Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I am purposely not saying the name of the lake because of all the lurkers around here. But if you really wanted to know the lake and more info, you just have to PM and I will decide if you are a good member to AOF and will be happy to give the information out.
That's what I figured. I did get a laugh at your resopnse to his question though. Technically you did give him the name of the lake, just not the one that all the fish came out of. LOL. Thank you very much for the offer but I won't bug you for the name of the lake you were on, although it is good to know that people are still willing to help out their fellow angler, cheers. I was kind of wondering about the activity on Birch Lake but I will find out for myself this weekend. From the sounds of your original post, Brookies should be fairly active this time of year and early in the morning sounds like the best time of day. Of course I'm sure this is affected my numberous other factors but we'll see what happens. Thanks again for the pictures and the offer. Your a credit to the sport!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Yep, fish are fairly active. Get setup early and don't go too deep and keep the presentation small but fairly agressive and you should be fine!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Yep, fish are fairly active. Get setup early and don't go too deep and keep the presentation small but fairly agressive and you should be fine!
Thanks Nicemustang! Just one last question. When you say agressive presentation are you referring to jigging or movement of the hook?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanx for the tips Stang, gonna go a little shallower next time I'm out for brookies. I figured 12-15fow was a bit too deep but we got lazy and didn't want to move to much. I also agree, location is KEY.
Cheers n GL all! Be safe
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Thanks Nicemustang! Just one last question. When you say agressive presentation are you referring to jigging or movement of the hook?
Hey I can't give out all the secrets now can I? I'll give you a hint though...brookies are minnow predators.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I usually go the opposite, a large bait that you probably wouldn't even consider on a pot hole rainbow.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM

I found this past weekend my success rate increased after I downsized my minnows from medium to small (matched my jig size better). Using 1/16 jigs I believe. Was catching them in 7-9 fow. Gotta hide that hook completely as they do bite light. Seems they come around in spurts. Ten minutes of action then nothing for about 45 min. Everytime we move location we get InstaBite.

Kinda neat how one can move the shanty 12 ft and u go from 3fow to 20fow.
location location location.
Cheers n Gl all!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Something has definitely changed in the past week as this weekend we only spotted one fish the entire day. First tried same spot and depth as last weekend with same lures, nothing. Through the day, I moved all over from 4 to 15 FOW with all different sizes and lures. Maybe the lunar eclipse was turning them right off.

Talked to others out there and they mentioned the same thing, last week was awesome and suddenly it died mid-week.