Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 AM

Default Getting back into it...

I am an 'advanced' beginner fly fisherman. I understand water, hatches, presentation, fly weight and keeping my 'ears' open for all the advice I can obtain. Life is all about learning.

I stepped up to a new rig today with a TFO BVK 9' 5 wt and a Ross Flyrise 2 reel with WF5F Trout LT Rio line. I am pretty stoked to go back to basic's with this gear and develope 'skills'. My first fish on a fly was 1980, up to that point I was the 'Mepps' Magician' on spin cast. My old fly 'rig' now feels like a 'broomstick 'and a 'kite' winder...

I had used 'double taper' line before but elected to go 'weight forward' this time around

Is there anyone out there using this Rio Trout LT WF5F and TFO BVK 9' 5 wt ?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 AM

I don't use any of the gear, but I have heard from a few sources that the BVK is an outstanding rod for the price. also, my buddy broke his this spring and they straight up sent him a new one.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 AM

I have 2 bvk's, a 6wt and a 3wt, I love them not a bad thing to say about them! I also have the bvk reel on my 6wt, its a great reel as well, both rods spun with Rio trout lt lines. Good choice and the warranty is top!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM

There was a trend in the fly rod industry to make fast and very fast action rods over the last 10 years or so. Thankfully the trend is changing and the latest and greatest now offer a little more feel.

The trend revolved around Sage's market dominance especially in fast action rods and in particular the XP and Z-Axis. Most companies missed the boat as their offerings had very little feel. They were unable to duplicate the quick recovering fine tip of the Sage with a mass produced Asian blank.

Having said that the BVK is an outstanding value in it's price point. The Rio presentation line is also an outstanding performer. Teamed up together however I think you are going to miss out on the performance the rod is capable of at short to medium distances. The line is too light and the weight is too far back in the taper to load a fast action rod properly.

Many fast action rods require at least 1/2 wt heavier line like the old Rio Grand or the new Rio Gold. The new Rio Grand is actually a full weight heavier than standard wt. These lines were developed by the same company that owns Sage especially for these fast rods the other companies are trying to copy.

I purchased a Rio presentation line for a fast action and was extremely disappointed. I ended having to purchase a GPX line from SA and it is now a different rod that I really enjoy. The Rio line now resides on a medium action rod that presents dry flies like they have burnt feet.

Sexyloops has a database of actual rods measured for their true weight. Most are at least 1/2 wt more than classified and most over 1 full weight. Many people are going a full wt heavier with the BVK and some 1.5 times on another forum I was reading.

If you are near Red Deer I have a couple of different 5 and 6 wt lines you are welcome to try. I know it is frustrating as I just recently purchased a line for another new rod that I thought would be perfect. Although it casts nice I have convinced myself another line might have been a better choice.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback

Good discussion regarding the flyline weight and the weight of the rod itself. I too have read that is it suggested to go one size up on flyline weight to compliment the BVK 5wt rod.

My short casts to low-medium casts were not bad with a 5w double taper. To allow me to get 'out there' I listened to the advantage of a weight forward line and to help me to 'gently' float out that dry fly I purchased the Rio Trout LT.

I think I am trying to find that 'sweet spot' of a flyline that will give me 40 feet but to be flexible to hand those medium to shorter casts all with finess to help with my presentation.

To help a bit, I enjoy floating the Bow river casting up to the steep banks, fishing the Livingstone and with shorter casts hit small creeks like Lost, Lynx and Gold. I will cast on lakes from a boat. All in all, my cast distance would be 15-40 feet.

To ask, would a weight forward fly line help me with this or should I have stayed with double taper?

Thank you MK2750 for offering to try different lines. I will see where this goes.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 PM

It is from 15 to 40 feet that the 1/2 weight heavy and full weight heavy lines help load fast action rods. Over 40 feet there is enough line in the air to load the rod using most any taper UNTIL you go too heavy and over load the rod.

If you were primarily casting at 40+ feet and/or casting nymph rigs and streamers than the regular weight forward or double taper would be perfect. For dry flies under 40 feet the 1/2 weight or full weight heavy lines would have been a better choice with the rod you purchased.

In order to cast delicately with presentation lines under 40 feet, a medium to medium fast action rod is ideal with a fine tip to protect light tippet. I use a Sage ZXL for this but the Signature Series TFOs also present a nice dry fly and are fun to fish.

Some rods like the Z-Axis, Hardy Zenith and the top end fast action Winstons give you a nice two in one combo enabling a person to cast close up off the tip and fire it long when using the full flex of the rod.

Having said all that, there is no rules or style points when it comes to getting a fly in front of a trout. I am a gear junkie and like certain things in a rod. Find what works for you and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM

I'll throw an offer out to you aswell and may be closer to you than MK, not sure where you're at. I have a bvk reel loaded with 6wt wf rio gold and another loaded with 5wt wf rio grand. The river runs not far behind the house, lots of room to try them both and I'm just sw of Calgary.

Dace
Old 08-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks again for the replies guy's and offers of help with the other lines. I will have a chance to hit some water in with that Rio Trout LT soon. I will post again on how it reacted.

I am thinking I am going to be blown away from what I was using before i.e. rod/reel/line and it will take me a little bit to dial in what the line is doing.

Chat soon.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 PM

I had a chance to run into the 'Rio' rep at Wholesale Sports who gave me the run down on all three - Gold, LT and Grand; more information was gleened. I was somewhat prepared as to what to expect.

I recently had the opportunity to use the Rio Trout LT line with the BVK. I also used a 9' Rio leader.

It was a success with many rises and two Cutthroats. The rod/line combo was a big improvement for me from what I had but I think I was able to see what the Trout LT was trying to do.

It certainly will lay the leader and fly out gently. Not much for performance against a bit of a breeze, as luck would have it I had a small breeze that was blowing upstream to help me with my casts. I could see where a Rio Gold might work as an overall line.

On one calm day the LT worked well enough to allow me to cast over to the opposite side of the river banks. I am thinking I am just too obsorbed with the overall combination to seperate the lines apart at this time.

Anyways, I have been showing improvement on my presentations as the last trout rose 8 times until he finally hit. They like that fly 'high and dry'.

Thanks for all of the advice.