Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Cell Phone Booster

Needing to get one. Which makes are good? Thinking of a Weboost. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM

I assume your talking about a vehicle booster? The company I work for installs the dual band Wilson boosters, I believe they are about $700 for a permanent install. Hope this helps you out.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:21 PM

I have a weBoost at my place in BC. It's taken our marginal service up to reasonable service. I bought the "470103F" kit - labelled as a "weBoost Connect 4G Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit". My installation is not yet permanent, but I expect pretty good things when I can get up on the roof and properly install a mast to get my antenna higher...

FYI - Wilson rebranded to weBoost a couple of years ago.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM

I had bought a weboost rv for my hunting trailer. I am now in the process of returning it. After doing some research and talking to some experts I have found that the weboost is a consumer booster and has flaws that will cause less than desirable performance.

The cable (rg-6) that they use between the outside antenna and the inside antenna was chosen for cost, availability and not performance. Rg-6 is not designed for radio frequencies and has the wrong resistance. Reducing the quality of signal.

I went to a place in edmonton called fatwire. They sold me a mobile kit that came with antennas and power cables. I then upgraded both the outside and inside antenna to better mach my intended use. I got to keep the stuff in the kit so I can now move it between the truck and trailer and only have to move the brain. The brain is seriously upgraded from weboost. It has status lights for all the different cell frequencies. It is made better and feels like quality.

The brand that I bought under recommendation is HiBoost. They do commercial boosters for cars houses business atm machines etc. Oh did I mention the cost. It was $150 cheaper than the weboost kit with extra cables and antennas power cables etc.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlim View Post
I had bought a weboost rv for my hunting trailer. I am now in the process of returning it. After doing some research and talking to some experts I have found that the weboost is a consumer booster and has flaws that will cause less than desirable performance.

The cable (rg-6) that they use between the outside antenna and the inside antenna was chosen for cost, availability and not performance. Rg-6 is not designed for radio frequencies and has the wrong resistance. Reducing the quality of signal.

I went to a place in edmonton called fatwire. They sold me a mobile kit that came with antennas and power cables. I then upgraded both the outside and inside antenna to better mach my intended use. I got to keep the stuff in the kit so I can now move it between the truck and trailer and only have to move the brain. The brain is seriously upgraded from weboost. It has status lights for all the different cell frequencies. It is made better and feels like quality.

The brand that I bought under recommendation is HiBoost. They do commercial boosters for cars houses business atm machines etc. Oh did I mention the cost. It was $150 cheaper than the weboost kit with extra cables and antennas power cables etc.

Thanks for the info! I currently have a we boost but after reading your post and doing some research I just ordered a HiBoost from Fatwire! Pretty excited to see how it works
Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 AM

Started running a Hi-Boost F10G-5S-LCD with a directional Yaggie last week. Went from zero bars to full reception. A big difference comes from the cable, I'm running LMR-400 cable and it seems to work great. There's an app called tower locator that shows you all the towers near you and lets you know where to point the yaggie. Hope this helps.