Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Default fly presentations on the bow

How are you guys presenting your flies this time of year? Do you change ur presentations at all?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 PM

the browns reacted instanlty on a drag free drift on my rebel lure down a seam.
i casted and retreived and varied it with no results.
Flies im gussing you want to do the sam thing drag free drift streamers
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Well i was drifting san juans copper johns near the inglewood area i also tried out some mubblers and a few others i picked up i didnt reallly plan on fishing while i was here but i had to try it out since im so close to the bow i only got a few hits on the muddler im not sure if im using the right flies for time of year i dont have amything to check the hatch or nething
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM

doesn't really matter when the bow is chocolate milk, just need to put the fly right in front of their mouth.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Well another day she was slow this afternoon. Not really any risers compared to the last few days. I cant seem to find out what theyre eating. Ive cycled through several nymphs a wooly bugger san juan worm had a couple hits but nothing serious. What are you guys using for flies right now?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Well another day she was slow this afternoon. Not really any risers compared to the last few days. I cant seem to find out what theyre eating. Ive cycled through several nymphs a wooly bugger san juan worm had a couple hits but nothing serious. What are you guys using for flies right now?
My guess is your flies are good, its the presentation that your doing wrong.

Your rig is too heavy also I'll bet.One fly with a drag free drift will always out fish a 3 fly rig thats dragging.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM

im not using them as a multi fly set up i usually only fish a single fly at a time ive been fycling them. I understand what ur telling me. I think i might be reading the water wrong if u think ive got the right flies im fishing in an eddie and the current splits up and is churning back ive been casting into both currents one at a time and in the still water it created trying to find the fish i know are there the visibility is pretty poor could that be having an effect most of the flies im using save the sanjuan worm are pretty dark like olive green, grey, black, brown. I was thinking i should go with some attractor flies instead of immitations. Im definately no expert when it comes to fly fishing hope this makes sense..... thanks for the tips
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Well the dirty water doesn't help thats for sure.Fly fishing into an eddie can be difficult with all the different currents.Stand downstream more and cast up into the bottom of the pool.Your fly line should float back to you all at the same speed.If its not, go down stream more.You'll be stripping line back as it floats toward you.Start in close fish can hold in water thats less then 2'deep.Set your rig to the depth your fishing.
I'm no pro but after watching others fish these are the mistakes i see the most.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 PM

The current is definately a big challenge finding tue right spot to cast has presented it sepf a few times ill give it a try today and see how i do
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Well it was far too windy to use the fly rod today maybe next time im down here