Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Smile Going to pick up my new BOAT!

Ok, so going to montana to get my new boat sunday, I would appreciate any final tips of what I should be checking and looking for when I take it for a test drive. I'm no engine or boat expert, just trying to make sure I check all the necessary things before dropping the cash. So any advice on what to check would be great!

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM

put the plug in before you launch.......
Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM

my only advice would be to have a couple in mind for when you go; hate to drive the whole way for one that turns out to be a lemon
best of luck
Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

Need a little more info on the boat...

-are you buying from a dealer, if not is their a salvage title on the unit?
-newer boat? if so, warranty transferable?
-Fiberglass/aluminum,any hull repairs
- I always look at the skeg,it can tell allot about how the boat was cared for,my boat is 2 years old now and not a bit of paint is worn off,I see some newer models with no paint left,paint means one anal owner (me) no paint well,you make your own call,this is just what I have noticed from boat owners.
- trailer condition also says allot,pretty much same as the skeg thing
- If test driving I would like to start the motor from cold,as some times their are issues when cold but not when warm.
- Compression test is like a lie detector for motors,the outside may be nice and shiny but...
- and finally be prepared to walk away,don't Make it fit you,their are lots of boats out there,choose the one YOU want.......and post pics when you get back with the new rig!!!

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Reach down inside all the floor cubbies to see if any water has been leaking in. Check for any dampness before and after you take it for a test drive.

Good luck, hope it works out. Hey, did you prebuy the US money like we talked about? Hope so, our $ has taken a hit over the last few days.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Default i agree with checking the looks of it in regards to how it has been handled.

I get a good or bad feel the first time i am out in a boat-big or small. some times intuition is the best guage. when fishing my intuition is usually BADDDD!!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Do you have all your ducks in a row for crossing the border with your boat? Any paper work that has to be done and faxed in to the border before you get there?

As for the boat, depends on make, model and year and who youa re buying it from.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
put the plug in before you launch.......

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!!

So true, so true.... heh, heh.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Sounds like its a 'significant' investment, so you may want to think about scheduling a 'compression test' and VERY thorough inspection of the Hull (especially if warranty is non-Transferable) electronics etc... You could likely even do that while he's checking the engine, etc...

Lot's of good places down there to take it to..... You could likely schedule something now, so that when you get down there, it's only a matter of taking it over to the Mechanic. Once everything checks out, you could then ask to take it to the lake and give it a good 'sound beating' !!

BTW, what did you end up looking at ? (or is it a secret ?)

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM

It's an 2001 Searay 185 sport, 4.3 L merc, alpha one drive, 2 props, 1 stainless, fish finder, bimini top, all covers and a few accessories. Everything has been checked out and have full service records, etc. Under 150 hrs on boat and seems in good condition from photos. Won't say price I'm getting it for but it's under $10K. Didn't ask about warranty but guessing it's age there isn't any anymore. Not from a dealer, just private sale.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
It's an 2001 Searay 185 sport, 4.3 L merc, alpha one drive, 2 props, 1 stainless, fish finder, bimini top, all covers and a few accessories. Everything has been checked out and have full service records, etc. Under 150 hrs on boat and seems in good condition from photos. Won't say price I'm getting it for but it's under $10K. Didn't ask about warranty but guessing it's age there isn't any anymore. Not from a dealer, just private sale.
Sounds like a great boat with all the necessary accessories.

SeaRay is a top quality brand with great hulls, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

There won't be any warranty, but ask yourself how many repairs you could pay for compared to the price of the same boat (and it will be basically identical) new.

Waxy
Old 08-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Sounds like a great boat with all the necessary accessories.

SeaRay is a top quality brand with great hulls, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

There won't be any warranty, but ask yourself how many repairs you could pay for compared to the price of the same boat (and it will be basically identical) new.

Waxy

Yeah, I'd second that ! Sounds like a stellar deal... Good for you.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Default Tip

A friend told me when he brought his over there is one thing to watch is the serial number on the boat trailer. He had to go back and get paperwork. The boat and trailer are considered a separate unit so make sure all your bill of sales etc. Show both the boat and then trailer as separate. If not you may have to go back and get another bill of sale. Make sure there is a serial tag on the boat trailer. He told me the customs guy said it is a common mistake. Most only think of the boat.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:22 AM

For boats you don't have to send any paperwork in advance to the border, be sure you have 2 bills of sale 1 for the trailer and 1 for the boat, also you have to have the original title for the boat. You will have to pay around $215.00 fee at the border for the trailer inspection at Crappy Tire, once the 1 minute inspection is done at Crappy Tire your off to the registry office.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:26 AM

Yeah, not concerned with the border. Have done it before with other things, that's the easy part. It's the boat condition and if it's going to be good that is worrying me. I think so, feel confident. 2 more sleeps