Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Hello

Hi Everyone,
I am coming over next week with the family and staying with family in Calgary but none of the fish!
Im bringing my fly gear and hoping to have a chuck at some point. staying near to Fish Creek Park? then travelling up to Jasper for a couple of nights and then back down to Waterton.
Im just hoping some one can point me in the direction of some trout from the bank (don't do boats)?
Thanks in advance Steve

PS
If any of oyu want to know anything about the Yorkshire area give me a shout. mainly a coarse/match angler but do a bit of fly.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveyorkshire View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am coming over next week with the family and staying with family in Calgary but none of the fish!
Im bringing my fly gear and hoping to have a chuck at some point. staying near to Fish Creek Park? then travelling up to Jasper for a couple of nights and then back down to Waterton.
Im just hoping some one can point me in the direction of some trout from the bank (don't do boats)?
Thanks in advance Steve

PS
If any of oyu want to know anything about the Yorkshire area give me a shout. mainly a coarse/match angler but do a bit of fly.
I'll shoot you some spots a little later in the week to help whet your appetite. But now I must bump you over to the fly fishing forums,, I think you will get more responses than over on this forum where us toothless hardware chucker's lurk.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Welcome to Alberta, when you get here.

I am told that the Bow River is a world class Trout river. Unfortunately I can't help you with how to fish the area. That's several hundred miles south of me.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of helpful folks about to help you enjoy your stay here.

So enjoy the fishing, may the big ones eat whatever you throw their way.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 PM

There is an amazing spot right outside of south calgary i think you should check out(10 min drive from fishcreek), It's called Police Mans Flats. You can find it on a google map since it's kind of tricky to find the access road(but easy if you know where to look).

I have fished it many times and have never been dissapointed with heading down there, altho you need waders to access parts of the river there is alot of shore fishing you can do.

Flies to use at this time
- 12-16 Dry Caddis Fly
- Prince nymphs
- Reese's Pieces Worm
- Leeches

Try those out first, you should get some action.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilize View Post
There is an amazing spot right outside of south calgary i think you should check out(10 min drive from fishcreek), It's called Police Mans Flats. You can find it on a google map since it's kind of tricky to find the access road(but easy if you know where to look).

I have fished it many times and have never been dissapointed with heading down there, altho you need waders to access parts of the river there is alot of shore fishing you can do.

Flies to use at this time
- 12-16 Dry Caddis Fly
- Prince nymphs
- Reese's Pieces Worm
- Leeches

Try those out first, you should get some action.
Don't forget hoppers!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Hi Guys,
thanks for these.
Police mans Flats looks well.

Im also staying couple of nights in Jasper Kelowna and Banff, anywhere to recommend around theer?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveyorkshire View Post
Hi Guys,
thanks for these.
Police mans Flats looks well.

Im also staying couple of nights in Jasper Kelowna and Banff, anywhere to recommend around theer?
You are going to need a Parks license for Jasper and Banff. Also, this is bear season as they are starting to fatten up on berries so be careful.

You really need local knowledge for fishing these 2 places. That said, if someone can get you to Maligne Lake in Jasper you should have fun, as there are some nice brook trout there. You can rent a canoe for about $90 a day.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:39 PM

fish creek in Cowtown can be good if you're near there anyway. fish a hopper dropper.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire