Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM

Default New SUV

Hi guys
Wife is in the mood for a new vehicle. I'm hoping to get some kind of cuv. Acadia,Equinox,Traverse,maybe a forester. I'm hoping to find something used with low k on it.
Any knowledgable insight on this topic?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:03 PM

My 2014 GMC Terrain sle2 AWD has been bulletproof, but I wish it had more room. 85k and no issues.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:32 PM

I bought a Toyota Venza new in 2009, drove it for 7 years, sold it to my son and he is driving it now for 2 years. Absolutely trouble free, decent on fuel comfortable, the best winter vehicle I have ever had (AWD with Nokian Hak winter tires). It's got a little longer and wider wheel base than some of the competition, and it is inspiring on ice and snow. Would highly recommend you put on your list to look at, they can be had fairly reasonably. There is a reason they are so popular.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I bought a Toyota Venza new in 2009, drove it for 7 years, sold it to my son and he is driving it now for 2 years. Absolutely trouble free, decent on fuel comfortable, the best winter vehicle I have ever had (AWD with Nokian Hak winter tires). It's got a little longer and wider wheel base than some of the competition, and it is inspiring on ice and snow. Would highly recommend you put on your list to look at, they can be had fairly reasonably. There is a reason they are so popular.
I would completely echo these thoughts on my 09 Rav.............. that now belongs to my daughter.

Bulletproof CUV and, Toyotas have so much more interior space than the competition.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
There is a reason they are so popular.
So popular they were discontinued due to poor sales.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
So popular they were discontinued due to poor sales.
Perhaps I should have said popular with those who have owned them. The segment is over crowded, and there are a lot of vehicles inferior to the Venza still being sold...Venza was discontinued because toyota was selling more ravs and Highlanders...Ford is discontinuing all their cars, doesn't mean they are all crap either for that matter. I will stick with my first post, the discontinued Venza is a great vehicle.

OP should be able to find used with low km as such.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-19-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:17 PM

Default Subaru

I do like the Venza, but we just got a 2018 Forester. Its gonna be a great vehicle. Like Twisted said, Nokian Hakkapeliita winter tires are going on and not much is gonna stop that rig when the snow flies. I had a 2001 Forester and hit a moose in 2010 and walked away so I can vouch for the safety aspect. Good luck with the shopping!!!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Subaru Forester

I rented a Forester last winter in Victoria and drove the whole Island, back roads and all, really impressed with the vehicle. I used it on logging roads and highways averaged 33 MPG, lots of power, comfortable and good handling. Depending on the amount of room and passengers you have take a look at one. I was impressed with the Forester.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Buick Enclave would be another to consider. We had a CXL2 model in a 2010....was a great unit. We had it for 7 years. It had 50K when we bought it. We upgraded last month to a full size though.

The newer Enclave is the Avenir model. Buicks have a 4 year / 80K Warranty.

Traverse would be next on the list. Nice unit. Just don't like the front end...looks too "mini van" to me.

A few months ago we seen a 2015 GMC Acadia Denali with 12K. Was a good buy but missed out on it, but at the time I think we were just settling for it.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Subaru.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 PM

"Acadia,Equinox,Traverse" not if you're wanting something reliable and inexpensive to repair. I work on a lot of these, repeatedly. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone I liked.
I'm certainly no fan of Subaru's but they are pretty reliable depending on the motor and what's already been done to it. Head gaskets are a pretty common issue with them but not terribly difficult to repair (therefore not terribly expensive). CV joints/axles are a common issue with Subbies and I would never install anything but an OEM CV axle shaft on one.
The Rav4 are extremely trouble free and everyone I know that has owned one seems to love them.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:22 AM

At 40K with my Subaru Forester, and smiling. It does everything I ask of it, including towing an Aliner trailer.
I bought an extra set of rims and Hakkapelittas for winter tires.