Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Default Best line for River fishing walleye/pike/etc

Hello all,

Just wanted to get an opinion on what line you think is the best for fishing the rivers for walleye/pike/goldeye/etc....

I mostly fish the Red Deer River. Throwing spoons, rigs, rapalas....nothing too huge. Right now using Stren original low vis green mono on 3 spinners and clear Stren mono 8lb on a baitcaster (that's what it came spooled with).

Any input appreciated! thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Cool

POWERPRO!!!! Or really any superline: fireline, spiderwire, power pro, suffix, etc..

However, Powerpro is best IMO (Suffix is supposed to be great as well but I havent used it). Once you go to braid you will never go back...
No stretch, super strong, no line memory, only have to replace every 2 years, etc, etc

Now of course, this is a matter of opinion and im sure someone will post that they hate braid..
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Good old Trilene XL....... if working lures and jigs in high snag areas which is pretty much the whole river...... you can at least break it free. When using lines like Powerpro... I'll use a mono leader. Its not fun trying to reel in a crankbait that snagged a shopping cart in the NSR
Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Braids have their time and place but if you just want a generic all-purpose line, I would go with Berkley Sensation. It's strong, abrasion resistant and low-stretch. And like Bigbore said, if you do use a braid, use a mono leader.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Good old Trilene XL....... if working lures and jigs in high snag areas which is pretty much the whole river...... you can at least break it free. When using lines like Powerpro... I'll use a mono leader. Its not fun trying to reel in a crankbait that snagged a shopping cart in the NSR
Well If you quit fishing by the beverly bridge this wouldnt happen .
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Well If you quit fishing by the beverly bridge this wouldnt happen .
oh noez....... Some one quick.... call an ambulance and take me to the Burn Unit.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Good old Trilene XL.......
I agree, AB.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
POWERPRO!!!! Or really any superline: fireline, spiderwire, power pro, suffix, etc..

However, Powerpro is best IMO (Suffix is supposed to be great as well but I havent used it). Once you go to braid you will never go back...
No stretch, super strong, no line memory, only have to replace every 2 years, etc, etc

Now of course, this is a matter of opinion and im sure someone will post that they hate braid..
2x
Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM

I have yet to find a line i like more than spiderwire ultracast. 10lb strength, 2lb diameter. Very soft and flexible, unlike some of the other lines which seem more popular. I don't use a leader with it fishing for pike and don't remember ever losing a fish because of the line. Very tough stuff. Picked up some 10lb suffix 832 for this summer, because everyone seems to think very highly of it. haven't tried it yet, but first thing I noticed was how much stiffer it is (it's also thicker, 4lb diameter). Only issue I have with the spiderwire is that it detiorates fast, I'd say 2 seasons max.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

I use 10 lb mono. Particularly in rivers I've had better luck with the stiffer mono's like Maxima or Trilene XT. I switched from 12lb XL to 10lb XT a few years ago and find I lose less gear. I tryed braid for a couple seasons as well and did not feel that its advantages were great enough to overcome its dissadvantages. Just a question to the people who tie a mono leader on the end of their braid, could you please point out to me the advantage of having braid at all in such a situation?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I use 10 lb mono. Particularly in rivers I've had better luck with the stiffer mono's like Maxima or Trilene XT. I switched from 12lb XL to 10lb XT a few years ago and find I lose less gear. I tryed braid for a couple seasons as well and did not feel that its advantages were great enough to overcome its dissadvantages. Just a question to the people who tie a mono leader on the end of their braid, could you please point out to me the advantage of having braid at all in such a situation?
When I add a leader, its usually fluoro, but have on occasion used mono, just for trout. When you have mostly braided line out and only a foot or two of mono leader, you get the increased castability of 2lb diameter line, no stretch, better sensitivity.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Just a question to the people who tie a mono leader on the end of their braid, could you please point out to me the advantage of having braid at all in such a situation?
In a river situation... if im using a braid... ill add a mono leader so I can snap of a harsh snag. I have seen people ruin rod guides, cut their finger/hands trying to free snags with braids and other superlines.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
In a river situation... if im using a braid... ill add a mono leader so I can snap of a harsh snag. I have seen people ruin rod guides, cut their finger/hands trying to free snags with braids and other superlines.
Wrap your line around a stick and then pull on it,I've straightened hooks out doing this but still had the lure..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I dunno about casting reels, but on a spinning reel you can just point the rod at the snag, grab the spool so it doesn't spin, and pull straight back. Something's going to give, and I've found in most cases it's the hook. At least on the heavy-ish gear I use on the NSR

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh no, I understand why you use the mono leader in such an circomstance. Was a little unclear on the purpose of the braid backing though.

The thing I hate though is that when you do break that braid it stays down there, when you get enough guys breaking off heavy line you end up with a tangled mess that can claim more hooks than the snags and sticks themselves. Some of you may have trouble believing this but I often put on snorkle gear and go treasure (rapala) hunting when the river runs clear and the fishing is slow, and I have seen this first hand in many popular holes.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Oh no, I understand why you use the mono leader in such an circomstance. Was a little unclear on the purpose of the braid backing though.

The thing I hate though is that when you do break that braid it stays down there, when you get enough guys breaking off heavy line you end up with a tangled mess that can claim more hooks than the snags and sticks themselves. Some of you may have trouble believing this but I often put on snorkle gear and go treasure (rapala) hunting when the river runs clear and the fishing is slow, and I have seen this first hand in many popular holes.
Purpose of the braid backing is for the limpness and great casting ability of braid IMO.

Sorry to de-rail but what river do you go rapala hunting in? just out of curiosity.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Purpose of the braid backing is for the limpness and great casting ability of braid IMO.

Sorry to de-rail but what river do you go rapala hunting in? just out of curiosity.
I go hook hunting in the Lesser Slave river mostly but I've stripped down and went diving in various other locations.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I go hook hunting in the Lesser Slave river mostly but I've stripped down and went diving in various other locations.
Thats awesome! Im gonna give hook huntin a shot this summer!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Thats awesome! Im gonna give hook huntin a shot this summer!
Just don't get "Hooked" on it....lol
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Default Lure Hawk

my son is a fish lure hawk. we walk many miles of rivers and streams during the summer months, and if there's a hook to be found he's on it. big clousers and bunnys, rapalas, spoons, spinners you name it. he always follows me and i walk right by all the treasures. he'll have a full box at the end of the season and most of it is like new.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Power pro 20 LB test is the best!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish@ View Post
Power pro 20 LB test is the best!
Depends on the species, i just picked up some in 5lb test for trout!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Depends on the species, i just picked up some in 5lb test for trout!
For trout I use 6 lb Fireline Crystal with a monofiloment or fluorocarbon leader leader
Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM

I have used many different kinds of line and always go back to Trilene XL in 6 or 8 lb. test depending on the rod/reel combo and it's intended uses.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the help!