Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 03:36 PM

Default Southern res campgrounds info needed

I plan to take a week off this summer and fish some of the southern reservoirs. I plan to leave Friday after work and setup camp. Then hit Chin, Milk, Taber and then finally Sherburne, spending 2 days at each lake. I will likely do this on the last full week of June or third week in July. Walleye will be my primary target, but anything goes and will likely switch it up.

I've never been to any of these lakes before but do have some tips, we'll see what happens. But If anyone is willing to share some tips and starting points, that would be super great!

But I'm more interested though is places to camp. I will be tenting and I wanted to know where are good campgrounds to stay. I'm not sure if I can setup in one spot and just drive from there, that would be ideal I guess. I don't need a lot of services, just a nice hopefully treed campground with fire pits. I know that fires may be banned at this time if it's dry, but nice to have that option.

I will definitely document my trip with lots of stories and pics to share with everyone. Will be just me, the dog, the boat, 2 dozen hot dogs, 2 dozen smokies, chips, ketchup, beer, bacon, bread, potatoes and my patented fish mix for the frys at night. I'm expecting the wife and some friends to make appearances as well...

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Default campgrounds

never camped at Chin, but theres a nice looking campground with a boatlaunch right off highway 36

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM

I have grown up in the area and would definitely not be fishing for walleye in taber res. It is very shallow and really weedy all summer and its pretty much all pike. Yes there is walleye in there but good look finding a place that focuses the walleye. I would scrap the taber res. idea and hit ridge instead. As for campgrounds, there is one at chin, free camping at the boat launch at sherburn, and ridge has a camp ground to. Will you be fishing from a boat or off of shore? Taber res. is just the lake outside of town that is the old sugar factory water res. so there is no camping along that lake. Pm me with questions and I can try to help you out. Possibly even take a day or 2 off of work and head out with you if you want.

Nate
Old 04-30-2009, 10:14 PM

Not a good lake for Walleye is the Taber Resevior. ( Better known as the sugar factory). But Taber does have a nice campground down at the park along the river and you can catch nice Walleyes in the river. Well treed and firepit ready. Sherburne is a great lake with good Pike, Walleye, Perch (lots) and Whitefish (big whitefish).

Sounds like fun
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM

OK, thanks for the info. Someone told me once the fishing in taber was good, but I'm up for changes to the plan. Maybe substitute Forty Mile then? When I say Milk, I mean Milk River Ridge res. Will be boat fishing.

"But Taber does have a nice campground down at the park along the river and you can catch nice Walleyes in the river. Well treed and firepit ready."

Along the Oldman? What is the campground called? Because that sounds ideal.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM

I think it is just the provicial park. I could swing by but I am sure that is what it is called.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM

Its called the municipal park. very nice area down there and if you hike on the trail east of the campground and keep following the dirt path to the old pump house and gun range you will find a nice deep slow moving hole to chuck for walleye and some gators.

Nate
Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 PM

I found it on the net, looks like a nice place to setup camp. What do you guys think of Forty Mile or Yellow Lakes?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 PM

40 mile is nice for camping and great for fishing. Right around the campground can harbour some good 'eyes and pike. I have caught them off the private docks for the cabins or right beside the spillway. I would recommend the lake for sure. sherburne can be great as well. I have fished from the shore near the boat launch with limited success. Go off the dam and you will have more luck. At chin the level can vary a lot. I haven't fished it in 10 years or so but there are monster walleye and pike there. I used to hammer them right under the hwy 36 bridge on the north side of the lake. In taber definetly hit up the oldman river. I used to fish it lots and my best pike was right near the bridge and was just a shade under 10lbs. As for yellow lake, you have to hit it early. The weeds take over and can make shore fishing impossible in a hurry. Any of the road crossings can produce. My best was on the oiled road straight south of the burdett gas station. caught 28 pike in just over an hour there one evening. Good luck and make sure the updates are posted
Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Cool thanks, anyone know if there is a decent campground at Milk River Ridge res?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM

Ya there is a nice campground right at the boat launch area. I love that lake and campground.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Check out The Forks! Where Bow and Old Man meet straight North of Grassy lake. Lots of Walleye, Goldeye, and Sturgeon if you are set up for them. Camping is free, just make sure you fill out a card at the entrance because if you dont they will kick you out late at night when whoevers in charge makes there evening rounds. Fire pits right on shore of river in a well treed area. Usually pretty quite down there. There are no services though, but if your tenting who cares. Also check out Yellow Lakes, they are usually worth the drive! Lots of Pike, many 10lb plus.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM

yeah i would trade Taber lake for the forks any day of the week, the forks has quite the diversity of fish pike walleye the odd sauger goldeye sturgon among others im sure.The campsite has alot of big natural trees that provide decent shade and good a windblock and its fairly close sherburn that way you can fish sherburn during the day then tie a bell on and night fish the river from your camp. im not really a fan of the campsite at chin personally, it has a few stunted trees and not a whole lot of blockage from the wind, pm me if you want more info
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM

No that's cool. This is all good information. I have the dates set now just don't know where I'll be when (for sure 100%), but pretty sure it will break down like this.

Depart Calgary Saturday June 27. Find campground at the Ridge (hopefully), setup shop. If not, try to get one at Taber. Fish Sat and Sun at the ridge. Go to the Taber municipal campground Monday, setup there. Fish Chin Mon - Tues. Fish Sherburne Wed - Thurs, Forty Mile Fri - Sat. Come home Sunday.

Now, just have to figure out where to fish on these big lakes Have lots of Walleye experience, so just have to go with the gut. But if anyone has any good starting points, always welcome (even if by PM). The wife will be joining me on the Wednesday, so will be alone for most of the ridge and chin. so if anyone wants to join in on some fun, you'll have to share a seat with the dog LOL.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:25 PM

I just did a Tourney at Chin and we stayed at the MD campground in Taber, beautiful campground,paved roads,lots of big trees,power,showers,flush toilets.Sites are $20 night with power,showers are $2.Lots of sites as with Chin I think their are 16 sites?? Easy commute to Chin and Grassy... infact I plan on doing a trip with the family this summer! Save some fish for me!!

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...