprotunity to be around one a year or so ago.....the same 550 you have......amazing and that was without the applicable card for the area. I was very much impressed with it.

Do you just store it in your interior?
Have you used it at -40?
How long do you have until the screen becomes an issue at these temps?

In my experience...screens act slowly and do some pretty weird things. My main concern would be that I would be relying on a touch screen as opposed to buttons. Any info that you could share would be very much appreciatted.

tm
I don't think it's seen -40 yet, but it has seen -30 a fair bit. I keep it in my windshield bag on the sled, quad box, or clipped to the shoulder strap of my backpack. I really havent found the low temp limit for the touch screen. My line of thinking if it's cold enough to freeze the screen, then you can put it inside your clothes somewhere and you should be fine. I have noticed reduced battery life in the cold temps, same for anything battery powered.

The camera is cool. I really like being able to associate photos with waypoints. I have most of our stands and blinds tagged in that manner. It's helpful to have the pictures if your trying to direct a newcomer to a stand location for the first time. The camera lacks a zoom, so the functionality is limited.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Default Many thanks!

Wow guys thanks so much for the great feedback. I'll probably go with a Garmin.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM

I have a Garmin Oregon which can find signals pretty much anywhere (like in the basement of my house) and a ton of features. It's touch screen, simple to use, can do and record just about anything. Also bought a SPOT. You might want to look into the DeLorme PN-60w. It's a little more pricey but it is a combined GPS and SPOT system. The beauty is that it also allows you to send satellite text messages. As it is with a SPOT, your hubby can send you an "I'm OK" message if he is delayed and may have to stay over night, but that's it. You know he's alive but not what is happening. With the DeLorme he can send you plenty of messages with exact details.

There is also something now called "SPOT Connect" which allows you to do the same thing using your smart phone, from anywhere you can get a sattelite signal. Of course that means you now need to carry three things (GPS, SPOT Connect, and phone).

Don't forget about MAPPING software. I bought my Oregon in a really good package deal from GPS Central in Calgary that included Alberta Backroads Maps software. This software is ten times more detailed that the standard stuff Garmin sells for Alberta wilderness areas. Has hiking trails, x-country trails, snowshoe trails, WMU boundaries, park boundaries, etc. all included.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I have a Garmin Oregon which can find signals pretty much anywhere like in the basement of my house.
I always knew those guys in the social sciences need a gps to find their way in their dark basements.