Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM

I call them F&W or DNR (Division of Natural Resources).
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM

"In Alberta:
A Fish & Wildlife Officer is a two year DIPLOMA program.
A Conservation Enforcement Officer is a four year DEGREE program."

NONSENSE! UTTER NONSENSE! The Fish & Wildlife Technology program your son took was two years. The Conservation Enforcement Applied degree is another two years but it is not geared specifically towards Parks (COs in Alberta).

"SRD is (Sustainable Resource Development) Its the government department . It consists of forestry , fish and wildlife and I think parks."

Incorrect, Parks falls under a different Ministry: Tourism.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM

I try not to use the term fish cop out of respect because I fish legal and know my regs. If you're respectful to them and they don't have to write you a ticket, they're usually very friendly and very good sources of local info.

Not always but most of the time. We once bugged a couple of CO's for so long they never bothered to check our licenses, hooks or cooler. They just wanted to leave. They were friendly and all, just impatient.

I generally call them CO's (Conservation Officers) or F&W. And even after learning the correct terminology, I'm still going to call them CO's because "fish and wildlife officer" is too much of a mouthful.

Last edited by ssyd; 03-18-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM

Default For Informative Purposes Only

Around the year 1700, the slang verb cop entered English usage, meaning "to get ahold of, catch, capture." By 1844, cop showed up in print, and soon thereafter the -er suffix was added, and a policeman became a copper, one who cops or catches and arrests criminals. Copper first appeared in print in 1846, the use of cop as a short form copper occured in 1859
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
they dont seem to like " hello my brotha from a different motha "

Now thats one i gotta try yet
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

when i refer to them as a fish cop i sure dont mean any disrespect. Qisley is at least one who takes no offence so i dont see a problem. if an officer asked me not to call them that i would oblige, but for now fish cop works for me.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
C constable O on P patrol.

Nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
But cop is an akronim(spelling) short for "constables on patrol", I would think this is not too disrespectfull..imo
This is wrong. Cop comes from Copper (police are still referred to as coppers in the UK).

Cop or Copper
While commonly believed to be an acronym for Constable On Patrol, the term refers to "one who captures or snatches". This word first appeared in the early 18th century, and can be matched with the word "cap", which has the same meaning and whose etymology can be traced to the Latin word 'capere'. (The word retains this meaning in other contexts: teenagers "cop a feel" on a date, and they have also been known to "cop an attitude".) Variation: Copper. It is also believed that the term Copper was the original, unshortened word, popularly believed to represent the copper badges American officers used to wear at the time of origin, but in fact probably used in Britain to mean "someone who cops" long before this. It is also believed to come from the Latin word 'Corpore' meaning body, i.e. a body of men.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Is the term 'Fish cop' derogatory?
Generally speaking, it's only derogatory if you're using it with a derogatory connotation.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM

If anything the guys from highways have the worst nick names derogitory or not. (Mermaid . . )
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
When speaking with any sort of LEO, I always address them as 'Sir'.
Ditto. RCMP/fish cops/whoever: in personal interactions, it's always 'sir' (I've not had interactions with a female officer, but I suppose I might revert to the ma'am that I picked up while living in SC).

As for the original question, I think it depends largely on how it's used. It can be used in a fun or respectful way, and I think that's alright. It can also be used in a derogatory (i.e. muttered under one's breath) way, which is, likely, less appropriate.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Like girlfriends....call them all "Babe" you'll never get in trouble for screwing up a name.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Fish Cop I had to laugh cause a very close friend is a Fish Cop on the West Coast and I know thats how he refers to himself and I have had a CO pull us over for a game check and he let the officer now his position in the federal fisheries dept he has no problems with it but Iam sure as he gets older that will change to