Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Default What's the deal with the south bow?

I live in the NW of Calgary, close to Bowmont park, and do the majority of my fishing lately. It's never amazing, but there's always at least a few fish biting, even if they are on the small side.

Everywhere I look, I keep hearing about how the Bow is so much better in the south. Since I had the day off today, I decided to head down to policemans flats, and then fish creek park. Probably four hours of fishing every spot that looked decent within walking range with waders on. I did not see a single rise, and had absolutely no action all day. I was using everything from wooly buggers, to prince nymphs, to hoppers fished under an overhanging bank. Am I missing something here? No one else around me seemed to be having any luck either.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM

I'm feeling your pain today.maybe it was just one of those days who knows better luck next time to us both
Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM

I got skunked today too at southland! Sounds like it was slow. Not even worth hopping over a few fences!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 PM

I think that it might be a personal thing.

My friend and I probably caught 20 fish over the weekend.

During the day, it was size 16-18 nymphs that caught all the fish. Dry fly fishing will start in the shaded areas about 1 hour before sunset in water no more than 1.2 m deep. You have to be careful and quiet, though. The fish will rise just close to the banks. Dry fly fishing is only about 2 hours long, from 1 hour before sunset to an hour after sunset. Size 16 and 18 caddis and mayflies worked great.

The Bow river fish are quite skittish with the water being so clear. I find that you have to lighten up the tackle. Fluorocarbon 4x for nymphing. 5x for dries.
Avoid wading if at all possible. Keep a quiet and subtle approach. They are willing if they are not spooked.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM

i did fairly well on saturday night, but i know what your talking about, last yr was 30-40 fish days and this yr your doing really well to get a half dozen, i think the floods were hard on the fish this yr and with the structure changes all around the river, things have definitly changed, now to spend more time scouting new locations
Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 PM

I fish the NW mostly also, since I live near this stretch. I agree that it is remarkably consistent and I always get a trout or two. The south Bow can be hit or miss. Days like you describe at those two heavily fished stretches happen all the time. But when you have a good day at policemans or Fish creek, you wont feel the same about the NW. I fish the NW because of the convenience, not for the numbers. The south has many more trout, but they are tough more times than not.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
i did fairly well on saturday night, but i know what your talking about, last yr was 30-40 fish days and this yr your doing really well to get a half dozen, i think the floods were hard on the fish this yr and with the structure changes all around the river, things have definitly changed, now to spend more time scouting new locations
Interesting. Despite all the flooding, I am actually fishing marginally better this year. Granted, I have been skunked several times, far more than last year (which was less than 4 times); however, the days that have produced for me have been borderline unbelievable (ahem....totally not 'fish stories').

I have only fished the NW a few times---maybe 10 times, max. I have fished the Lower Bow a couple hundred times (2-4 times per week, all year round, for the past 5 years). I cannot honestly compare how the two areas differ. I can only say one thing: in order for me to catch fish on the lower bow post-flood, I have to be at the top of my game---lighter tippet, longer leaders, better entomology, quieter approach.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Was at the confluence of the Highwood and Bow Friday night from 7pm to 11pm and got skunked. I fished streamers all evening, while my buddy was nymphing/dry. The water was amazingly warm....scary bath water warm. If I could do over the evening, probably would have fished more into the shallower riffles rather than the deep seems with the water temprature the way it is. Similiar to others, my home stretch of water is in NW calgary, with the occasional visit south. Can't believe how much colder the water is NW.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM

What's the deal with the south bow?

Warm, nutrient rich out flow from the Bonnybrock water treatment plant
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

I live in the NW.

I feesh the NW.

I like.

But the catching is terrible.