Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Yum! Brookies!

It's my favorite time of year for sure. Early season ice and the brookies are crusin' and fun to catch. Hit the lake west of Caroline for 3 hrs with Braun. Met The fisherman guy and a buddy there as well (thanks for the awesome pepperoni, delicous!). Action was pretty good until 11 but by then we had 8. Packed up and then headed to Burnstick. Fished on the west side of the lake. Ice was about 8-10" already, no tracks and didn't see much for holes punched yet. Tried a few spots and managed 20 or so very small perch. Had to be back in the city by 5 so didn't stay long at burnstick but if anyone wants to go, ice is safe for walking and quadding (we quadded out on both). Saw a plane land on the ice and then they cam and asked how thick the ice was LOL.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Great pics...love brookies for eating. hope to finally catch a few this year....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Nice pile o fishies there Mustang. Caught a few brookies myself this weekend (first brookies ever), largest being 5#s. Jigging with redhead jigs n minnows. Took 2 of us to catch 8 in two days, seemed to be 45 minutes in between fish. Was in about 12-15fow, how deep were u fishing if u don't mind me asking. I reckon I'm going to wrangle many more this winter(knock on wood) any tips would be super duper
Enjoy ur catch, thanx for sharing pics too!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Pretty much every fish we saw we were able to catch or at least it took a swipe at it. We were in 8-9 FOW and site fishing. Saw less than 2weeks ago but still good.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Looks like a good day man!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Hey Stang,

Did braun improve on his hook set ratio or is he still crapping the bed when it comes to hooking up?

I gotta make my way up that way to fish with you guys one of these weekends.

Nate

Last edited by npauls; 12-05-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM

He did ok broke fishing but still needs some practice with the perchies.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Wow, those look awesome. I'm planning on heading up to near Caroline next weekend to get my first ever lake brookies. Any hints for lures/bait? I've heard and read that white jigs work well and of course the good old worm, I'm assuming brookies also eat worms?.

Never been to any brookie lake yet but I'm looking forward to finally fishing one if the weather isn't brutal.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 AM

I can't get over how good looking those brookies are this time of year. And man they're tasty to boot! Nice work!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Good job NM....Nice looking brookies
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM

Very pretty fish. bet the pike would love them

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Very pretty fish. bet the pike would love them
Yup. I've read that across the pond in England brown trout are often the (live) bait of choice for monster pike

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Yeah tiny jig heads in any color (1/32 oz) will work. Location is key, that might take some practice. 5-10 FOW. Hopefully clear enough to see bottom and site fish, they are very finicky and light bitters. Worms or meal worms in the stocked lakes, even maggots too.

I LOVE site fishing. Makes it so interesting.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM

Thumbs down

If those brookies are from the lake near Burnstick, let me know how they taste. I kept 2 from there last weekend and they both tasted like DIRT. 2 bites and I couldn't eat anymore. They sure looked pretty though.

You can take the fish out of the swamp but you can't take the swamp out of the fish.....

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 AM

I'll be pretty sure they aren't from that lake you speak of. Otherwise I wouldn't be blocking out the backgroud

But yeah, the males are great tasting this time of year but the females are delicous. They are the best smoked but fried 2 that night and they were also very good, smoking the other 2 tonight before the big game.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Stang,

Did braun improve on his hook set ratio or is he still crapping the bed when it comes to hooking up?

I gotta make my way up that way to fish with you guys one of these weekends.

Nate
hey at least i didnt land the first fish only to fumble it worse than brett Farve and drop it back down the hole.........

them brookies tasted amazing! gonna smoke my other 2 this weekend. Thanks to mustang for takin me out.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Oh, meant males AREN'T great tasting...mushy.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
hey at least i didnt land the first fish only to fumble it worse than brett Farve and drop it back down the hole.........

them brookies tasted amazing! gonna smoke my other 2 this weekend. Thanks to mustang for takin me out.
Last years 2lb ultralight line didn't hold up. Might have to switch it out.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
If those brookies are from the lake near Burnstick, let me know how they taste. I kept 2 from there last weekend and they both tasted like DIRT. 2 bites and I couldn't eat anymore. They sure looked pretty though.

You can take the fish out of the swamp but you can't take the swamp out of the fish.....

Cheers.
The best place for male brook trout this time of year (actually any time of year)is back down the hole. Not nearly as good to eat as a female, and the amount of slime on them is a pain in the *****
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The best place for male brook trout this time of year (actually any time of year)is back down the hole. Not nearly as good to eat as a female, and the amount of slime on them is a pain in the *****
x2 to that. They are ok smoked.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Well looks like we need to get a trip arranged in the near future Stang and get me,you, and braun out on the ice to hammer some fish.

I have all weekend off this weekend if you guys want to meet up somewhere and see what we can hook into. If you want to both head down this way I may be able to get us on to some jumbo perch possibly.

Nate
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Good looking fish,, bet they would be tasty with some seasoning and butter.. Good to see a fellow enjoyng a few...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
It's my favorite time of year for sure. Early season ice and the brookies are crusin' and fun to catch. Hit the lake west of Caroline for 3 hrs with Braun. Met The fisherman guy and a buddy there as well (thanks for the awesome pepperoni, delicous!). Action was pretty good until 11 but by then we had 8. Packed up and then headed to Burnstick. Fished on the west side of the lake. Ice was about 8-10" already, no tracks and didn't see much for holes punched yet. Tried a few spots and managed 20 or so very small perch. Had to be back in the city by 5 so didn't stay long at burnstick but if anyone wants to go, ice is safe for walking and quadding (we quadded out on both). Saw a plane land on the ice and then they cam and asked how thick the ice was LOL.

great fish mustang... if you dont mind me asking what lake was that?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Great pictures and catch!!! You inspired me too shake my junk and get out for Brookies at my local lake!!

Keep your line wet and you hands Dry!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM

The picture of the plane is on burnstick
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Was that you on Sun? Didn't even recognize you with all the gear on. I was to the right of the parking lot, had all the kids with us. Anna ended up pulling in a real nice brookie. 1.76 lbs on my scale.
Wish I knew that was you, would have chatted for a bit, but with the kids I was just trying to get a line in. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Negative. This was Sat and different lake
Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 PM

ok good! would have liked to chat if it was you.
We need to plan spray!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
ok good! would have liked to chat if it was you.
We need to plan spray!
First off, very nice fish Nicemustang and good on you for letting Fish Hunter 7 know the name of that lake. LOL. Sorry Fish Hunter7 I couldn't resist.

I'm sorry if this is hijacking your thread Nicemustang but I was wondering if Fish Brain (of yourself if you know) could tell me how the bite was at the lake he and Big Toad were fishing. I've found it a little slow but I was wondering if that doesn't have more to do with my game plan than the fish. Thanks and once again sorry if I hijacked your thread Nicemustang.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM

I am purposely not saying the name of the lake because of all the lurkers around here. But if you really wanted to know the lake and more info, you just have to PM and I will decide if you are a good member to AOF and will be happy to give the information out.